The United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA) is the leading UN organization in Reproductive Health and Population and Development.We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: National Consultant – End of Project Evaluation for “Addressing Gaps in Gender-Based Violence and Harmful Traditional Practices in Nigeria Project
Locations: Bauchi, Sokoto and Oyo
Job Identification: 10430
Job Schedule: Full time
Job Category: Gender Equality & Human Rights
Vacancy Type: Individual Consultancy
Rotational/Non Rotational: Non-Rotational
Contract Duration: 2 months
Required Languages: English
Desired Languages: English
Number of Consultant: One (1)
Duration of Assignment: 38 working days
Purpose of Consultancy
- To provide technical assistance for conduct of End-of-Project Evaluation for the “Addressing gaps in Sexual / Gender-based Violence and Harmful Traditional Practices in Nigeria” project, funded by Global Affairs Canada.
- To assess if the project reached its targeted results through its theory of change; to determine the relevance and level of achievement of project objectives, development effectiveness, efficiency, impact and sustainability; to provide an assessment of the geographic and demographic coverage of the SGBV/HTP & Obstetric Fistula (OF) project actions and the ability of UNFPA to connect immediate, life-saving service support with long-term development objectives; to draw key conclusions from past and current cooperation with Global Affairs Canada, and provide a set of clear, forward-looking and actionable recommendations for the next funding cycle; and to inform and broaden the evidence base for the design of the next SGBV project.
Scope of Work (Description of Services, Activities of Outputs:
- Under the overall guidance of the UNFPA Deputy Representative, direct supervision of the Head of Population & Development/Evaluation Manager, working closely with the Gender/RH Specialist and the evaluation reference group (ERG).
The National Consultant will support conduct of the evaluation exercise and is expected to carry out the following tasks:
- Support the Evaluation Team Leader and contribute to the design, implementation, analysis and reporting for the evaluation exercise.
- Provide technical expertise related to the project’s integrated SRHR themes especially obstetric fistula, female genital mutilation/medicalisation, adolescent health and pregnancy, and access to contraceptives for young women and girls.
- Contribute to timely submission of all expected deliverables in line with the Concept/ToR of the evaluation process.
- Support development and finalisation of the (a) evaluation matrix (incl. the final evaluation questions, indicators, data sources and data collection methods); (b) data collection tools and techniques (incl. interview and group discussion protocols); (c) a detailed evaluation work plan and agenda for the field phase.
- Support development of the Inception Report comprising of the evaluation approach, methodology and work plan as well as the agenda for the field phase.
- Lead recruitment and training of thirty (30) data collectors on the endline evaluation data collection tools and techniques.
- Coordinate the field phase and supervision of data collection including facilitation of exit/validation meetings with stakeholder.
- Support the drafting and presentation of the final evaluation report to stakeholders
- Undertake any other related task to ensure the successful completion of this consultancy.
The expected outputs are:
- An Inception/Design report, which should include: (a) the evaluation approach and methodology; (b) the final stakeholder map; (c) the evaluation matrix; (d) data collection tools and techniques; (e) a detailed evaluation work plan and agenda for the field phase; and (f) an outline of limitations.
- A PowerPoint presentation of the Design report, to be delivered at the meeting with the ERG and GAC.
- At end of field phase, PowerPoint presentation of key preliminary findings of the evaluation, for debriefing of the CO and ERG.
- Draft evaluation report, presenting the findings, conclusions and recommendations.
- Final evaluation report (maximum 70 pages, excluding annexes), presenting the findings and conclusions, as well as a set of practical and actionable recommendations.
- PowerPoint presentation of the evaluation results.
Required Expertise, Qualifications and Competencies, Including Language Requirements
- Post-graduate Degree in Public Health, SRHR, International Health development, or any other related field
- At least Seven (7) years of professional experience in conducting evaluations, reviews, assessments, research studies especially in SRHR and/or in the field of international development.
- Substantive knowledge of sexual and reproductive health and rights including OF and integration to gender-based violence and harmful traditional practices especially FGM and child/early & forced marriage (CEFM).
- Strong knowledge of national SRHR strategies, policies, frameworks, and principles as well as the various coordination mechanisms.
- Ability to ensure ethics and integrity of the evaluation process, including confidentiality and prevention of harm to evaluation subjects.
- Solid knowledge of evaluation approaches and methodology and demonstrated ability to apply both quantitative and qualitative data collection methods.
- Excellent ability to analyze and synthesize large volumes of data and information from diverse sources and formulate evidence-based conclusions and realistic and actionable recommendations.
- Experience working with a multidisciplinary team of experts.
- Excellent communication (written and spoken), facilitation and knowledge-sharing skills.
- Familiarity with UNFPA or other United Nations organizations’ mandates and operations will be an advantage.
- Fluent in written and spoken English. Knowledge of Yoruba and Hausa is desired.
UNFPA shall provide the following:
- Engage a National Consultant, an SRHR expert, to assist the Lead Consultant.
- Stipends for engagement of Data Collectors and Analysts.
- Other relevant information or special conditions, if any
The Consultant’s fees shall be paid in line with the following schedule and upon acceptance of key deliverables:
- Upon approval of the design/inception report: 20%
- Upon submission of a draft final evaluation report of satisfactory quality: 40%
- Upon approval of the final evaluation report and the PowerPoint presentation of the evaluation results: 40%
Duration and Working Schedule
The consultancy will be for a period of (38) thirty eight working days (during which the consultant will interface with the Evaluation Manager and also conduct all the assigned tasks:
|Dissemination and facilitation of use
Compensation and Benefits
- This position offers an attractive remuneration package including a competitive net salary plus health insurance and other benefits as applicable.
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Application Deadline: 19th May, 2023.
- This consultancy assignment is only for Nigerian Nationals
- This is a remote work consultancy.
- The End-of-project evaluation will be conducted in 3 states and the federal capital territory. These include:
- North East: Bauchi State
- North West: Sokoto State
- South West: Oyo State