World Health Organization (WHO) is the directing and coordinating authority for health within the United Nations system. It is responsible for providing leadership on global health matters, shaping the health research agenda, setting norms and standards, articulating evidence-based policy options, providing technical support to countries and monitoring and assessing health trends.
We are recruiting to fill the vacant position below:
Job Title: Data Manager
Ref Id: 1800523
Contractual Arrangement: Individual Service Contractor
Contract duration: 6 months
Purpose of the Position
- The objective of the post is to ensure WHO data management and M&E activities at national level provides all the required technical support aimed at supporting the country to:
- Ensure availability of quality, timely, and complete information that guides the surveillance and immunization program
- Monitor achievement of recommended surveillance performance indicators for Acute Flaccid Paralysis (AFP), other Vaccine Preventable Diseases as well as other diseases of public health priority as highlighted in Nigeria’s Integrated Disease Surveillance and Response (IDSR) strategy.
- Provide evidences through the triangulation of different data available and guide the program;
- To build capacity of government staff in data management, through formal and on-job training
Description of Duties
The incumbent is expected to provide data management support to Nigeria Center for Disease Control (NCDC) and WHO country officer in the following specific tasks
- Under the overall guidance of the WHO country office representative and over all supervision of IVE focal point and guidance of the M&E Coordinator, the monitoring and evaluation officer will carry out the following specific task:
- Ensure quality and timely IDSR data/information is shared with all stakeholders;
- Support all states in the compilation of data for implementation of IDSR.
- Design and maintain all disease surveillance (Measles, NNT, YF, PBMS, ROTA) database for priority diseases.
- Produce regular analysis feedback on Accelerated Disease Control (ADC) and New vaccine (PBMS and ROTA)
- Monitor Timeliness, completeness, and data quality of IDSR data and provide timely feedback to states.
- Collaborate with other data managers and laboratories to update and harmonize IDSR data.
- Triangulation, analysis and feedback of data collected using case-based and IDSR system for selected case-based data set.
- Produce periodic (weekly, monthly and quarterly) analysis feedback from data to enhance decision making at relevant levels.
- Conduct data management training to build the capacity of officers in technological innovations.
- Support the monitoring and evaluation system, immunization/Polio SIAs as well as overall Health Information Management System Strengthening efforts.
- Perform other activities as required by WHO Representative.
- Essential: Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Statistics, Monitoring & Evaluation or Data Management related field with additional data management training.
- At least 5 years’ experience in health related data management.
- Experience in quality collection, analysis, dissemination, and use of health information for program planning and management.
- Experience in database development.
- Working knowledge of statistical application programs (EPI INFO, SPSS, STATA etc.) and mapping programs (ArcGIS, QGIS etc)
- Previous related work experience in the UN or other International Development Agencies
Use of language skills:
- Essential: Very good Knowledge of English.
- Basic knowledge of ICT, programming, mobile and web – based data technology
- Ability to acquire sound knowledge of WHO rules, regulations and procedures. Demonstrated abilities for team-work.
- Ability to establish and maintain good relations with people at various levels and of different background.
Application Closing Date
2nd May, 2018.