The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home. We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Maintenance Assistant
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Requisition ID: req34666
Sector: Supply Chain
Employment Type: Full-Time
Employment Category: Regular
- The IRC has been present in Nigeria since 2012 when the organization responded to flooding in Kogi state. In February 2014 the IRC moved into Adamawa State in NE Nigeria to provide humanitarian interventions through a multi-sectoral, integrated approach for conflict affected populations.
- IRC Nigeria now operates a country office in Abuja and field offices in Mubi and Yola of Adamawa State, Maiduguri, Monguno, Gwoza and Bama of Borno State and Damaturu of Yobe State
- Currently, IRC Nigeria implements programs primary health care, nutrition, environmental health, women’s protection and empowerment, protection, child protection, education, food security & livelihoods.
Job Overview / Summary
- The maintenance assistant will assist the maintenance officer in ensuring efficient and effective management of the IRC’s facilities and assets, including generators, water systems, electrical, furniture and plumbing fittings or systems.
- Monitor fueling of generators at all IRC facilities in Maiduguri and ensure records of fuel consumptions are documented accurately on generators log sheets.
- Track Generator and solar inverter system service schedules across IRC facilities in Maiduguri.
- Carry out proactive maintenance of IRC assets and facilities. This may include Air conditioners, water dispensers, working rooms/spaces, doors, windows, hand washing facilities, latrines, electrical and plumbing fittings etc.
- Maintain accurate records for maintenance expenses on a monthly basis.
- Maintain all necessary documentations on generator maintenance and file them accordingly to IRC guidelines.
- Facilitate the collection and dispatch of diesel to IRC facilities within and outside Maiduguri.
- Respond to maintenance requests shared by staff across IRC facilities promptly ensuring full resolution of problems within the agreed stipulated time.
- Prepare weekly and monthly report on generator fuel consumption and allocation across IRC facilities and share with maintenance officer.
- Support IRC Base Offices in Bama, Gwoza and Monguno, whenever required.
- Prepare proactive maintenance plan for IRC assets/properties and facilities and submits to the maintenance officer for approval monthly.
- Supervise and monitor maintenance works contracted to third-party vendors.
- Be familiar with local regulations / laws.
- Any other duties as may be assigned by the supervisor.
Key Working Relationships
- Position Reports to: Maintenance Officer
- Indirect Reporting: Logistics Manager.
- Other Internal and/or external contacts:
- Country Program: Borno field office Operations teams, Program teams and senior management.
- Generator maintenance vendors, Technicians, fuel supply vendors and Local government authorities
- B.Sc. / HND / ND in Electrical / Mechanical Engineering or any related field.
- Experience in Heavy Duty Generators maintenance, solar system maintenance, Electrical maintenance, facility maintenance and related roles preferable in an INGO setting.
Demonstrated Skills and Competencies:
- Attention to detail.
- Good planning and organization skills
- Team spirit and problem-solving skills.
- Computer skills (Microsoft word, Excel etc.)
- Language Skills: Fluently speak and write English language clearly (Hausa / Kanuri is an added advantage).
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Note: Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply