RTI International is an independent, nonprofit research institute dedicated to improving the human condition. Clients rely on us to answer questions that demand an objective and multidisciplinary approach – one that integrates expertise across the social and laboratory sciences, engineering, and international development. We believe in the promise of science, and we are inspired every day to deliver on that promise for the good of people, communities, and businesses around the world.E-WASH is now looking for candidates with expertise and experience for the position below:
Job Title: Consultant – Wash Policy Review
Job Type: Short Term Consultancies
- RTI International in collaboration with Plan International and other partners is implementing a 4-year USAID funded Effective Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (E-WASH) program.
- E-WASH will provide technical assistance to state governments to improve urban water service delivery by strengthening the governance, financial, and technical viability of six (6) state water boards (SWBs) in Nigeria.
- This is part of the United States Government’s (USG) efforts working with the Federal Government of Nigeria to address the heart of the challenges faced by the urban water, sanitation, and hygiene (WASH) services.
- The overall goal is improvement of urban water and sanitation service delivery.
- The Effective Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (E-WASH) project, is seeking to identify a technically strong Consultant to support the undertaking of review and validation of Taraba State WASH Policy, identify the gaps and make recommendations to the State Integrated Steering Committee.
- The consultant must be willing to spend up to 2 weeks (12 working days) for the exercise in April 2019 i.e. from Monday April 15, 2019. Women candidates that meet the criteria below are strongly encouraged to apply.
Objectives of the Baseline Survey
- The overall objective of the review is to advise and make recommendations to inputs where necessary on the draft to produce E-WASH policy that will meet the Sustainable Development Goals of the WASH sector in the State to bring the urban water service providers to the level of being professionally managed and commercially viable.
Consultant on Institutional and Policy Review:
- One of the key objectives of the EWASH is the creation of enabling environment for the SWB to achieve financial sustainability, professional management and generally operational, financial and management autonomy (based on good corporate governance principles).
- The objective of this assignment is therefore to undertake baseline study of the draft policy framework for water & sanitation services for the Taraba State Government, identify gaps and make recommendations on the draft policy that will clearly define the 3 WASH sectors (Rural , Semi Urban and Urban); clear roles and responsibilities for the various stakeholders; the need for autonomy, commercialization, private sector inclusion in service delivery, promotion of public-private partnerships; gender mainstreaming and the role of women in sustainable water supply etc.
Qualifications and Experience
- At least a Master’s degree in Institutional Development, Corporate Governance, Regulatory Reforms, Development Studies or any such related fields.
- Understanding of the policy framework for rural and urban water and sanitation
- Demonstrated knowledge of the institutional arrangement of rural, semi urban and urban water services
- Ability to articulate an understanding of the institutional roles and responsibility of the water and sanitation service delivery
- At least 12 years of experience in at least two of the above areas i.e. institutional reforms and policy development
- Experience in designing and implementing water sector reforms an advantage
- Demonstrated understanding of state water supply and sanitation sector in Nigeria
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit by e-mail only an Application Letter and a CV as ONE SINGLE WORD document to (not more than 7 pages) to: [email protected]
Note: In the SUBJECT line of your e-mail you must only put the position you are interested in. Women are strongly encouraged to apply
Application Deadline: 11th April, 2019.