Save the Children is a leading international organization helping children in need around the world. First established in the UK in 1919, separate national organizations have been set up in more than twenty-eight countries, sharing the aim of improving the lives of children through education, health care and economic opportunities, as well as emergency aid in cases of natural disasters, war and conflict.
In Nigeria, Save the Children has been working since 2001. The early focus was on getting children actively involved in shaping the decisions that affect their lives. Today, Save the Children is working in seven federal states – Zamfara, Yobe, Jigawa, Katsina, Kano, Bauchi and Kaduna – focusing on providing basic healthcare and protecting children.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Safety and Security Officer
Job Id: sav-65859
The Safety and Security Officer will work closely with the National Safety and Security Manager in the country office to:
- Ensure compliance with SCI safety and security culture that reflects our mandate and values, promotes accountability and high performance that enable our team deliver outstanding results for children and excellent customer service for our Members and donors.
- Ensure all Country Office team, visitors and partners complies with all Save the Children S&S Management Operating Standards and Procedures.
- Ensure that all required support is provided promptly, at scale and in line with the rules and principles during emergencies, especially in case of security-related crisis.
Key Areas of Accountability
- Carry out periodic and occasioned S&S field contextual assessments and generate reports for the use of both the programme team and the CO.
- Regular collection and collation and analysis of all S&S information across the country and field locations SCI work in Nigeria.
- Collect and keep movement tracking records, follow-up on movement tracking timing and file a trip completion records and report trip stoppages and hitches for immediate follow-up.
- Prepare reports that document Safety and security breaches and the extent of the damage caused by the breaches.
- Carry out Incident/actor mapping and produce relevant reports and advisory for the CO/programme team.
- Assist in the preparation and conduct of S&S trainings and programmes for programme staff/visitors/partners.
- Support the ID-Card Management System in the Country Office (CO).
- Documents the changes and up-grades in the CO fleet movement and management.
- Carry out/support incidents investigations both in the CO and Field Offices (FO)
- Regular updates of S&S contextual changes in Abuja and various SCI location to the CO team.
- Represent the SCI S&S Dept. at any external network meeting in Zamfara area.
- Carry out any other duty/responsibilities assigned by the National Safety and Security Manager/CD.
Qualifications, Experience and Attributes
- Degree level qualifications in any of humanities or sciences and Security management. (longer period of experience can be taken in place of Degree)
- At least three years work experience with an INGO performing Safety and security functions
- Strong learning attitude and capacity to learning and development technical and professional skills.
- Highly developed cultural awareness and ability to work well in an internationally diverse environment.
- Willingness to work and travel in often difficult and insecure environments
- Fluency in English and other Nigerian local languages is a plus.
- Knowledge and understanding of Nigeria’s Diversity, particularly in the humanitarian sector.
Skills and Behaviours:
- Strong proficiency in the use of Office suites. i.e. Outlook, Microsoft word, Excel, PowerPoint etc.
- Nose-for-news’ and ability to spot flaws in systems.
- Have good oral, written communication and presentations skills.
- Covert Information Gathering and analysis skills using good knowledge of management practice and technologies used in the sector.
- Good understanding of INGOs programming. ie. Humanitarian principles
- Basic knowledge of Fraud and criminal investigation procedures and methods.
- Critical thinking and excellent logical skills.
- Honest, openness and transparency, builds trust and confidence
- Consistent excellent judgement.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 21st August, 2018.