WaterAid is an international organisation whose mission is to transform the lives of the poorest and most marginalised people by improving access to safe water, sanitation and hygiene. Through their partners, they have reached 2 million people with safe water and 3 million people with sanitation last year. We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Strategy, Programme Effectiveness and Learning Intern
Department: Strategy, Programme Effectiveness and Learning.
Reports to (title): Head of Strategy, Programme Effectiveness and Learning.
Direct Reports (titles): None.
Travel: Potential travel to field to be determined based on needs.
Purpose of Role
- The post holder will be expected to perform a wide range of duties using independent judgment and initiative to determine approaches or actions to take in non-routine situations. In broad terms, the holders will provide administrative and operational support for CP strategy, monitoring, evaluation and knowledge management activities etc.
- S/he will be required to interpret guidelines using policies and precedents. Most importantly S/he will be able to demonstrate sufficient professional and personal maturity to be entrusted with what in many cases will be sensitive information.
- A key responsibility of the intern will be to provide support to the Strategy, Programme Effectiveness & Learning department and the CP at large, in a number of capacities and activities. These will include:
- Deliver learning and knowledge management projects/initiatives including but not limited to writing reports; collation, documentation, filing and sharing knowledge management / learning products.
- Review and update the tools and templates utilised for reporting on all aspects of WANG programmes to ensure consistency, relevance and user friendliness both to staff and partners.
- Development of quantitative and qualitative indicators for measuring WANG performance on different programme areas.
- Monitoring and evaluation initiatives.
- Directly supervise data collection from programme – supported businesses using data collection tools (sales, records etc.) and make suggestions on improvement to monitoring tools and data collection systems.
- Monitoring of the sanitation marketing activities and tracking the learning outcomes for dissemination to wider stakeholders.
- Liaise with Communications and Media colleagues with updating and maintenance of databases (stakeholder, publication, media hits); preparations for and implementation of campaigns, updating the advocacy scrapbook and putting advocacy packs together.
- Act as liaison with People & Organisational Development department in seeking /securing support as may be required for delivery of day to day Strategy, Programme Effectiveness & Learning department activities
- Support the Head of Strategy, Programme Effectiveness & Learning and members of the SPEL team with other duties as may arise.
Skills / Abilities / Personal Qualities
- Ability to maintain confidentialities and quickly build trust- Demonstrate ability to manage information with appropriate discretion and respect for sensitivity.
- Organising, Planning, and Prioritising Work – Developing specific goals and plans to prioritize, organize, and accomplish your work.
- Establishing and Maintaining Interpersonal Relationships – Developing constructive and cooperative working relationships with others, and maintaining them over time.
- Willingness to learn: Demonstrating a willingness to learn new ideas using a combination of learning approaches.
- Self-motivation and Initiative – Ability to inspire oneself to take on challenging tasks and commitment to deliver work of excellent quality.
- Written and Oral Expression – Excellent ability to communicate information and ideas in writing and speaking so others will easily understand.
- Time Management – Managing one’s own time and the time of others; Keen sense and appreciation of priorities and deadlines.
- Flexibility-Ability to adapt to difficult situations (e.g. unforeseen change in context)
- Attention to details – Ability to carry out assigned responsibilities to expected quality with minimal errors.
- Completion of a 4-year undergraduate degree course in arts, social sciences, business or natural sciences business administration or related field from a reputable university.
- Completion of National Youth Service Corp (NYSC) programme no more than 5 years before date of application
- A Master’s degree in any of the fields listed as essential.
Work Experience / Specific Knowledge
- Strong conceptual and analytical skills.
- Demonstrate a keen aptitude and appetite for learning and personal development
- Demonstrate WaterAid values
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work with a variety of people.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability and willingness to travel to the field.
- Computer proficiency (Office software, internet and email)
- Interest in development career in development/NGO sector
Our People Promise
- We’re looking for people who share a commitment to our vision, and a commitment to playing their part in changing normal. We’re looking for people with an appreciation and respect for different people and ideas, and the energy and expertise to help tackle the most important challenges.
- In return, you can expect to get inspiration from the change you help make happen, a sense of belonging and the feeling of being part of a global community. You will also experience stimulation and fulfilment, the chance to grow, and space to be yourself at your best
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline: 25th October, 2019