Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children in need, with programs in over 120 countries. We save children’s lives. We fight for their rights. We help them fulfil their potential. Save the Children is working in Nigeria because one in five children in Nigeria dies before their fifth birthday.
About 40% of children miss out on school and have to work to survive while nearly 2 million children have lost one or both parents to an AIDS-related disease. We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Procurement Officer
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Job ID: 200004HB
Employee Status: Permanent
Reports to: Procurement Coordinator
Staff directly reporting to this post: Procurement Assistant and Intern
Budget responsibility: None
- Level 3 – The responsibilities of the post may require the post holder to have regular contact with or access to children or young people.
- The Procurement Officer is responsible for managing procurement processes to ensure effective, transparent and accountable support to Save the Children’s programmes in Borno State.
- Under the supervision of the Procurement Coordinator to ensure adequate consideration for coordination of supplies deliveries and planning of program implementation.
- Provide technical advice and guidance to program/support teams on procurement of goods and services and on best procurement practices. Anticipate procurement bottlenecks and resolve them ahead of issues.
Key Areas Of Accountability
Procurement and Supply:
- Implement procurement as per approved Save the Children International guidelines, procedures and form.
- Check the availability and prices of requested items in the local market; liaise with the Country Office if procurement must be conducted there.
- Maintain and regularly update the price list.
- Maintain and regularly update current suppliers’ database.
- Maintain, keep up to date and share a weekly procurement tracker, showing the current status of the requested items and the date which they are expected to be supplied to the projects.
- Organize the collection of the required number of quotes for all relevant procurement.
- Advise the budget holder on contract allocation if relevant. Call for procurement committee meetings, take notes and document the decision-making process.
- Draft POs according to the procurement committee’s proceedings for review of the relevant manager and submit for budget holder approval.
- Collate all payment files and submit to SCM for the check before submission to budget holder and finance for payment.
- Prepare monthly summary report on the payment, identifying problems in operations and solution proposed.
- Oversee all arrangement for meetings and conferences as required, ensuring these are delivered to a high quality and cost-effectively.
- Line manage all Procurement Assistants under supervision of the position by managing performance on an ongoing basis.
- Manage supplier relationship up to the delivery of goods/completion of service.
- Follow up with finance office on outstanding payment files. In liaison with the Supply chain Manager, troubleshoot files incompleteness and/or inconsistencies.
- Maintain and keep up to date a hard documentation filing system for procurement files allowing easy reference for audit purpose.
- Comply with all relevant Save the Children policies and procedures with respect to child protection, code of conduct, fraud, health and safety, equal opportunities and other relevant policies.
- Carry out any other tasks required by the line manager in line with job description and capacity development plan.
- Maintain all procurement files in an organized, accurate and up to date manner.
- Produce weekly procurement tracker and send to programs and management team at field level.
- Generate any other procurement related reports upon request (item category/donor/time/budget/base etc)
Skills And Behaviours (our Values in Practice)
- Accuracy and timeliness in all areas of responsibility
- High level of accuracy in work and the ability to analyse complex sets of relationships and situations.
- Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- Holds suppliers accountable to deliver on their responsibilities.
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and takes responsibility for their own personal development.
- Creating best in class function
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- Future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale
- Work effectively with stakeholders to achieve common goals
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to; builds and maintains effective relationships with colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters
- Values diversity and different people’s perspectives, able to work cross-culturally.
- Designs more effective administrative system
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Cuts away bureaucracy and encourages an entrepreneurial approach
- Willing to take disciplined risk
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency, builds trust and confidence
- Displays consistent excellent judgement
Qualifications And Experience
Administrative & General Skills:
- Level of education – Bachelor’s degree / HND in Procurement / Logistics, Supply Chain Management, Business Administration, Accounting or related field
- Professional international qualification in Procurement or Logistics (e,g CIPS, CILT) an added advantage
- Communication and interpersonal skill level – Excellent
- Language requirement – English and Hausa
- Level of IT literacy required – Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Email System, Internet browsing- Excellent
- Highly organised with good administration skills for order and information management, able to develop filing systems and databases to ensure an auditable trail.
- Ability and willingness to change work practices and hours in the event of major emergencies including travelling at short notice and for extended periods of time
- Desire number of years in a similar position – minimum 3 years post-NYSC
- Experience in procurement and logistics in INGO – minimum of 2 years
- Experience in a relatively insecure field-based environment
- Commitment to Save the Children values
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Application Deadline: 23rd August, 2020.