Save the Children is a leading international organization helping children in need around the world. First established in the UK in 1919, separate national organizations have been set up in more than twenty-eight countries, sharing the aim of improving the lives of children through education, health care and economic opportunities, as well as emergency aid in cases of natural disasters, war and conflict.
In Nigeria, Save the Children has been working since 2001. The early focus was on getting children actively involved in shaping the decisions that affect their lives. Today, Save the Children is working in seven federal states – Zamfara, Yobe, Jigawa, Katsina, Kano, Bauchi and Kaduna – focusing on providing basic healthcare and protecting children.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Education Context Specialist
Job Ref.: EDUCA02265
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Job type: Full-Time
- Save the Children is recruiting an Education Context Specialist for a 3-year USAID-funded project to support Education in Emergencies programming in the Northeast states of Nigeria.
- The Education Context Specialist will provide technical leadership as well as strategic support to the project team.
- S/he will work closely with other Technical Specialists including the Teacher Education and Reading Specialists and the senior project team to ensure education project’s design and implementation adhere to international norms and standards of conflict sensitivity, specifically the INEE Conflict Sensitive Education pack, and address both the direct and indirect impacts of conflict within the project to promote positive gains for students and teachers in the project areas.
- The Education Context Specialist will be required to travel to field sites for project oversight and targeted technical assistance.
- Additionally, s/he will ensure representation and coordination with project partners and external stakeholders, such as local and international NGOs, CBOs, local and central government authorities as relevant and required.
What You’ll Be Doing (Essential Duties)
- The Education Context Specialist will liaise closely with other technical specialists as well as the Chief of Party (COP), Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP), and partners to support the project’s objectives.
- Key responsibilities will include:
- Work with the Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (MEL) Advisor to lead on the Rapid Education and Risk Analysis and continued conflict analysis within the education sector to better understand the dynamics of conflict as it influences all aspects of the proposed education program.
- Ensure that the results of the analysis drive the program’s design, implementation, and monitoring and evaluation by closely collaborating with the broader project team, empowering staff with essential knowledge and skills through training and continued technical support, and collaborating with project and partner staff to appropriately monitor and measure impact and progress through a conflict sensitive education lens.
- Support policies to protect children from abuse and exploitation and support emergency preparedness and readiness through Conflict and Disaster Risk Reduction planning.
- Work with Teacher Education and the Wellbeing Specialists to promote equity and the holistic development of children by supporting the delivery of teaching, curriculum and materials that are free of gender and social prejudices and build competencies for responsible citizenship, conflict transformation and resilience.
- Support education system strengthening and stabilization by enhancing staff capacity and competencies and promoting fairness, transparency and accountability.
- Ensure the quality of interventions is standardized across the project (approaches, tools, learning etc.)
- Oversee development or contextualization of resources to specifically address conflict sensitivity within reference, training, and guidance materials.
- Support the preparation of timely and quality program reports on project activities in compliance with project requirements.
- Ensure close engagement of and partnerships with related government Ministries, Departments and Agencies (MDAs), donor-funded programs, private/commercial entities, and NGOs.
- Collaborate with other technical leads and the senior management team of the project to assess capacity needs of staff and partners as related specifically to conflict-sensitive education (CSE)
- Contexualize INEE CSE training materials and create Nigeria-specific training materials; work with the MEL Advisor to monitor and evaluate the use of CSE concepts and approaches within the program
- Facilitate training of trainers and support the cascade of training at state level
- Support and advise projects’ technical team on key decisions
- Provide continuous support to project team in program implementation, reporting, staff capacity building and management, sector coordination and key technical areas
Sub-Sector Coordination Representation & Advocacy:
- Document lessons learned for wider dissemination with EiE stakeholders at field and at national levels upon request.
- In collaboration with senior program staff, assist in advocacy activities that target decision-makers at all levels.
- Identify opportunities and material to contribute to emergency education communications and media work
- Master’s level degree in Education, Conflict Studies, or other relevant technical area.
- At least 10 years providing technical support to education programming in complex contexts with at least 5 years demonstrated experience working on conflict issues in humanitarian responses
- Substantial progressive, professional-level experience in relevant technical areas
- Proven technical expertise in conflict sensitive education and the application of concepts/approaches in programming
- Additional technical expertise or experience in key thematic areas such as child-centered learning methodologies, teacher pre- and in-service education, and community participation.
- Demonstrated experience in international NGOs
- Experience of applying relevant interagency humanitarian frameworks and standards in EiE (for example INEE Minimum Standards)
- Demonstrated monitoring and evaluation skills
- Ability to work both in an advisory and a hands on implementation capacity
- Ability to write clear and well-argued assessment and project report
- Ability to liaise and effectively coordinate with government, local NGOs and community initiatives.
- Excellent communication skills
- Strong influencing skills and experience in advocacy
- Politically and culturally sensitive with qualities of patience, tact and diplomacy
- A high level of written and spoken English
- Good interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate and negotiate clearly and effectively at all levels, taking into account cultural and language difficulties.
- Experience in representation, including Cluster coordination, and ability to represent effectively in external forums
- Commitment to working through systems of community participation and accountability
- Proven capacity to supervise, train, coach and mentor staff
- Understanding of local languages
- Previous experience in Nigeria or similarly complex, high-risk environments
Interested and qualified candidates should: Click here to apply
Job Title: Application Developer – MNutrition System
Job type: Full-time
- The post holder will support the entire application lifecycle (concept, design, test, release and support), produce fully functional mobile applications, gather user requirements and suggest solutions, Troubleshoot and debug applications to optimize performance
- Design interfaces (plan new features) to improve user experience in collaboration with the Nutrition and IT teams
- He/She will ensure that new and legacy applications meet quality standards, research and suggest new mobile products, applications and protocols based on acceptability and usage from implementation sites while staying up-to-date with new technology trends.
- S/he will be responsible for implementing and developing a variety of communications pieces including email announcements, communications and training materials as agreed.
- This role provides professional technical, communications and administrative support to the Nutrition team. The Post holder will develop and maintain high quality mobile applications for the A&T and WINNN programme
- He/She be expected to collaborate with implementation teams to develop functional mobile applications, while working in a fast-paced department
- The post holder is also expected to provide critical support to data/information management and communications activities, assisting the Alive and Thrive team by developing and implementing an appropriate communications products and outputs for the team
- S/he will work closely with the Alive and Thrive team both in the States and Country Office, to plan their communications, logistics and administrative needs. Also, s/he will support the team in meeting documentations, compilation and filing of Project reports and other relevant Project documents
Scope of Role
- The post holder will work closely with Programme Manager and Senior SBCC Officer.
- Reports to: A&T Programme Manager
- Matrix Manager – IT Manager
- Development of online marketing and publicity
- Lead the design and roll out of the A&T IPC component through mobile phones
- Support the state teams on the use of mobile phone technology for IPC and reporting
- Ensure IT support for the project and users
- Develop functional mobile application for WINNN & Alive & Thrive
- Development of infographics and other visual content for mobile app
- Support the design, test, release and support of the mobile app
- Ensure that all legacy audio visual content from WINNN & Alive and Thrive are migrated to the mobile app
- Management of all audio-visual content of the nutrition team and uploading unto the app
- Setting up and roll out of mobile app on programme mobile devices for beneficiaries
- Training of beneficiaries and rollout of application use in Lagos, Kaduna, Jigawa and Yobe states
The job duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the Post holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience.
Qualifications, Experience and Skills
- A high degree of flexibility and adaptability in order to respond to changing needs.
- Experience in drafting communications materials such as emails, newsletter content, internet content, etc.
- Understanding of NGO operations.
- Demonstrable experience working with various social media.
- Competency in Microsoft Office, design software and other digital tools.
- Proactive approach to work and the ability to identify and implement effective processes for achieving outcomes.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- A commitment to the Save the Children values.
- Proven work experience as a Mobile Developer
- Demonstrable portfolio of released applications
- In-depth knowledge of at least one programming language like Swift and Java
- Experience with third-party libraries and APIs
- Familiarity with OOP design principles
- Excellent analytical skills with a good problem-solving attitude
- Ability to perform in a team environment
- B.Sc Degree in Computer Science or relevant field
- Understanding of communications and staff engagement within a high profile global organisation utilising a range of new and traditional media.
- Good communication skills (verbal and written) and displays the potential for distilling complex information and materials into digestible and inspiring messages.
- Excellent organisational skills. Ability to manage a large workload in a pressured environment, working to short and long term objectives and tight deadlines. Attention to detail and ability to follow tasks and ideas through to completion.
Interested and qualified candidates should: Click here to apply
Application Deadline 17th October, 2018.
- Applicants are advised that Save the Children International does not require any payment or expense during the entire recruitment process. Any request in this direction should be immediately reported as it is contrary to the values and practices of our organization.
- Due to the volume of applications received, Save the Children may not provide feedback to all applicants. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Qualified candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible, as applications will be reviewed as received. Save the Children reserves the right to change the closing date, if considered necessary.