The Institute for Security Studies (ISS) is an African non-profit organisation with offices in South Africa, Kenya, Ethiopia and Senegal. Our work covers transnational crimes, migration, maritime security and development, peacekeeping, peacebuilding, crime prevention and criminal justice, and the analysis of conflict and governance. The Institute for Security Studies (ISS) partners to build knowledge and skills that secure Africa’s future. Our goal is to enhance human security as a means to achieve sustainable peace and prosperity. We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Researcher & Project Coordinator
Duration: 18 months (May be renewed subject to funding and satisfactory performance)
Travel Activity: Extensive Travel
- The ISS is seeking an experienced Senior Researcher & Project Coordinator to coordinate the ENACT project’s contribution to the OCWAR-T project. The latter project supports the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) to enhance analytical capacity and evidence-based research on organised crime and illicit trafficking in West Africa, with an emphasis on supporting local and regional institutions and civil society organisations.
- The position will be based in Abuja and will be supported through the ISS ENACT’s Regional Organised Crime Observatory for West Africa, in Dakar.
- The ENACT project at the ISS aims to enhance Africa’s response to transnational organised crime. ENACT is helping to implement the Organised Crime: West African Response to Trafficking (OCWAR-T) project commissioned by the German Federal Foreign Office and co-funded by the EU.
- ENACT’s OCWAR-T work is jointly implemented by the ISS and the Global Initiative Against Transnational Organised Crime (GI-TOC).
Overview of Duties:
- Coordinate the establishment and maintenance of a network of organised crime research organisations for West Africa that include intergovernmental institutions, civil society, academic and research institutions
- Establish good working relationships with the ECOWAS Commission and national government agencies of ECOWAS member states
- Coordinate evidence-based research on the illicit markets of common concern at regional and national levels
- Coordinate regular, timeous engagements with key regional and national entities to promote the combating of transnational organised crime in the region
- Contribute to capacity building activities with key institutions in West Africa
- Engage proactively with the media
- Monitor and report on key elements of the programme
- Work as an integral part of the ISS and GI-TOC implementation team
- Contribute to the effective implementation of the memorandum of understanding on cooperation between the ISS and ECOWAS
Overview of Requirements:
- A Master’s Degree or higher qualification in political science, international relations, law, or any other relevant discipline.
- At least 7 years relevant work experience in research and policy, with at least 3 years producing outputs on transnational organised crime, crime and security, customs, and corruption.
- Track record of establishing and working with networks, preferably regional or multi-national.
- Proficiency with online platforms for networking and maintaining engagements
- Demonstrable written and policy engagement related directly to transnational organised crime in West Africa.
- Experience of working with high-level decision makers in regional and international institutions.
- High proficiency in French and English, with demonstrated experience in both spoken and written outputs in both languages.
- Strong communications track record with media and research organisations in West Africa (more than 3 countries, preferably Franco- and Anglophone).
- A demonstrable track record of engagement in security policy issues in West Africa, including access to relevant networks with regional institutions
- Experience and understanding of the political integration and the policy-making issues and processes (national and regional) in West Africa.
- Ability and experience to work independently and remotely and be able to deliver on multiple priorities.
- Track record of innovative problem-solving in complex regional contexts to ensure programme delivery.
Application Deadline: 1st August, 2021.
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Cover Letter, detailed CV with listed publications, including at least three contactable referees to ” Rekha Valabh” via: [email protected] using the Job Title as the subject of the mail.
Click here for more information
- Preference will be given to Abuja and ECOWAS female nationals.
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.