The African Union (AU) is a continental body consisting of the 55 member states that make up the countries of the African Continent. It was officially launched in 2002 as a successor to the Organisation of African Unity (OAU, 1963-1999). We are an Integrated, Prosperous and Peaceful Africa, driven by its own citizens and representing a dynamic force in the global arena. We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Administrative Assistant (AUC-PCRD)
Location: Cairo, Egypt
Requisition ID: 1005
Reports to: Senior Finance and Administration Officer
Directorate / Department: African Union Centre for Post-conflict Reconstruction and Development (AUC-PCRD)
Division: Finance and Administration
Job Grade: GSA5
Contract Type: Regular
Purpose of Job:
- The Administrative Assistant provides a wide variety of administrative coordination and services support as needed to advance strategic goals and objectives.
- His/Her work will focus on direct service delivery and/or coordinating the delivery of complex administrative support tasks involving delegation and follow up of individual Staff and assigned processes and products.
- Provide timely technical and operational support in line with the Centre’s mandate.
- Implement technical and operational activities as scheduled and report.
- Assist in the follow up of activity implementation and provision of updates, facilitate logistical arrangements linked to the area of work.
- Liaise effectively with internal and external stakeholders.
- Assist in the creation, improvement and maintenance of systems relevant to the area of work; gather data and information and do preliminary analysis and research for consideration by the bigger team and the supervisor.
- Prepare office communication linked to the area of operation and assist in compiling data and information for reporting and analysis purposes. Follow up decisions and correspondence outcomes and ensure their implementation.
- Follow up on the provision and upkeep of tools and materials linked to the area of work.
The Administrative Assistant shall:
- Analyze and maintain an overview of the Office they are assigned to work in to ensure that timely administrative support is provided in general and specialized areas;
- Schedule a high volume of appointments, meetings and travel arrangements which may include coordinating arrangements for multiple participants;
- Create, update and maintain organized files and records including a system for tracking, monitoring and prioritizing tasks;
- Ensure confidentiality of information and management records are guaranteed;
- Prepare correspondences, executive summary, reports, briefing papers, PowerPoint presentations and other documents as required;
- Liaise effectively with internal and external stakeholders;
- Monitor meeting and correspondences outcomes and decisions and follow up on their implementation;
- Prepare and participate in various meetings and take minutes and/or notes;
- Provide communications support and assistance to ensure timely responses to inquiries including answering and prioritizing calls, e-mail and correspondences;
- Direct provision or coordination of travel for management and line Staff with the AU Travel Unit or contract travel service providers to ensure end-to-end arrangements of visas, flights, hotels, meetings, transportation and other required logistics support. Ensure complete travel packages are delivered to the designated Staff in advance of departure. Facilitate and/or directly prepare travel claims for executive and management Staff and other Staff as appropriate.
- Sourcing and ordering stationery and office equipment as may be required;
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned by the supervisor.
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience:
- A minimum of a Diploma in Management, Administration or any related field from a recognized educational institution with at least three (3) years relevant work experience.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Management, Administration or any related field from a recognized educational institution with at least two (2) years of relevant work experience.
- A higher qualification would be an added advantage.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; fluency in both English and French will be highly preferred;
- Ability to give attention to details and to work effectively under pressure;
- Proven ability to use clear, concise language in correspondence as well as including content fitting for the purpose and audiences when preparing written briefs and reports;
- Excellent interpersonal skills, organizational ability and time management;
- Excellent computer skills, including word processing, proficiency with e-mail and internet applications experience in using applications such as MS Word, MS Excel and MS PowerPoint.
- Fluency in one of the AU working languages (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese or Spanish); knowledge of more than one working language, or that of English and French will be an advantage.
- Excellent Interpersonal skills
- Good amount of flexibility and willingness to work during unsociable hours
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment
- High level of autonomy at work, yet with profound team-spirit
- Adaptive, patient and resilient
- Pro-active and solutions oriented.
- Teamwork and Collaboration
- Accountability awareness and Compliance
- Learning Orientation
- Communicating Clearly.
- Trouble shooting
- Job Knowledge Sharing
- Task Focused
- Continuous Improvement Awareness.
- Proficiency in one of the AU working languages (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese, and Spanish) and fluency in another AU language is an added advantage.
Tenure of Appointment:
- The appointment will be made on a regular term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve months shall be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract will be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables.
- The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Indicative basic salary of US$ 15,758.00 (GSA5 Step1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post adjustment (48% of basic salary), Housing allowance US$ 16,813.44 (per annum), and education allowance (100% of tuition and other education-related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$ 10,000.00 per child per annum), for internationally recruited staff and a maximum of $3,300 per child per annum for locally recruited staff.
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Application Deadline: 4th April, 2022.