Posted on :
11 Dec, 2009
11 Dec, 2009
United Nations Development program in Nigeria (UNDP) is recruiting for a Training & Research Associate to be based in Port Harcourt.
1. The United Nations Institute for Training and Research (UNITAR) is making concrete contributions to developing the capacities of tens of thousands of people around the world. Since its inception in 1965, UNITAR has built sustainable partnerships acquiring unique expertise and accumulating experience and knowledge to fulfill its mandate. These accomplishments have enabled UNITAR to respond to the growing demand from UN Member States for training for capacity development in the fields of: Governance; Environment; Peace, Security and Diplomacy.
2. UNITAR’s mission is to deliver innovative training and conduct research on knowledge systems to develop the capacity of beneficiaries. As an autonomous body within the United Nations the institute strives to offer learning technologies that respond to life-long training needs of officials from UN Member States and sub-national or non-governmental institutions.
3. UNITAR concentrates on practice-oriented approach to training – the means of delivering modern training and professional learning. It offers the expertise on how best to deliver this training, how best to capture and retain knowledge and how best to build upon it. It also focuses on how to monitor and evaluate their impact on behaviour; and how to capitalize capacity development for institutional growth and development. UNITAR has continuously increased the number of its training programmes and has successfully established strong institutional cooperation across the globe.
UNITAR Office in Nigeria became operational with effect from 26th March 2006, and committed to bringing the huge institutional capacity development programmes and initiatives of the Institute to the easily accessible benefit of relevant public and private sectors operators alike. This is in a bid to ensuring that both public and private sectors leverage on the many years of training and research expertise of UNITAR for the institutional capacity development objectives of their respective organizational mandates.
The Office engages in a series of credible training and capacity building interventions of local authorities and communities in the following sectors:
• Oil and Gas industry-specific technical capacity assessment and development
• UNITAR-NDDC Institute for Good Governance and Human Development
• Governance and Local Administration and Leadership for local government authorities
• United Nations Organization Satellite (UNOSAT) using satellite imagery, GIS and other IT for participatory assessment, development plan formulation and implementation
• Training and application of micro-credit and finance for small and medium enterprise development
• UNITAR-HP Micro Accelerated Programme (MAP) – a tool through which UNITAR aims to build capacity by bridging the gap between conventional business skills and technical courses, helping trainees establish connections between business challenges and technological solutions to enable them amplify business effectiveness.
• Community Development Association Capacity development in Leadership and project formulation and administration
• Environmental Profiles and compliance
• Negotiation and Conflict Resolution/Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR)
TRAINING AND RESEARCH ASSOCIATE
Duties and Responsibilities
• Collect and analyze viable NGO’s in the partnering states in our programme areas.
• Workshop organization – Planning and Delivery
• Gather pertinent background material and maintain files (both paper and electronic) and database for work unit.
• Research, compile, summarize and organize information and reference materials from various sources (reports, work plans, studies, briefings, meetings / conferences, etc.) and make an up dated inventory of relevant documentation.
• Proofread documents and edit texts for accuracy, grammar, punctuation and style, and for adherence to established standards formats.
• Assemble documents, reports and other materials for global dissemination using standard processing package to produce a wide variety of large, complex documents (reports, tables, charts, graphs, presentations etc.).
• Develop up-to-date database for all training and capacity building sectors in our programme.
• Perform other duties as assigned by the Head of UNITAR Nigeria
* Promote the strategic goals of UN and established UNITAR work plan
* Able to integrate in work groups with people of different professional background
* Responsive to group inputs and concerns to project initiative
* Ability to tap into existing UNITAR institutional partnership
* Ability to network with national/international and professional institutions to achieve goals of the organization
* Interpersonal relationship skill
Task Management skills:
* Prioritization of tasks
* Time management skill
* Timely delivery of results
* Good communication skills both oral and written
* Excellent presentation skill
* Good knowledge of computer application skills
Building and Sharing knowledge:
* Good research skill
* Ability to obtain and disseminate relevant information promptly
Required Skills and Experience
Education: Secondary Education, preferably with specialized certification in Accounting and Finance. University Degree in Business or Public Administration, Economics, Political Sciences and Social Sciences would be desirable, but it is not a requirement.
5 to 6 years of progressively responsible administrative or programme experience is required at the national or international level. Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web based management systems
Ability to express oneself effectively in English language, both orally and in writing
Deadline is 17th December 2009.