The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is the United Nations’ global development network. It advocates for change and connects countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life for themselves. It provides expert advice, training and grants support to developing countries, with increasing emphasis on assistance to the least developed countries. It promotes technical and investment cooperation among nations.
Headquartered in New York City, the status of UNDP is that of an executive board within the United Nations General Assembly. The UNDP is funded entirely by voluntary contributions from UN member states. The organization operates in 177 countries, where it works with local governments to meet development challenges and develop local capacity. We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Driver – Individual Contract (IC)
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Type of Contract: Individual Contract
Additional Category: Management
Post Level: National Consultant
Starting Date: 15-Sep-2021
Duration of Initial Contract: 4 months
Expected Duration of Assignment: 4 months
Languages Required: English
- Under the guidance and supervision of the Senior Human Right Advisor in the Resident Coordinator’s Office, the Driver provides reliable and safe driving services to the Human Rights Advisory Unit and other high-ranking UN officials and visitors ensuring highest standards of discretion and integrity, sense of responsibility, excellent knowledge of protocol and security issues.
- The Driver also demonstrates a client-oriented approach, courtesy, tact and ability to work with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
- Upon request of the supervisor, the Driver can be also required to provide driving services to UN Staff, Consultants and Experts on mission.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
- Provision of reliable and secure driving services
- Proper use of vehicle
- Day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle
- Availability of documents/ supplies
- Provision of the services as required.
- Ensures provision of reliable and safe driving services by a) driving office vehicles for the transport of staff of the Resident Coordinator’s Unit, other high-ranking officials and visitors and delivery and collection of mail, documents and other items, and b) meeting official personnel and visitors at the airport including visa and customs formalities arrangement when required.
- Ensures cost-savings through proper use of vehicle through accurate maintenance of daily vehicle logs, provision of inputs to preparation of the vehicle maintenance plans and reports.
- Ensures proper day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle through timely minor repairs, arrangements for major repairs, timely changes of oil, check of tires, brakes, car washing, etc.
- Ensures availability of all the required documents/supplies including vehicle insurance, vehicle logs, office directory, map of the city/country, first aid kit, necessary spare parts in the assigned vehicle.
- Ensures support to all support duties allocated to him/her.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Secondary Education. Valid Driver’s license.
- 2-3 years’ work experience as a driver; safe driving record; knowledge of driving rules and regulations and skills in minor vehicle repair. Experience in the use of computer and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc).
- Fluency in the language of the duty station, knowledge of
- The UN language of the duty station.
- Demonstrates commitment to UN mission, vision and values.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
Knowledge Management and Learning:
- Shares knowledge and experience
- Provides helpful feedback and advice to others in the office
Development and Operational Effectiveness:
- Demonstrates excellent knowledge of driving rules and regulations and skills in minor vehicle repair
- Demonstrates excellent knowledge of protocol
- Demonstrates excellent knowledge of security issues
Leadership and Self-Management:
- Focuses on result for the client
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure
- Responds positively to critical feedback and differing points of views
- Demonstrates high level of discretion.
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Application Deadline: 6th September, 2021 (Midnight New York, USA).
- UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture.
- Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
- UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.