World Health Organization (WHO) is the directing and coordinating authority for health within the United Nations system. It is responsible for providing leadership on global health matters, shaping the health research agenda, setting norms and standards, articulating evidence-based policy options, providing technical support to countries and monitoring and assessing health trends.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: NPO Data Improvement Officer
Ref Id: 1703803
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Contractual Arrangement: Temporary Appointment under Staff Rule 420.4
Contract Duration: 2 Years
Organization: AF/FRH – Family and Reproductive Health
Objectives of the Programme
- Promoting good health at key stages of life, taking into account the need to address health equity, social determinants of health and human rights, with a focus on preventing morbidity, mortality and disability from vaccine-preventable diseases through the optimum use of currently available and new vaccines.
Purpose of the Position
- The purpose of this position is to support Member states on the efforts to improve the information management system and Data quality.
- The officer will contribute to the promotion of the use of high quality data for better decision-making. He will also support the coordination between different stake holders including internal and external partners working within data agenda in the country.
Description Of Duties
The incumbent is assigned all or part of the following responsibilities which are performed according to the needs and agenda:
- According to the country HMIS plan cycle, coordinate effectively with internal and external partners to facilitate the development, implementation or review of an evidence-based immunization strategic and annual data improvement plan based on the country’s information system assessment and data quality review aligned with the overall health information strengthening plan, cMYP and annual plan of action:
- Support articulation of the strategic and annual immunization data improvement plan with national relevant documentations such as HMIS strengthening plan and CMYP & annual operational plan
- Ensure identified data strengthening activities are included within cMYP and overall immunization annual plan of action
- Support development and progress review of strategic and annual joint investments for data strengthening
- Coordinate and support the country to identify resources throughout the planning, development, implementation and review phases for data strengthening activities
- Ensure identified data strengthening activities align with recommendations from the strategic data improvement plan
- Ensure daily implementation of the data strengthening activities as in the annual plan and assess the level of its implementation on monthly and quarterly basis an share with ICC, IST and AFRO
- To support and promote data use for better decision-making at all levels to increase immunisation coverage and equity.
- To facilitate effective and regular communication between all internal and external partners throughout the development, implementation and continuous monitoring of the country’s immunization strategic and annual data improvement plan aligned with the overall health information strengthening plan
- To facilitate dissemination and capacity building of national stakeholders at all levels around WHO tools in link with data strengthening. Facilitate cross-program communication and collaboration, as feasible, on data monitoring and improvement activities in the country including DQS, DQR (data desk review and in depth-review) , RDQA, SARA, data review meetings, joint appraisals, surveys (post campaign, immunisation coverage, equity, KAP), data and information system strengthening activities and trainings, including with the Health Data Collaborative and country’s monitoring and evaluation program where applicable.
- To provide technical support throughout all phases of planning, implementation, and follow-up of data strengthening activities including but not limited to:
- Budgeting of activities
- Trainings and/or review meetings
- Resource allocation and linking with annual operational plan
- Follow-up for activities
- To develop and use a monitoring framework to monitor all data strengthening activities outlined in the country’s immunization strategic and annual data improvement plan as well as the health data strengthening plan, including regular reporting to the country and partners on:
- GAVI grant performance monitoring and evaluation requirements
- Mapping of data strengthening activities and partner engagement
- Identified outputs and outcomes for each data strengthening activity
- Implementation status for data strengthening activities
- Identified gaps or challenges to planned implementation
- To facilitate mobilization of technical assistance and financial resources to support the country to respond to critical gaps in a timely manner
- To provide timely responses to inquiries from internal and external partners
- To perform other related responsibilities as assigned, including replacing and backstopping for others as required.
- Essential: Degree in Computer Science/Informatics/Database Management or Bio-statics with professional training or work experience in data analysis.
- Desirable: Training or good knowledge of public health data analysis, information system and data quality assessment, improvement planning, monitoring and Evaluation as well as data analysis software.
- Essential: A minimum of five years’ experience in data analysis, quality review and plan development in field operations, governmental institutions, regional or international organizations.
- Desirable: Experience in the analyzing epidemiological or other health related databases and assessing data quality. Good understanding of health related data and health information system
- Excellent organizational, technical, monitoring and planning skills with the ability to multitask and coordinate partners efforts for data agenda aligned with national HMIS, Proven IT skills, with an in-depth knowledge of data analysis and quality assessment, preferably complemented by knowledge/experience in necessary software/hardware;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to solve and explain technical issues, and take part in training activities with tact and diplomacy;
- Ability to write in a clear and concise manner, and to present factual information.
- Producing results
- Moving forward in a changing environment
- Fostering integration and teamwork
- Ensuring the effective use of resources
- Communicating in a credible and effective way
Use of Language Skills
- Essential: Excellent knowledge of English is required.
- Desirable: A good working knowledge of French would be an advantage.
- WHO offers staff in the National Professional Category an attractive remuneration package, which for the above position includes an annual net base salary (subject to mandatory deductions for pension contributions and health insurance, as applicable) and 30 days of annual leave.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to Apply