The U.S. Embassy in Abuja is seeking to employ a suitable and qualified candidate for the position below:
Job Title: Gardener
Job No.: A52798-A52813
Duration of Appointment: Indefinite subject to successful completion of probationary period
Work Hours: Full-Time; 40 hours/week
Start Date: Candidate must be able to begin working within a reasonable period of time of receipt of agency authorization and/or clearances/certifications or their candidacy may end.
Supervisory Position: No
- The incumbent performs gardening work on the Embassy Compound and all U.S. Government (USG) leased/owned properties
- S/he is responsible for weeding, planting, pruning and watering, as well as the general maintenance and appearance of grounds and gardens at all of the USG Compounds.
Qualifications and Evaluations
- Completion of Primary School Education is required.
- Experience: Two (2) years of gardening maintenance experience is required.
- Understanding the concept of gardening maintenance and equipment, as well as understanding of Nigeria horticulture environment is required.
- Level II (Limited knowledge) Speaking/Reading/Writing of English is required.
Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to lift up to 10kgs and undertake manual labor is required.
- Must be able to use a wide range of gardening equipment and powered hand tools.
- All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO)
- The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
Hiring Preference Selection Process:
- Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below
- Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application
- Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
Hiring Preference Order:
- AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
- AEFM / USEFM
- FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
- Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), equivalent documentation, or certification. A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant
- The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain:
- The military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and
- The character of service
- Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
- This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights back to their agency or bureau.
For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc.?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link: https://careers.state.gov/downloads/files/definitions-for-va
NGN 2,385,434 / USD 21,121
Application Closing Date
24th April, 2018.
How to Apply
Interested applicants for this position MUST submit their Applications with the required documentation listed below:
- Universal Application for US Federal Employment (DS – 174)
- Application Letter addressing the Qualifications and Evaluations for the position
- Degree not with transcript
- Certificate or License
- DD-214– Member Copy 4, Letter from Veterans’ Affairs, or other supporting documentation (if applicable)
- Residency and/or Work Permit (if applicable)
Submit Applications to: [email protected]
Click here to download the Position Descriptions (PDF)
Click here to download Application Form for Employment as a Locally Employed Staff or Family Member (DS-174) (PDF 1.78 MB)
Click here to download the Instructions for Completing DS-174 (PDF 2.40 MB)
- All candidates must be able to obtain and hold an FSN Security clearance.
- Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.