Solidaridad West Africa (SWA) is a not-for-profit organisation that supports the sustainable development of production systems in West Africa. We play a catalytic role by partnering with private sector companies and other stakeholders to foster the development of socially responsible, ecologically sound and profitable supply chains. Our activities in West Africa are focused on cocoa, gold, oil palm, cotton, soy, fruits and vegetable, livestock and leather and other commodities.
As one of the Regional Expertise Centres (REC) within Solidaridad’s international network, we are part of a growing global organization advocating and supporting sustainable and responsible production and trade, SWA focuses on stimulating sustainable supply chains through the introduction of innovations in good practices, climate-smart agriculture, robust infrastructure, sustainable landscapes management and enabling policy. We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Programme Officer
Location: Zaria-Kaduna and Kano
- The purpose of the Programme Officers position is to improve food, nutrition security and livelihoods of farming households in Kaduna and Kano states, through the provision of agriculture-related community development services especially community mobilization, awareness building, training and advocacy and counselling services.
Planning and leadership:
- Community Empowerment and Training
- Monitor households and markets for progress and relevant changes based on agreed terms in order to make
- Lead in Rapid Market Assessments
- Facilitate the implementation of project activities and monitoring
- Technical Support and Facilitation
- Facilitate the establishment of relevant community-based committees for project sustainability, beneficiary targeting and verification
- Ensure the intended project beneficiaries receive the required services to improve households
- Collaborate WIth the PMEL team to collate relevant monitoring and evaluation data and maintain an accurate database.
- Ensure that beneficiaries follow appropriate agronomic practices that lead to behavioural and attitude changes in cultivation approaches /farming practices
Programme Development And Resource Mobilization:
- Support the development of innovative solutions to complex challenges
- Support the field technical teams in designating the vulnerability targeting criteria and dissemination to communities, and local authorities
- Support programme implementation
- Work closely with field office level operations departments to ensure Standard of Procedures for programming used for implementation and adapted as required to each context
- Oversee information and shared learning across teams and ensure that monitoring and evaluation results are documented and understood as the basis for improved programming.
- Encourage active participation of and networking between individuals and communities in recognizing problems, identifying
- Liaise between the project and the community to ensure the implementation of programme,
Advocacy and Community Organizing Support:
- Develop networks and maintain relationships with other local CBOs INGOs, and government working on food security, ensure meeting agendas, participation and minutes are recorded and circulated in a timely fashion.
- Provides technical, organizational support and plays a facilitation role in the communities including promoting the awareness on agricultural technology and best practices, awareness creation and linkages and behavioural change through education, information and communication
- Establish and maintains a close working relationship with communities and community organizations to ensure that the messages are disseminated and understood at all levels
- Build capacities of the community and social institutions! groups in the communities assigned.
- Conduct community meetings with farmers, CBOs ensuring inclusion of all vulnerable persons especially women and youth.
- Effectively manage all data and Information Management needs and tools on the project.
- Pet-form other duties as he/she will be assigned
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- A Bachelor’s degree preferably in Community Development, Agriculture/Life Sciences, Communication/ Media Arts, Sociology or other relevant disciplines
- Willingness and ability to pick up new concepts , skills and approaches quickly
- NCE or HND with extensive community development experience may be considered on merit.
- Good communication and writing skills, ability to convey complex information in a straightforward manner in the local language(s) especially Hausa is essential.
- Strong interpersonal skills to establish and maintain effective working relations with multicultural and multi-ethnic teams, including working with partner organizations
- Strong facilitation and capacity building, mentoring and coaching skills
- Ability to synthesize and analyse data
- Proven experience in networking, influencing and negotiation skills
- Strong commitment and willingness to follow farmers through seasonal activities
- Fluency in spoken and written English Hausa and Fulfude desirable
- Training in rural development, climate change adaptation mechanisms or systems, horticulture
- Experience with subsistence farming and or organizing and working with rural cooperatives
- An understanding of the value chain of common vegetables and the rural markets
- Experience in identifying and implementing innovative ideas in cultivation and post-harvest handling of vegetables
- Good driving skills especially with motorbikes in rural terrains.
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Applications and Resume to: [email protected]
Application Deadline: 31st October, 2019
- Please indicate the position and preferred location in the subject
- A high priority would be given to qualified female applicants
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.