Save the Children is the world’s leading independent organisation for children. We work in 120 countries. We save children’s lives; we fight for their rights; we help them fulfil their potential. We work together, with our partners, to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives.
We are recruiting to fill the vacant position below:
Job Title: Monitoring & Evaluation Director – OVC
Location: Southern Nigeria
Job Type: Full Time
- Save the Children is seeking an experienced Monitoring & Evaluation Director for an anticipated USAID/PEPFAR-funded project providing support to orphans and vulnerable children (OVC) in Nigeria.
- S/he will also guide reporting processes amongst technical staff and consolidate program reports, promote learning and knowledge sharing of best practices and lessons learnt and the use of data for programmatic improvement.
- S/he will support technical staff in M&E functions and will manage any M&E related staff in the project.
- This is a leadership role and will serve as a key member of the project team.
- The goal of the five-year project is to reduce HIV impact, vulnerability and risk, as well as increase high impact HIV services to improve the well-being of orphans and vulnerable children (OVC) in southern Nigeria.
- Overall, the project seeks to improve health, nutrition, psycho-social well-being and educational outcomes; and reduced abuse of children affected by HIV.
- The Monitoring & Evaluation Director (M&E) will be responsible for leading the design and implementation of the program monitoring plan, evaluation framework and management information system to track delivery against outputs, outcomes and impacts.
- S/he will lead analysis of data collected for the assessment of progress and improvements.
- This position is contingent upon donor approval and funding.
Development of Project Monitoring and Evaluation Systems:
- Lead the design and implementation of the program monitoring plan.
- Ensure an effective rollout of M&E collection and reporting systems to all staff and partners through training, site visits, manuals, and other technical support as needed. Ensure systems are well understood and properly implemented by staff and partners.
- Develop and train relevant staff and partners on data collection tools, additional program assessments, analytic plans and study protocols as necessary.
- Ensure that systems developed capture appropriate cost and financial information to enable development and tracking of value for money indicators over the project, including benchmarking information to analyze program effectiveness and cost effective inputs.
- Ensure that all tools accommodate different levels of expertise and computer literacy, from community groups, to partners, to project staff.
- Set up and maintain the routine data flow and reporting schedule, providing technical assistance and support to ensure a system for the collection of quality data is maintained and data is used to inform programmatic decisions.
- Develop a system for capturing and documenting data and relevant information on project activities, beneficiaries, outputs, outcomes, and impact, which is feasible, practical, and “user friendly”, and will obtain valid and reliable information.
- Develop the projects Performance Monitoring Plan based on USAID reporting requirements.
- Ensure that systems developed capture both quantitative and qualitative information to measure results as detailed in the Project’s Results Framework.
- Ensure that routine monitoring data is shared with implementation team and partners, and facilitate program learning processes to support evidence-based program adaptation.
Implementation of Project Progress and Quality Monitoring Systems:
- Working with partners and state teams, ensure that all information and data is collected, documented, and collated in an accurate and timely manner.
- Serve as the SCI Nigeria’s project contact person on SIMS and other assessment as may be instituted by USAID
- Support the management of the SCI Complaint and Response Mechanisms and accountability assessments
- Coordinate Project Evaluations, Assessments, Operations Research and Other Studies
- Design and execute program assessments and evaluations to learn from program data.
- Initiate and lead dissemination of program data to promote data use and establish processes for the routine analysis and use of data for program improvements.
- Participate in forums to disseminate best practices and lessons learned.
- Conduct periodic supportive supervision and Data Quality Assessment visits to state teams, partners, and communities and ensure results for improvement are shared with all stakeholders in project implementation
- Ensure that information is shared with communities, children, and other stakeholders through a regular feedback mechanism.
- Support Program Management to ensure programming quality is constantly audited and meets/exceeds requirements.
Manage Project Databases:
- Prepare high quality, accurate and timely monthly reports for Save the Children Nigeria, project partners and donors.
- Design and develop information products to disseminate project progress (Programs Review Presentation, M&E Bulletin)
- Coordinate monthly project review and learning meetings with consortium partners and CSOs.
- Facilitate trainings on using project/USAID approved databases and software (DHIS2, NOMIS).
- Monitor roll out and functionality of databases across implementing CSOs.
- Institute Functional Reporting, Knowledge Management and Learning Platforms
M&E Capacity Strengthening:
- Ensure that the project’s M&E system is integrated with overall M&E systems for the SC Nigeria Country Program.
- Identify the need for additional technical support to ensure effective program delivery and coordinate support allocation.
- Provide on-going support to state teams, partners, and communities to maintain M&E systems; identify skill gaps to address in subsequent refresher trainings.
- Ensure regular reviews of the M&E system; make improvements as needed in consultation with managers, staff, and partners.
- Advanced Degree in Statistics, Mathematics, Social Sciences, Public Health, Business, Informatics, International Relations or other relevant discipline.
- Experience designing, implementing and analyzing research protocols, including both quantitative and qualitative research methods and an understanding of the ethical considerations necessary for research.
- Knowledge of the major evaluation methodologies (e.g., qualitative, quantitative, mixed-method, and impact) and data collection and analysis methodologies.
- Ability to build support from staff across teams and across members, and to build the capacity of others.
- Proven ability to coordinate effective resource allocation to ensure quality programmes.
- Sound strategic thinking and planning skills, including ability to think creatively and innovate and to set priorities, manageable work plans and evaluate progress.
- Strong communications skills (both written and verbal); ability to analyze complex data and summarize it for a range of audiences.
- Advanced training in quantitative methodologies, including database management; experience in qualitative research techniques a plus
- Minimum of seven years’ experience, of which at least three years at a senior level, in designing and implementing monitoring and evaluation activities for complex programs in developing countries. Previous experience on USAID programs and health or social welfare-focused programs preferred.
- Demonstrated experience and understanding of PEPFAR MER Indicators, particularly OVC outcomes indicators and PEPFAR 3.0.
- Demonstrated experience in setting up and managing M&E systems that track performance as per the objectives of this project (e.g., OVC services, performance against each result area).
- Experience developing and refining data collection tools.
- Experience in cost benefit analysis, economic appraisal or other value for money methodologies.
- Experience working within budget constraints.
- Commitment to SC’s mission, values and approach (includes child protection, equal opportunities, health, and safety).
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply