Widows and Orphans Empowerment Organization (WEWE) is a fast growing not-for-profit NGO founded in 2004 with headquarters in Abuja. WEWE has grown from managing an income of $6,000/annum in 2005 to over an average of $2.2 million per annum in 2020.
It has also grown from just 1 staff in 2004to over 50 staff ir2020; and from working in a few communities in Imo State, to working in over 400 communities in 17 states. WEWE has active programs in Abuja, mo and Rivers states. We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Board Member
WEWE wishes to recruit certified professionals who can help WEWE to grow by raising in-kind and cash donations and grants to increase funding to achieve our organizational vision and mission. Therefore, if you have expertise in the following areas:
- Experience in organizing high -level advocacy and delegation meetings with private companies, oil companies, individual philanthropist, corporate or international donors such as USAID, European Commission (EC) and Foundations, has proposal writing skills or has hands-on knowledge of how to develop and build online crowdfunding campaigns.
- Strong business relations and connections with philanthropist and local and international donors that can support WEWE with in-kind and cash donations for widows and orphans.
- Practical experience in relevant organizational development, capacity building and systems strengthening of any organization. Especially experience in the following areas: Leadership, Governance, Human Resource, Administration, Strategic Information, Communication (Online Strategist), Financial Management, Procurement, Internal control and Fundraising.
The roles and responsibilities of WEWE Board Members include to:
- Attend quarterly board meetings in Abuja or via E-platforms
- Provide leadership, and governance oversight functions
- Partner with the ED and board members to ensure that board resolutions are carried out
- Serve in committees or task forces and to take on special assignments, representing WEWE to stakeholders
- Act as an ambassador for the organization
- Raise funds for WEWE by supporting proposals writing and engaging local fundraising.
- Serve as a trusted advisor to the Executive Director (ED) as s / he develops and implements WEWE’s strategic plan
- Review WEWE’s annual progress and performance reports
- Approve WEWE’s annual budget, audit reports, and material business decisions
- Contribute to an annual performance evaluation of the ED
- Have over 10 years experience working in leadership positions such as being a head of unit / department / division, Chief of Party, Deputy Chief of Party, and Chief Executive Officer or Top manager.
- Have updated individual tax clearance for the last three years from Federal or State Inland Revenue service as this is a new requirement from Federal Inland Revenue Service (FIRS).
- A candidate whose home is based in FCT-Abuja, has an added advantage.
- Widows / widowers who are professionals and have experience are encouraged to apply.
- Be a certified professional i.e. Chartered Accountants, Auditors, Senior Lawyers, Medical Doctors, and Public Health Practitioner, Bankers, Financial Experts, Senior Programmer in HIV Prevention, Social Scientist, Social Worker, Child Psychologist, and Registered nurse. This list is not exhaustive, once you are a certified/registered professional in any field it’s an advantage.
- Have experience as a senior executive.
- Service on WEWE’s board is without remuneration or any financial benefits, except for administrative support, travel and accommodation costs in relation to Board Members’ duties and this is subject to availability of funds. In addition, WEWE has a conflict of interest policy which states that Board Members, their immediate family members either close or distant relatives and any related party cannot work or benefit from WEWE financially. Conclusively, WEWE does not give sitting allowance for attending meetings.
Benefits for Board Members:
- Learn what works and what does not work well for growing a credible NGO
- Gain new experience in the development sector, particularly about USAID and US Centre for Disease Control (US CDC) funded projects, especially on how to understand their rules and regulations
- A platform to serve and fulfill your God-given calling to help widows and orphans.
Interested and qualified candidates should send their comprehensive Curriculum Vitae and Cover Letter in ONLY one attachment (MS Word document) explaining suitability for the position to: [email protected] Please indicate the title of position applied for in the subject line of the email.
- Applicants are advised to provide their functional emails / mobile phone numbers on the application letter as well as three professional referees. Candidates must provide functional email addresses and telephone numbers of referees.
- Kindly Note, WEWE’s recruitment process for this position is on a rolling basis and while we thank all applicants for showing interest, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interview.
- Applications will be reviewed in batches on a first come, first served basis. WEWE reserves the right to conclude this recruitment process when a suitable candidate is selected