United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), helps developing countries attract and use aid effectively. In all our activities, we encourage the protection of human rights, capacity development and the empowerment of women. We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Consultant: Data Visualisation Specialist
Additional Category: Democratic Governance and Peacebuilding
Type of Contract: Individual Contract
Post Level: International Consultant
Starting Date: (date when the selected candidate is expected to start): 1st April, 2020.
Duration of Initial Contract: 6 months
Expected Duration of Assignment: 6 months (with possibility of extension)
UNDP Nigeria has established a Knowledge Hub to enhance its ability to make timely and evidence-based interventions, particularly in areas of Preventing and Responding to Violent Extremism, conflict prevention and human security. A new type of ‘development intelligence gathering’, i.e. continuous monitoring and data collection, is crucial to inform UNDP’s work for early warning, adjust interventions to maximize preventive efforts and initiate new thematic approaches. Trend analyses and ad-hoc policy briefs will also inform interventions of UNDP’s development partners in this field. Through harnessing the potential offered by both old and new sources of data, it is UNDP’s hope that the accuracy and precision of its development responses are increased and a strong foundation for meaningful public policy making, efficient resource allocation and effective public service delivery is created. The ultimate objective of the Knowledge Hub is to harness data, including real time data, for development through providing evidence-based intelligence that can be translated to meaningful policies and planning for development impact.
Reporting to the UNDP Nigeria RR’s Office, the Knowledge Hub will consist of three complementary Units that work in mutual complementarity, cross-pollination and strong collaboration, which is required because of the highly specialized individual expertise in each of the units.
Data Analysis Unit, which will focus on collection of primary data, establishment and maintenance of a database of ‘development intelligence’, the analysis of the data collected as well reporting of the results. This unit will include five data analysts specializing in the following areas; big data, GIS/geospatial analysis, visualisation, survey methodology and econometrics/social sciences. Reporting & Programming Unit, which will produce reports and tools using primary data collected into ongoing and future programming of the entire UN Country Team in the domains of PVE, conflict prevention and human security. Partnerships Unit, which will manage strategic partnerships with third party (local) researchers throughout Nigeria, as well as with local and international (academic) institutions for quality assurance of the knowledge products.
This recruitment is for a Data Visualisation Specialist that will be part of Data Analysis Unit within the Knowledge Hub. The Data Visualisation Specialist will implement data visualization products to communicate applied innovative data projects. He/She will provide guidance and support producing visualizations, dashboards and interactive web applications across the Knowledge Hub teams.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the Knowledge Hub Coordinator, the Data Visualisation expert will:
- Lead and coordinate visual analytics projects related to the Knowledge Hub’s as well as UNDP Nigeria CO initiatives and work with multiple partners including UN agencies, government entities, the private sector and academia;
- Create information products that synthesize large amounts of information obtained from data science analysis techniques into insights relevant to development subject experts;
- Lead and produce scalable interactive web applications;
- Perform quick data visualization studies that can help the overall understanding of data sets and problem statements relevant UNDP Nigeria teams and its partners;
- Produce visual representations of data findings/trends, including those resulting from spatial analysis, and information products to communicate innovation projects outcomes to different stakeholders;
- Provide support in developing partnerships and networks, including engagement with researchers from the data visualization, information design and human-computer interaction communities;
- Support the communications strategy of the Hub in producing relevant communication material including infographics and presentations
- Advise strategically about uses of data visualization and how data use interacts with data design;
- Advise the Knowledge Hub in the use data visualization and information design;
- Participate in workshops, meetings and conferences as needed and provide support with other related tasks as requested by the Hub Coordinator.
The key results have an impact on creation a development intelligence-gathering whereby the continuous monitoring collection of real-time data and its subsequent analysis contributes towards improved and evidence-based interventions that can improve the lives of the people UNDP Nigeria serves.
Through the use of twenty-first-century approach to impact monitoring, building social software for evidence-based decision making, and identifying new areas of effective and innovative ways of intervention and monitoring, the key results will have an impact towards contributing to new, efficient and innovative ways for UNDP to deliver on its mandate as well as its contribution towards operationalisation of the SDGs. These key results will also allow the Hub to sustain visibility among both domestic and international audiences as well as a thought leader at the time reaching resource mobilisation targets.
Required Skills and Experience
- Advanced University Degree in Design, Computer Science, Data Science, International Development, Business Administration, Economics, Engineering, or other relevant discipline
- A First-Level University Degree in combination with an additional four years qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the Advanced University Degree.
- A minimum of five years of experience in data / information visualization, information design, or related discipline is required;
- Experience working in humanitarian, development or other public sector is an asset;
- Experience in human-centered design is required;
- Experience in developing visualization-applications using libraries and software like D3.js, Vega-Light, Leaflet.js, Processing/P5.js, CartoDB, or Mapbox;
- Proven experience in developing data-driven infographics with a strong understanding of graphic design fundamentals.
- Proficiency in the use software required to create data-driven infographics (for e.g. Adobe software (Indesign, Illustrator, Photoshop etc.))
- Experience in developing front-end for web-applications using libraries like Bootstrap, Materialize, AngularJS, ReactJS, ember.js, or similar applications is required;
- Experience in developing back-end for web-applications using frameworks and libraries like Python, Django, CherryPy, SQL, or node.js is an asset;
- Experience in cleaning and processing various types of data is desired;
- Proven ability to communicate complex, abstract concepts using both visual, and written language is required;
- Experience in delivering presentations to various audiences as well as leading capacity-building courses and workshops is required;
- Experience in using data science frameworks and interfaces like SciPy, NumPy, Pandas, Jupyer Notebook, R, or similar is a strong asset;
- Proven ability to manage relationships with partners, including peers, government, universities, UN organizations, NGOs, or private sector is a strong asset;
- Familiarity with the big data for development field is a strong asset.
Language and other Requirements:
- Fluent written and oral English required. Knowledge of another UN language an asset.
- Candidates will submit their portfolio and examples of their work with their applications
- Advanced University Degree in Design, Computer Science, Data Science, International Development, Business Administration, Economics, Engineering, or other relevant disciplines – 15 points
- Experience in developing visualization-applications using libraries and software like D3.js, Vega-Light, Leaflet.js, Processing/P5.js, CartoDB, or Mapbox – 25 points
- Experience in creating data-driven infographics and presentations with proficiency in graphic design fundamentals, including branding work – 25 points
- Experience in developing front-end for web-applications using libraries like Bootstrap, Materialize, AngularJS, ReactJS, ember.js, or similar application – 25 points
- Candidate’s portfolio illustrates a diverse range of infographics using various visualisation tools – 10 points.
- Ability to think visually about data;
- Ability to synthesize large amounts of information to create clear graphics is required.
- Conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results;
- Ability to apply judgment in the context of assignments given, plan own work and manage conflicting priorities;
- Ability to think critically and openly;
- Ability to multi-task and coordinate several assignments;
- Shows pride in work and in achievements;
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills;
- Motivated by professional rather than personal concerns;
- Ability to show persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges;
- Ability to remains calm in stressful situations.
- Openness to listening to others, correctly interpreting messages from others and responding appropriately;
- Asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication;
- Tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience;
- Very good organizational, visual, written and verbal communication skills;
- Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping others informed;
- Team player.
Interested and qualified candidate should:
Click here to apply online
Application Deadline:26th February, 2020.
- UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
- UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.