The United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) is a United Nations office that was established in 1997 as the Office for Drug Control and Crime Prevention by combining the United Nations International Drug Control Program (UNDCP) and the Crime Prevention and Criminal Justice Division in the United Nations Office at Vienna. It is a member of the United Nations Development Group and was renamed the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime in 2002. We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Admin/Finance Assistant
Job ID: 22480
Vacancy Type: Service Contract (SC)
Contract Duration: 1 year with possibility of extension
Practice Area – Job Family: Management – Administration, Management – Finance
- The Nigerian Country Office has been able to secure GEF funds of about USD$13,000,000 over a period of five (5) years to implement the Sound Management of PCBs in Nigeria covering the 36 states of the Federation and the Integrated Approach Programme to Food Security in Nigeria (IAP-FS) in seven northern states of the country.
- The objectives of the PCB project is to assist Nigeria to implement a sound management system for PCBs and other POPs. The project intends to decontaminate 1500 metric tons of PCB-contaminated electrical equipment and to dispose of 200 metric tons of pure PCB from transformers and capacitors. The establishment of state-of-the-art analytical laboratories in Nigeria and the acquisition of the decontamination and dechlorination systems will allow PCB owners to complete the identification and proper treatment and disposal of the PCBs that will remain in the country beyond the duration of the project. For the food security project, the objectives is to to enhance long-term sustainability and resilience of food production systems in Nigeria, building greater community resilience to climate risks and other shocks that drive food insecurity.
- In implementing, a lot of capacity building activities through workshops, meetings and dialogues would be done in different states across the nation and as a result, the Energy, Environment and Climate Change Unit, under which the two projects reside is looking to recruit a project associate at SB3/3 grade level to assist in the implementation and coordination of the activities at the state level. The GEF Portfolio Associate will be locally recruited based on an open competitive process. He/she will be primarily responsible for the financial administration and/or additional support of the project (contractual, organizational, procurement, logistical, etc.) actions of the GEF funded PCB and Food Security Programme and will be supervised by the Team Leader of the Environment, Energy & Climate Change unit. Generally, the Portfolio Associate will be responsible for supporting the Team Leader in meeting government obligations under the project, under the national implementation modality (NIM).
Duties and Responsibilities
- The GEF Portfolio Administrative Assistant will work in close collaboration with the Programme, Operations, Communications and other project teams in the Country Office (CO) for effective achievement of results, anticipating and contributing to resolving complex programme/project-related issues and information delivery.
- The incumbent is expected to exercise full compliance with UNDP programming, financial, procurement and administrative rules, regulations, policies and strategies, as well as implementation of the effective internal control systems.The portfolio associate will:
- Prepare payment requests in a timely manner, monitor disbursement of monthly payments for GEF projects in the unit;
- Track and report project expenditures monthly for the GEF portfolio (and each individual projects);
- Maintain and improve databases for the Project’s that accurately report on progress and decisions, highlight issues, and are suitable for analysing data,
- Assist in the preparation of payments requests for operational expenses, salaries, insurance, etc. against project budgets and work plans;
- Support the preparations of project work-plans and operational and financial planning processes;
- Monitor project activities, budget and financial expenditures and maintain a proper record of approved project budgets and their revisions;
- Advise and assist international advisors and national consultants on all aspects of allowances, travel claims and other financial matters and calculate payments due for claims and services;
- Undertake procurement actions for GEF portfolio,
- Provide necessary backstopping on administrative actions,
- Prepare and translate necessary documents, reports to donors, UNDP, Programme Board, and others as relevant;
- Follow-up on timely disbursements by UNDP CO;
- Pro-actively contribute to day-to-day project implementation and ensure conformity to expected results and project work-plans;
- Maintain project correspondence and communication;
- Maintain project filing system;
- Maintain records on all project personnel/national consultants and their respective status (contracts, ToRs, time and attendance – if appropriate, etc.) in accordance with accepted policies and procedures;
- Assist in logistical organization of meetings, training and workshops;
- Collect, register and maintain all information on the two GEF project activities;
- Contribute to the preparation and implementation of progress reports;
- Prepare agendas and arrange field visits, appointments and meetings both internal and external related to the project activities and write minutes from the meetings;
- In accordance with the Work Plan arrange for procurement of equipment, supplies and services – create and manage e-requisitions in ATLAS;
- Ensure that contractual processes follow the stipulated UNDP procedures;
- Physically clear and ensure delivery of equipment and supplies procured for the various programme sites;
- Maintain records over project equipment inventory
- Overall finances for the two GEF Projects successfully managed,
- Provide timely payments for all beneficiaries of the programme,
- Provide qualitative financial reports for each GEF project,
- Assist Project Managers for each of the projects on budget revision.
- At least 90% of the budget delivered annually
- Reimbursements are made on timely manner,
- Financial database well managed.
Education & Work Experience
- G-Bachelor’s Level Degree – 3 year(s) experience
- Desired: English (Fluency in English)
Required Skills and Experience:
- Excellent computer skills, in particular mastery of all applications of the MS Office package;
- Excellent written communication skills; and
- A good working knowledge of Atlas/SAP/SAGE Platform would be an added advantage.
- Demonstrate commitment to UNDP’s mission, vision and values;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Shares knowledge and experience;
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills
Development and Operational Effectiveness:
- Proven ability to problem-solve and think creatively to develop and implement smart business solutions in a challenging socio-economic environment;
- Focuses on result for the client and responds positively to feedback;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Remains calm, in control and good humoured even under pressure;
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities
- Ability to establish and maintain contacts with senior-level officials of the host government required. Excellent interpersonal skills are essential part of the job.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, is required to obtain, evaluate and interpret factual data and to prepare accurate and complete reports and other documents. Leadership and Self-Management
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidate should:
Click here to apply
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements
Application Deadline: 15th April, 2019.