The United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) – For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children’s survival, protection and development. The world’s largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world’s leading children’s rights organization would like to hear from you.
We are recruiting to fill the following vacant positions below:
Job Title: Measles Expert, P-4
Job Number: 505100
Work Type: Temporary Appointment
Duration: (9 months)
Purpose of the Position
- In its capacity as a key immunization partners, UNICEF has committed to assisting the National Primary Health Care Development Agency (NPHCDA) with the services of an International measles Expert to support the upcoming follow-up Supplementary Immunisation Activities.
- The main objective of this TA is to provide high-level technical support the NPHCDA for overall coordination, planning, monitoring the implementation and evaluation of the 2017/2018 measles campaign for overall coordination and implementation of an improved measles campaign, taking lessons from previous measles and polio campaigns into consideration.
More Specifically the TA is Expected to:
- Provide support to the National Measles Technical Coordinating Committee in overall coordination
- Achieve 95% measles vaccination coverage in all States
- Strengthen the pharmaco-vigilance system for monitoring adverse events following immunization
- Assist in writing the consolidated National report post campaign
- Facilitate micro-planning, validation of micro plans and provide feedback to the states
- Use the opportunity provided by the follow-up measles campaign to reach previously missed children with one dose of measles vaccine by leveraging the polio campaign strategies; campaign to strengthen the health system and immunization programme
- Contribute to the post measles campaign survey.
Key Expected Results
- Participate in all National Measles Technical Coordinating Committee (NMTCC) meetings;
- Support coordination of activities at national and state level and ensure all key players are brought on board early;
- Assist the NMTCC to develop quality work-plans and monitor timely implementation of planned activities;
- Assist the NMTCC in National and zonal micro-planning training, verification of micro-plans to ensure plans address all needs required for a quality campaign as logistics, personnel and waste management plans are in line with specified guidelines;
- Support the development of training plan, training manuals and technical presentations to be used for training and facilitation of training at National, State and Local Government Authority (LGA) level;
- Assist the NMTCC in tracking funds sent to the States for Logistics and Social Mobilization activities in collaboration with UNICEF staff and other partners on the ground;
- Participate in the conduct of in-process monitoring and end-process monitoring during implementation;
- Support in estimation of available cold chain capacity and address gap where identified;
- Support the revision of data tools for micro-planning , pre-implementation checklist and implementation;
- Support in the conduct of pre-implementation assessment;
- Assist the NMTCC to develop social mobilization plans and ensure plans are implemented to reach target populations and assist the Social Mobilization Working Group (SMWG) to develop a strategy to ensure identified key players with influence to reach target populations are fully engaged;
- Assist the NMTCC in conducting resource mobilisation, sensitisation and advocacy to bridge funding gaps for the campaign and support advocacy to ensure State commitment to support measles campaign;
- Assist in monitoring and supervision of the Measles campaign;
- Participate in the planning and implementation of the post-campaign coverage survey.
Qualifications of Successful Candidate
- Master’s in Public Health or related technical field
- At least 8 years of experience with progressively higher responsibilities in designing, implementing, and evaluating health projects, particularly immunization programmes
- Knowledge of national immunization programs and health systems
- Familiarity with supplementary Immunization Activity
- Previous experience with UNICEF programs is an asset
- Computer skills, including internet navigation and various office applications
- Fluency in oral and written English is required
Competencies of Successful Candidate
- Diversity and inclusion
- Communication (II )
- Working with People (II)
- Drive for Results(II)
- Building Trust (II)
- Managing Resources (II)
- Communication (II)
- Influence (II)
- Judgment [ II ]
- Technical Knowledge (II)
- Team Leadership (II)
- Planning, Setting Standards, and Monitoring Work (II)
- The successful candidate for this emergency recruitment MUST be available to commence work within 31 days of receiving an offer.
- Employment is conditional upon receipt of medical clearance, any clearance required, the grant of a visa, and completion of any other pre-employment criteria that UNICEF may establish.
- Candidates may not be further considered or offers of employment may be withdrawn if these conditions are unlikely to be met before the date for commencement of service.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline: 15th June, 2017.