United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), helps developing countries attract and use aid effectively. In all our activities, we encourage the protection of human rights, capacity development and the empowerment of women. We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Driver – Multiple locations (with possibility of building a roster)
Job ID: 28081
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Posting Type: Common System
Vacancy Type: Service Contract (SC)
Practice Area – Job Family: Management – TRANSPORTATION
Contract Duration: Initial period of 6 months to One (1) year
- This position is with the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) Country Office Abuja Nigeria.
- The Driver demonstrates a client-oriented approach, high sense of responsibility, courtesy, tact and the ability to work with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
- Under the guidance and supervision of the Deputy Resident representative – Operation and direct supervisor, the Driver provides reliable and safe driving services ensuring high accuracy of work in the duty station posted to.
- The Driver provides driving services to the operations and programme staff in the country office / sub-office, Consultants and Experts and UN staff on mission.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
- Ensures provision of reliable and secure driving services by a) driving office vehicles for the transport of authorized personnel and delivery and collection of mail, documents and other items and b) meeting official personnel and visitors at the airport, visa and customs formalities arrangement when required.
- Provision of reliable and secure driving services
- Proper use of vehicle
- Ensures cost-savings through proper use of vehicle through accurate maintenance of daily vehicle logs, provision of inputs to preparation of the vehicle maintenance plans and reports.
- Ensures proper day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle through timely minor repairs, arrangements for major repairs, timely changes of oil, check of tires, brakes, car washing, etc.
- Day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle
- Availability of documents / supplies
- Ensures availability of all the required documents/supplies including vehicle insurance, vehicle logs, office directory, map of the city/country, first aid kit, necessary spare parts
- Ensures that all immediate actions required by rules and regulations are taken in case of involvement in accidents
Impact of Results:
- The key results have an impact on the accurate, safe and timely execution of the office services.
- Demonstrates excellent knowledge of protocol (for Drivers)
- Ability to operate and maintain a variety of computerized business machines and office equipment in order to provide efficient delivery of service
- Demonstrates excellent knowledge of security issues (for Drivers)
- Ability to handle a large volume of work possibly under time constraints
- Good knowledge of administrative rules and regulations
- Ability to organize and complete multiple tasks by establishing priorities
- Demonstrates excellent knowledge of driving rules and regulations and skills in minor vehicle repair (for Drivers)
- Ability to perform a variety of repetitive and routine tasks and duties
- Ability to review data, identify and adjust discrepancies
- Transmits file data; creates and generate queries, reports and documents utilizing databases, spreadsheets, communications and other software packages with speed and accuracy
- Collects and compiles data with speed and accuracy identifying what is relevant and discarding what is not, records it in an accessible manner and maintains databases
- Thoroughly and methodically collects, verifies and records data demonstrating attention to detail and identifying and correcting errors on own initiative
- Interprets data, draws conclusions and / or identifies patterns which support the work of others
Managing Documents, Correspondence and Reports:
- Ability to produce accurate and well-documented records conforming to the required standard
- Creates, edits and presents information (queries, reports, documents) in visually pleasing, clear and presentable formats such as tables, forms, presentations, briefing notes / books and reports using advanced word processing and presentation functions and basic database and spreadsheet software
Planning, Organizing and Multi-Tasking:
- Demonstrates ability to quickly shift from one task to another to meet multiple support needs
- Establishes, builds and maintains effective working relationships with staff and clients to facilitate the provision of support.
- Organises and accurately completes multiple tasks by establishing priorities while taking into consideration special assignments, frequent interruptions, deadlines, available resources and multiple reporting relationships
- Plans, coordinates and organises workload while remaining aware of changing priorities and competing deadlines
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary Education. Valid Driver’s license.
- Experience working in the North East is an added advantage
- 2 years’ work experience as a driver; safe driving record; knowledge of driving rules and regulations and skills in minor vehicle repairs;
- Proficiency in English as Knowledge of the UN language of the duty station.
- Fluency in Hausa and / or Kanuri language
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Important Applicant Information / Notice
- All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
- Workforce diversity – UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
- Scam warning – The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
- Applicant information about UNDP rosters
- UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
Application Deadline: 31st January, 2020; (Midnight New York, USA)