The African Union (AU) is a continental body consisting of the 55 member states that make up the countries of the African Continent. It was officially launched in 2002 as a successor to the Organisation of African Unity (OAU, 1963-1999). We are an Integrated, Prosperous and Peaceful Africa, driven by its own citizens and representing a dynamic force in the global arena. We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Head of Division, Human Resource Planning and Organizational Development
Location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Requisition ID: 714
Job Grade: P5
Contract Type: Regular
Number of Direct Reports: 3
Number of Indirect Reports: 7
Directorate: Human Resources Management
Organization: African Union Commission – AUC
Reports to: Director, Human Resource Management
Division: Human Resource Planning Planning and Organizational Development Division
Purpose of Job:
- Directs and manages the daily operations of the Human Resource Planning and Organizational Development Division in order to achieve the strategic objectives of the directorate and the AU’s overall goals.
- Designs and implements policies, programs and projects to achieve the directorate’s strategic objectives.
- Manages and supervises employees within the division, ensures the timely delivery of the directorate’s goals and effective staff performance evaluation;
- Designs policies, strategies and programs to contribute to the effective implementation of relevant AU Policy Organs Decisions;
- Ensures the delivery of the division’s annual targets in line with the directorate’s overall goals and ensures robust and timely monitoring and reporting;
- Provides technical leadership and ensures efficient functioning of all Units within the Division
- Manages the work of the Division and supervises direct reports to ensure their effective performance in line with the organization’s performance management policy and system;
- Engages stakeholders within Members States and Regional Economic Communities (RECs)/Regional Mechanisms(RMs) and relevant international organisations in designing and implementing strategies.
- Maintains thematic partnerships in support of the mandate of the Division;
- Maintains regular working relations with senior stakeholders in Member States and partner institutions in the execution of the Division’s mandate.
- Represents the organisation and communicates its position at conferences.
- Contributes to the preparation of periodic financial and budget execution reports and monitor budget execution at division level.
- Ensures the effective management of funds contributed to the organization;
- Manages risk within the division and recommends mitigation strategies
- Contributes to the development of the departmental business continuity plan and ensures implementation at division level
- Maintains a positive work environment that facilitates collaboration and information sharing and is conducive to attracting, retaining, and motivating diverse talent.
- Oversees and directs the Human Resource planning including provision and management of resources taking into account evolving priorities of the organization to ensure high level of performance and efficiency
- Works with the leadership to align structure and process to strategic aims and build organizational and functional capabilities.
- Leads the design, development and implementations of programmes, policies, strategies, procedures and processes to meet current and evolving organizational development needs and goals
- Serves as a Business Partner with hiring managers to develop effective sourcing and recruitment strategies that result in client satisfaction;
- Provides data-driven critical business reporting, information and insight to senior management on workforce trends, profile and emerging issues to position the organization and proactively anticipate, plan and meet future workforce needs across AUC.
- Builds partnerships and credibility with leaders to identify and develop talent management strategies, identify gaps and plan processes to support business initiative.
- Prepares budgetary recommendations that meet organizational goals relating to human capital and provide for effective management of resources.
- Designs, develops and implement employer branding framework to position the AU as an employer of choice.
- Designs, develops and support organization-wide programs and activities that cover performance management, talent development, coaching, succession planning, data analytics and relationship management.
- Develops the AU corporate culture in line with the organization’s vision, values to provide clear accountability and decision making.
- Develops a plan that leads the organizational promotion of equal opportunity, diversity and inclusion programmes within the AU.
- Coordinates the conduct of employee engagement survey, analysis and facilitation with relevant action teams to chart progress against identified target areas.
- Manages the maintenance and execution of the performance management system including up to date job descriptions, standards of performance and performance evaluation instruments.
- Leads and manages the design, development and implementation of an integrated talent management system to achieve AU’s strategic objectives and cultural change.
- Assesses the critical organizational needs, skills and developmental competencies to design and implement an AU talent management strategy for achievement of the organization’s strategic plan.
- Collects and coordinates aggregate data from the talent pool, analyses and translates those data into insights that drive deliberate action plans.
- Creates, assesses and monitors effectiveness of talent management processes against identified measurements and metrics. Works with HR Business partners to identify success measures, monitors and evaluates programs and interventions.
- Develops, initiates and maintains effective programmes for workforce retention, promotion, career and succession planning.
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience:
- Master’s Degree in Organizational Development, Organizational Behaviour, Human Resources Management / Development, Business Administration, Management, Public Administration, Law, or related fields with twelve (12) years progressive responsible experience out of which seven (7) at managerial level and five (5) years at supervisory level.
- Professional certification in Human Resources from a recognized institution is an added value.
- Demonstrated experience in applying HR management principles and practices, change management.
- Demonstrated experience maintaining, with empathy, an appropriate balance between the organization’s needs and the welfare of staff.
- Demonstrated experience in solving people-related issues effectively.
- Demonstrated experience in data retrieval and analysis.
- A demonstrated knowledge and use of HRIS.
- Leadership and management skills
- Interpersonal and Negotiation skills
- Analytical and research skills
- Knowledge in international risk management strategies
- Knowledge in the use of Microsoft Office suite
- Communication, report writing and presentation skills
- Knowledge and understanding of the policies, strategies and programmes of AU Proficiency in one of the AU working languages (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese and Spanish) and fluency in another AU language(s) is an added advantage.
- Strategic Perspective
- Developing Others
- Change Management
- Managing Risk
- Building relationships
- Foster Accountability Culture
- Learning Orientation
- Communicating with impact
- Conceptual thinking
- Job Knowledge and information sharing
- Drive for result
- Fosters Innovation
Tenure of Appointment:
- The appointment will be made on a regular term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve months shall be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract will be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables.
- The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Indicative basic salary of US$ 50,746.00 (P5 Step1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post adjustment ( 46% of basic salary), Housing allowance US$ 26,208.00 (per annum), and education allowance (100% of tuition and other education-related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$ 10,000.00 per child per annum), for internationally recruited staff and a maximum of $3,300 per child per annum for locally recruited staff.
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Application Deadline: 13th September, 2021.