The U.S. Embassy in Abuja is seeking to employ a suitable and qualified candidate for the position below in the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) Nigeria:
Job Title: Senior Public Health Specialist (Surveillance and Information Systems) FSN-11/FP-4
Location: Abuja Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
Job Type: Temporary Position Not to Exceed 24 Months
Work Hours: Full-time; 40 hours/week
Basic Function of the Position
- This position is responsible for activities related to the implementation of Global Health Security Agenda (GHSA), specifically for core technical areas that are deemed priority for the CDC-Nigeria Office and Government of Nigeria.
- S/he reports directly to the Program Director for Global Health Security/Global Health
- Protection or other official in charge of GHSA and plays an active leadership role in Technical Working Groups (TWG).
- S/he will interface with all levels of NGO and cooperative partners, universities and medical personnel for the purpose of developing and maintaining highly functional health information and surveillance systems in Nigeria.
- S/he work closely with Administrative support staff to manage cooperative agreements and provide technical guidance to implementing partners
- The incumbent is the emerging disease surveillance and information systems portfolio manager.
- S/he is the Epidemiologist responsible for providing technical expertise and assistance to the Ministry of Health (MOH) and other participating partners in the design, implementation and strengthening of routine disease surveillance and information systems and the conduct of large, complex surveys designed to measure reportable infectious diseases and other indicators of importance to evaluating the impact of disease control programs.
Note: All applicants MUST address each required qualification listed below with specific information supporting each item. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not qualified.
- Master’s Degree in Public Health, Medicine, Epidemiology, Demography, or Behavioral Science is required.
- Minimum of five (5) years of mid-to senior – level public health experience in the management and development of epidemiological surveillance and /or large scale surveys of disease prevention, treatment, or care programs are required.
- Level IV (fluent) Speaking/Reading/Writing in English is required. Language Proficiency will be tested.
- Thorough knowledge of the development of program goals and objectives, the sequence and timing of key program events and milestones, knowledge of the development and implementation of capacity and program assessments, and methods of evaluating program accomplishments. Working knowledge of administrative, budgetary, procurement, and travel issues related to government purchasing and funding guidelines, contracts, memoranda of understanding and cooperative agreements is required.
- Advanced skill levels in the use of at least one of the more common epidemiologic data analysis software (EPINFO, STATA, SAS, or SPSS), and excellent numerical skills for manipulating and reporting statistical data is required.
- Thorough knowledge of research methods and the collection, analysis and presentation of public health/epidemiologic data in order to plan, design, direct the implementation of and strengthen procedures for collection, analysis and dissemination of emerging disease epidemiological data. This includes knowledge of the principles, theories and practices of internationally recognized standards for surveillance and survey regulations and procedures. Thorough knowledge of Nigeria health care system and structures including familiarity with Ministry of Health policies, program priorities and regulations as well as good working knowledge of team management techniques to plan, organize and direct multi-disciplinary project teams and activities is required.
Hiring Preference Selection Process
When qualified, applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
Hiring Preference Order:
- AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
- AEFM / USEFM
- FS on LWOP**
- Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of the most recent Member Copy Four (4) of the DD-214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, and, if applicable, a letter from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.
- If claiming conditional eligibility for U.S. Veterans’ preference, applicants must submit proof of conditional eligibility.
- If the written documentation confirming eligibility is not received in the HR office by the closing date of the vacancy announcement, the U.S. Veterans’ preference will not be considered in the application process.
- Mission HR’s decision on eligibility for U.S. Veterans’ preference after reviewing all required documentation is final.
- This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP.
Additional Selection Criteria
- Management will consider nepotism/conflict of interest, budget, and residency status in determining successful candidacy.
- Current OR employees serving a probationary period are not eligible to apply. Current OR employees with an Overall Summary Rating of Needs Improvement or Unsatisfactory on their most recent Employee Performance Report (EPR) are not eligible to apply
- Current NOR employees hired on a Family Member Appointment (FMA) or a Personal Service Agreement (PSA) are not eligible to apply within the first 90 calendar days of their employment, unless they have a When Actually Employed (WAE) work schedule
- The candidate must be able to obtain and hold the local security certification after selection.
- Candidates who are EFMs, USEFMs, AEFMs, or MOHs must have at least one year remaining on their sponsor’s tour of duty to be considered eligible to apply for this position.
OR – Ordinarily Resident – N10, 948,692 p.a (Starting basic salary) Position Grade: FSN-11
In addition to the basic salary, all allowances will be paid in accordance with the Mission Local Compensation Plan.
NOR – Not Ordinarily Resident – AEFM/EFM-US$54,610 (Starting Salary) p.a.
Position Grade: FP-04*
How to Apply
Interested applicants for this position MUST submit the following, or the application will not be considered:
- Application for US Federal Employment (DS-174); or a current resume or curriculum vitae that provides the same information as a DS-174; plus,
- Candidates who claim U.S. Veterans preference must provide a copy of their Form DD-214 with their application.
- Any other documentation such as degrees or diplomas earned and NYSC Certificates/exemptions or awards.
- A type-written and signed application letter specifically applying for this position, and addressing the minimum requirements as advertised. Please reference the job title and announcement number on the application letter.
- Limit all electronic (e-mail) submissions to one entry/e-mail not larger than 5MB.
- Please submit attachments in PDF and Word formats, not pictures.
- E-mails received without the appropriate subject line and incomplete applications will not be considered.
Submit Application to: [email protected]
Point of Contact: Tel: 09-461-4000 Ext 4261
Click here to download the Position Descriptions (PDF)
Click here to download Application Form for Employment as a Locally Employed Staff or Family Member (DS-174) (PDF 1.78 MB)
Click here to download the Instructions for Completing DS-174 (PDF 2.40 MB)
- Mailed (paper/hard copies) applications will NOT be accepted.
- All not ordinarily resident applicants must have the required work and residency permits to be eligible for Consideration. A U.S. Citizen EFM does not have to be residing in country to be considered, but the sponsoring officer under chief of mission (com) authority does have to Be assigned officially to post.
- Due to the high volume of applications received, we will only contact applicants who are being considered.
Application Deadline 7th June, 2016.