United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) was created in 1950, during the aftermath of the Second World War, to help millions of Europeans who had fled or lost their homes. We had three years to complete our work and then disband.
Today, over 65 years later, our organization is still hard at work, protecting and assisting refugees around the world. We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Associate Human Resources Officer
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Job ID: 23378
Salary Grade: P2
Hardship Level: C
Family Location Type: Family
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
- The Associate Human Resources Officer supports the UNHCR¿s People Strategy and contributes to the implementation of the 2018 independent Human Resources review, which resulted in the establishment of HR strategic priorities and the reconfiguration and transformation of the Division of Human Resources (DHR) from a largely transactional model into a strategic business partner for field operations and senior management.
- Having the right people in the right place at the right time is at the core of enabling UNHCR to protect and respond to persons of concern. By attracting, retaining and developing a talented, diverse and agile workforce while nurturing a culture of excellence, respect and wellbeing for all, UNHCR’s Human Resources acts as a strategic partner to the organization, enabling a people-centric culture.
- The Associate Human Resources Officer provides support and assistance in the areas of operational support, workforce planning, assignments and talent acquisition, organizational cultural changes, HR policy implementation and duty of care. The incumbent maintains employee confidence and protects the organization and its workforce by keeping human resources information confidential.
- The Associate Human Resources Officer is usually supervised by the HR Officer or Senior HR Officer or Head of Office in a Country Operation, or the most senior HR staff in a Regional Bureau. She / he usually supervises HR General Service staff.
- The incumbent maintains a direct working relationship with a number of units within the Division of Human Resources (DHR). The incumbent also works closely with the Senior HR Partner, the Senior Medical Officer and the Senior Staff counsellor for his / her region.
- All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR¿s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
Workforce Operational Support:
- Assist in implementation of HR initiatives that support organizational culture change such as good people management practices, and promoting gender, inclusion and diversity.
- Contribute to the development of a HR customer service-oriented culture that values proactivity, continuous improvement, innovation and high performance.
- Provide support, guidance and trainings to HR staff.
- Implement HR operational activities to ensure timely provision of HR solutions, prioritizing according to the needs and risks.
Assignments and Talent Acquisition:
- Coordinate the process of recruitment, assignment and reassignment of locally-recruited staff and affiliate workforce, also assisting with set up and running of (Regional) Assignments Committee where relevant.
- Analyse, track and report on recruitment and assignments trends for management, including efforts to reach gender parity.
- Take a proactive approach to risk management in the areas of recruitment, ensuring the issues are identified, addressed and reported and, where appropriate, escalated.
- Assist in organizing outreach campaigns to attract diverse applicants. Ensure proper consideration is given to all applicants without distinction on the grounds of race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity.
Advice to managers and staff, and contribution to an inclusive work environment:
- Build dialog and outreach with staff; answer questions, and provide information to staff as to where to go for help or ask questions.
- Be proactive in identifying issues, themes and patterns affecting the workforce¿s health and welfare, including sexual harassment and abuse of authority.
- Ensure that on-boarding, induction, re-integration into the workplace and off-boarding support, is provided to colleagues. Induction programmes should include information on Protection from Sexual Exploitation and Abuse (PSEA) and Sexual Harassment, Code of Conduct as well as workforce’s rights and obligations.
HR policies and inter-agency:
- Enforce compliance with UNHCR’s Human Resources policies and procedures and the UN staff rules, regulations and UNHCR administrative instructions.
- Participate in the ICSC survey on living conditions and classification of duty stations as well as in the UN Country Team local staff salary survey and other local inter-agency HR-related fora and initiatives.
Duty of Care:
- Contribute to establishing and maintaining a medical evacuation plan with senior management, Field safety and the Senior Medical Officer.
- Assist in the security and medical evacuations of UNHCR personnel.
- Support the implementation of a Duty of Care strategy. Identify and assess issues related to duty of care including physical, mental health and safety of UNHCR’s workforce, promoting workforce balance.
For positions in Regional Bureaux only:
- In the absence of a Senior Talent Development Officer in the Bureau:
- Contribute to the implementation of a talent development strategy for UNHCR workforce in the region, in line with UNHCR’s needs and staff members¿ career planning.
- Contribute to the implementation of a talent sourcing and acquisition plan to identify talent mainly among but not limited to national staff and affiliate workforce in the region.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Education & Professional Work Experience
Years of Experience / Degree Level:
- For P2 / NOB 3 years relevant experience with Undergraduate degree; or 2 years relevant experience with Graduate degree; or 1 year relevant experience with Doctorate degree
Field(s) of Education:
- Human Resources Management; Human Resources Development; Personnel Administration; Business Administration; or other relevant field.
Certificates and / or Licenses – (Field(s) of Education marked with an asterisk* are essential):
Relevant Job Experience – (Certificates and Licenses marked with an asterisk* are essential):
- Experience working in Human Resources. UNHCR HR certification is a plus. Knowledge of general HR policies, processes and systems.
- Experience in one or more of the following areas: HR Administration, workforce planning, recruitment, HR policy or talent development. Experience in HR information technology systems and tools. Experience in field humanitarian operations and / or emergency settings. Experience working with the United Nations. Experience working in a multi-cultural setting.
- HR-Administer / manage a large number of staff, preferably within the UN
- HR-Human Resources Management
- Managing Ethical Dilemmas
- Learning Agility
- Ability to identify client’s needs and match them to appropriate solutions
- Gender, diversity and Inclusion Management
- Talent development
- Provision of technical HR advice
- HR data and people analytics
- Relationship Management
Language Requirements – (Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential):
- For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
- For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
- For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
N.B: This is a Standard Job Description for all UNHCR jobs with this job title and grade level. The Operational Context may contain additional essential and/or desirable qualifications relating to the specific operation and/or position. Any such requirements are incorporated by reference in this Job Description and will be considered for the screening, shortlisting and selection of candidates.
- C001L2 Accountability Level 2
- C002L2 Teamwork & Collaboration Level 2
- C003L2 Communication Level 2
- C004L2 Commitment to Continuous Learning Level 2
- C005L2 Client & Result Orientation Level 2
- C006L2 Organizational Awareness Level 2
- M001L2 Empowering and Building Trust Level 2
- M006L2 Managing Resources Level 2
- M003L2 Judgement and Decision Making Level 2
- M002L2 Managing Performance Level 2
- X001L2 Analytical Thinking Level 2
- X005L2 Planning and Organizing Level 2
- X009L2 Change Capability and Adaptability Level 2
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Procedures and Eligibility
- Before submitting an application, UNHCR staff members intending to apply to this Job Opening are requested to consult the Recruitment and Assignments Policy (RAP, UNHCR/HCP/2017/2 and the Recruitment and Assignments Administrative Instruction (RAAI), UNHCR/AI/2017/7 OF 15 August 2017.
- The UNHCR workforce consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages and opinions. UNHCR seeks to sustain and strengthen this diversity to ensure equal opportunities as well as an inclusive working environment for its entire workforce. Applications are encouraged from all qualified candidates without distinction on grounds of race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity.
- Please note that UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, meeting, travelling, processing, training or any other fees)
Application Deadline: Monday, 7th December, 2020. (Midnight Geneva time).