UNICEF Nigeria seeks the services of an experienced Shipping Assistant who will under the general supervision of the Supply Manager provide support in matters regarding obtaining customs exemptions documentations from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, maintain records and provide updates as required.
Post Title: Shipping Assistant, GS 5
Vacancy number: VN-NGR-09-2011
Contract Type: Fixed Term
Duration: Two years
The successful candidate will be expected to carry out the following duties:
- Maintain contact with Customs, Immigration Officials and Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Follow-up on supply clearance documentations to facilitate timely customs clearance of supplies and equipment in keeping with established protocol.
- Prepares all Customs Declaration, note verbal, letters of concession and any other letters relevant to customs release of UNICEF’s shipment; obtain MOFA/Custom’s approval in timely manner to avoid accrual of demurrage.
- Respond to queries from Supply Division/Programme Sections/Field Offices on all Off-shore related issues. Maintains records relating to all Offshore PGMs and shipping documentation in such a manner which would enhance retrieval of information pertaining thereto; Prepares monitoring reports on activities relating to Note Verbale and agent invoices.
- Constantly advise Section Chief on latest developments in the fields of duty exemption and clearance of UNICEF and Procurement Services Supplies, tariff fluctuations at National Aviation Handling Company (NAHCO) and Federal Airport Authority of Nigeria (FAAN). Physically attend to clearance of high value perishable items like vaccines and ensure quick delivery and safe storage.
- Scrutinizes invoices from the freight forwarders and certifies against established tariff rates. Requests CRQs from the relevant programme section with appropriate budget. Drafts and make copies of all payment requests for distribution to Finance and maintains relevant files.
- Liaisons with Field Offices and Oshodi warehouse, Lagos for recommended transport required for distribution of supplies to the projects and draft memo for the designated freight forwarder.
- Undertake additional responsibilities for small value procurement in absence of Supply Assistant.
Minimum Qualifications & Competencies
- Completion of Secondary School. University degree or its equivalent in Business Administration, Supply & Logistics Management or related field is desirable.
- Five years’ experience progressively in shipping, clearing and forwarding. Experience and strong updated knowledge in government shipping and clearing regulations is required.
- Fluency in English required. Knowledge of another UN language an asset.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a multi-cultural environment and establish harmonious and effective working relationships, both within and outside the organization.
- Integrity and commitment to UNICEF’s mission and professional values.
- Communication, Working with People and Drive for result.
- Analyzing, Learning and Researching, Planning and Organizing, Following instructions and Procedures.
Method of Application
If you are interested in the positions and meet the requirements, please forward your application in a sealed envelope marked ‘confidential’ quoting the vacancy number addressed to:
The Human Resources Manager,
UNICEF, UN House,
Plot 617/618, Central Area District,
P.M.B 2851, Garki Abuja
by close of business oapplicationn Tuesday, 28 November 2011.
Your should include a completed UN Personal History Form (which can be downloaded from here
); your curriculum vitae with your current detailed contact information to include a telephone number & email address and a one-page summary statement that describes how your experience and qualification relate to the job description above.
UNICEF, a smoke-free environment, is committed to gender equality in its mandate and its staff. Well qualified candidates, particularly women are strongly encouraged to apply.