The United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA), the leading UN organization in Reproductive Health and Population and Development, is recruiting personnel for the vacant position below:
Job Title: Humanitarian Analyst/State Programme Officer
Locations: Borno, Yobe and Adamawa States
Duration: One year (Renewable based on satisfactory performance and availability of funds)
- Under the general supervision of the UNFPA Representative and the direct supervision of the Humanitarian Programme Coordinator in Maiduguri Sub-Office.
- The State Programme Officer, will provide substantive inputs to project formulation, monitoring and evaluation, joint programming initiatives and develop frameworks in states.
- S/he will guide and facilitate the delivery of UNFPA’s programmes and ensures the appropriate application of the tools, available guidelines and procedures for Reproductive Health and Rights in development and humanitarian modes.
- S/he will build the capacity of implementing partners especially Government counterpart and NGOs working in the state on Reproductive health issues, Gender Based Violence and Data for Development. He/she will also serve as UNFPA focal point for the Borno state.
- S/he analyses, assesses relevant political, social and economic trends, and provides substantive inputs to project formulation, monitoring and evaluation, joint programming initiatives and State humanitarian frameworks in line with the humanitarian principles and standards.
- S/he provides technical assistance in the states within the framework of agreed work plans for successful implementation of the Reproductive Health and Rights component of the eighth Country Programme.
Main Tasks & Responsibilities
- Builds the capacity of implementing partners especially Government counterpart and NGOs working in the state on Reproductive health issues, Gender Based Violence and Data for Development. He/she will also serve as UNFPA focal point for the state.
- S/he analyses and assesses relevant political, social and economic trends and provides substantive inputs to project formulation, monitoring and evaluation, joint programming initiatives and State humanitarian frameworks in line with the humanitarian principles and standards.
- Monitor the RH and Rights content of the UNFPA country programme, ensuring that it is in line with the State and National Strategic Framework and all policies and plans for the effective and efficient provision of RH services.
- Collaborate with relevant stakeholders (Governments, NGOs and CBOs) in the design of advocacy materials including information, education and Communication (IEC)/behavior change communication (BCC) pertaining to the implementation of RH and ASRH programme.
- Undertake advocacy activities with policy makers at all level to ensure sustained support for utilization of RH services.
- Represent UNFPA in humanitarian coordination and planning meeting in State
- Monitor and evaluate all project activities, expenditure and progress toward achieving the project output in all area related to UNFPA mandate including reproductive health gender and data for development in a humanitarian setting in State.
- Report monthly and quarterly progress reports on all programmes area in the state to the programmes coordinator, including updates on the situation and emergency human security issues.
- Support government partners on the routine collection of program data and humanitarian report from supported health facilities in timely manner on the utilization of RH and Dignity Kits.
- Monitor the implementation of Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights programme, including humanitarian component according to the Minimum Initial Services Package (MISP).
- Promote reproductive health and linkages with Gender-Based Violence (GBV) programme during crises, early recovery and development phases.
- In coordination with the Borno State Ministry of Health and other state-level related health Departments and Agencies, facilitate the delivery of emergency medical supplies and equipment.
- Orients on Sexual Reproductive Health and Rights, HIV&AIDS, GBV, and Youth related issues and ensure utilization of supplies and equipment
- Assist in establishing partnerships with other development and humanitarian stakeholders, NGOs, donors and government counterparts.
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned by UNFPA Representative and/or Humanitarian Programme Coordinators in Maiduguri Sub office.
- Provides technical assistance in the states within the framework of agreed work plans for successful implementation of the Reproductive Health and Rights component of the eighth Country Programme.
- Help to create and document knowledge about current and emerging reproductive health and rights issues, by analyzing programmes, projects, strategies, approaches and ongoing experience for lessons learned, best practices, and shares with the zonal team for use in knowledge sharing and planning future strategies.
- Assist in advocacy and resource mobilization efforts by preparing relevant documentation, i.e. project summaries, conference papers, donor profiles and participating in donor meetings and public information events.
- Create and deliver effective evidence-based advocacy messages to promote UNFPA’s programme goals taking into account political and social sensitivities
- Mobilize government cash counterpart contribution (GCCC) obligations and explore opportunities for additional resources in support of Reproductive Health and Rights initiatives in the states under the zonal office.
- Promote UNFPA visibility in the state.
- Analyze and interpret the political, social and economic environment relevant to population and development, reproductive health and gender and identify opportunities for UNFPA assistance and intervention. Keep abreast of new policy developments and strategies analyzing policy papers, strategy documents, national plans and development frameworks.
Qualifications and Experience
- Master’s degree in Public Health and/or other related Social Science field
Knowledge and Experience:
- Minimum of 5 years of related work experience in programme/project management in the public or private sector linked to reproductive health and rights issues in humanitarian settings.
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Excellent communication and human relation skills.
- Proficiency in current office software applications is mandatory
- Experienced working with government institutions and donor organizations.
- Familiar with issues on population, reproductive health, gender, youth and Minimum Initial Service Package.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Have a strong capability to communicate clearly and concisely in both oral and written English.
- Commitment to UNFPA Values and Guiding Principles;
- Developing People/Fostering Innovation and Empowerment/Performance Management;
- Team Work/Communication/Self-Management
- Strategic Thinking/Results Orientation and Commitment to Excellence/Decision Making;
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Learning
- Ability to lead, develop and motivate a diverse team of specialists
- Leveraging the resources of national governments and partners/building strategic alliances and partnerships
- Innovation and marketing of new approaches
- Resource mobilization (Programme)
- Job knowledge
- Advocacy/advancing a policy-oriented agenda
- Results-based programme development and management.