Terre des hommes Foundation (Tdh) is the leading Swiss NGO focusing on child rights. It is active in more than 30 countries with development and emergency projects. Tdh focuses its action on the two following areas of intervention: health and protection of particularly vulnerable children. Modern management and communication tools ensure the quality of Tdh’s projects. The Foundation constantly aims to improve its services.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Child Protection Project Manager
Duration: 6 months
Position Start Date: Middle of April 2018
- He/She is in charge of the implementation and supervision of the Child Protection project in Monguno (Kukawa & Kross Kawa) Borno State, Nigeria. He/she contributes to the development of a CP project strategy at country level together with the Protection Coordinator, the Child Protection Expert at HQ, and the Country Representative;
- He/she works in close coordination with governmental and non-governmental agencies, with the cluster system to develop, monitor and orientate the CP project
- He/she is expected to participate in child protection assessments, programme design and implementation at proposal and strategy level, as well as support on fundraising, recruitment and procurement, liaising and linking with other sectors in general
- He/she oversees the monitoring & evaluation of child protection activities
- He/she follows Country Representative strategy to work with all relevant authorities at district and community level (civil, religious, police and all other services) for a better implementation, acceptance and ownership in improving the conditions to protect children
- He/she will conduct his or her duties in respect of the Charter of Terre des hommes and the Tdh Child Protection Policy. Tdh expects that its contractors’ professional conduct reflect proper behaviour in accordance with local culture and traditions
- He/She will and ensure that Child Protection principles are being incorporated into the emergency programs.
Line Management and Human Resources Management:
- He/She Is in charge of the CP team recruitment and of the development and revision of job descriptions
- Ensure the whole team has a clear understanding of the Tdh CP mandate and project through an initial induction meeting followed by regular weekly and ad-hoc get-together with relevant staff;
- Lead and manage staff, encouraging effective team work and providing supervision and guidance, including regular and constructive feedback
- Report incidents and difficulties encountered with any staff members to the Country Representative
- Organise and lead weekly team meetings and provides weekly program update and movement plan to the Head of base.
- Develop, implement and monitor the Child Protection project in the target area, in accordance with multiple objectives, activities and targets outlined within current donor proposals and in line with projects’ budgets
- Ensure that activities are appropriately monitored and evaluated and propose, when deemed necessary, amendments to the child protection strategy, in consultation with the Country representative and the CPExpert at HQ
- Contribute to the initial and regular assessments of the Child Protection project and activities’ impact, including through field visits and staff get-together
- Forecast and follow up on expenditures related to the Child Protection project and participate in budget revision exercises;
- Develop the project’s M&E plan, including the design and development of data collection tools and ensure its correct implementation and monitor at field level;
- Collect data and information to report on project’s indicators and ensure that project is on track and if not, make the necessary adjustments;
- Contribute to project proposal development and fundraising in close collaboration with the Country Representative;
- Prepare timely purchase requests in line with the Child Protection project needs
- Support required actions by the administration related to protection team management and supervision
- Identify logistic and admin support needs related to the CP project and communicate these to the relevant log/admin support person.
- Capacity to establish a referral pathway for severe cases under supervision of the Child Protection Coordinator and the CPiE Expert at HQ
- Project Strategy and planning Under the supervision of the Country Representative participate in designing strategies and objectives for improved support to beneficiaries and contribute actively in its monitoring, evaluation and revision
- Participate in CP assessments and contribute to other assessment design and implementation if required
- Participate in the review of the strategy for Tdh in Nigeria if requested
- Database Oversee the implementation of the database tools
- Ensure correct data protection procedures and filing.
Coordination and Representation:
- Work in close collaboration and consultation with autorities, non-government actors, cluster system
- Works in close collaboration and consultation with the CP Coordinator , the CP Project Officer and in coordination with Tdh other departments (programme and support)
- Increase Tdh visibility in terms of CP in Damasak and participate to relevant meetings
- Represent Tdh in foras and meetings held at community and location level
- Develops a network to facilitate the project acceptance and stake holder’s contribution and ownership
- Participate to the Child Protection Working Group in his/her area of affectation.
- Ensure quality intervention through initial and refresher training on child protection in emergencies, psychosocial support and case management to CP dedicated staffers, including community volounteers. Continued coaching and mentoring of staff shall be guaranteed throughout the project’s duration;
- According to project’s activities be in charge of designing and delivering capacity building training and workshops to target beneficiaries, including health workers, implementing partners and institutions;
- Coordinate with other Tdh sectors to ensure child protection is mainstreamed into health and wash/hiygiene sectors;
- Work in close collaboration and consultation with available government structures, non-government actors, cluster system and community representatives
- Coordinate with other departments (programme and support) as per needs.
- Comply with Tdh Security Regulations
- Reports any security/safety incident and/or risk to the Logistic Coordinator
- Informs CP staff under his/her supervision on security rules defined by the Country Representative
Child Safeguarding Policy:
- Raising awareness within the Foundation on violence against children
- Providing guidance to employees and others and defining expectations when it comes to preventing, raising, denouncing and responding to issues of child abuse
- Reducing the risk of child abuse by selectively recruiting employees and others
- Reducing the risk of child abuse by developing a culture of open and informed leadership within the organization and in our work with children
- We offer an exciting and varied work, useful and meaningful, in a team that wants to make a difference for vulnerable children.
- University degree in Social Studies, Project Management and/or related subject
- Minimum 3 years of work experience as child protection project manager in humanitarian contexts with an INGO
- Throughout knowledge of interagency guidelines, standards and best practices in child protection, MHPSS and related subjects;
- Very good knowledge of the project cycle management with a focus on implementing project in hardship locations;
- Required qualities: organized, sense of human relations, diplomacy, communication skills, ability to work under pressure
- Desirable: proactive, autonomous, rigorous, analytical, willingness and motivation to work in an international and intercultural context
- Languages: Excellent written and spoken English
- Advance IT skills.
- Expatriate contract under Swiss labour code 2’950 CHF (~2’550 €) < > 4’300 CHF (~3’700 €) net /month according to experience x 13, Holidays: 25 days per year.
- Local accommodation and transportation, Health insurance, accident and medical repatriation insurance, return flight.
Application Closing Date
12th April, 2018.
How to Apply
Submit your CV and Application Online : Click Here
- We will only consider complete online applications corresponding to the required profile.
- Your application must include a complete CV and a covering letter. Additional documents such as diplomas and work certificates will only be required in case of an interview.
- If you are not shortlisted, your file will be destroyed by us, according to the rules on data protection.
- If you face difficulties in applying online, please contact our HR department: [email protected]
- Terre des hommes provides equal working conditions for men and women. Furthermore, for candidates with equivalent qualifications and for positions with responsibilities, applications from women are strongly encouraged.
- The recruitment and selection procedures of Terre des hommes reflect our commitment for child security and protection.