Youth Empowerment and Development Initiative – Founded in 2011, YEDI is a not-for-profit organisation that has benefitted over 220,000 young people in schools and community sites in Lagos, Abuja, Akwa-Ibom, and Ogun, with evidence-based programs designed to build young people’s assets, facilitate their access to health services, and promote their adherence to healthy behaviours.
The YEDI model trains young adult mentors as community change agents (SKILLZ Coaches) to implement age-appropriate and gender-sensitive curricula that combine football metaphors and activities with high impact health information that engage youth and break down cultural barriers. YEDI runs these programmes through fixed and outreach sites, which operate as safe spaces for young people 10-24 years old to access engaging sport-based activities as well as health and social services across the adolescent continuum of care. We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Outreach Officer
Employment Type: Full time
Tasks and Responsibilities:
Field Level Implementation:
- Plan and coordinate community outreaches to be delivered by Youth Coaches in program LGAs.
- Monitor and supervise the implementation of all community outreaches.
- Build capacity of Youth Coaches in the correct use of the community discussion guide and other work tools.
- Integrate all community outreach activities into the Hub master plan by providing updates and lessons as they arise.
- Attend all monthly review meetings at the Hub address general issues as well as build capacity on common gaps identified as a team.
Advocacy and Stakeholder Engagement:
- To liaise and network with community leaders to develop effective relationships to meet outreach targets
- Work in close cooperation with relevant government officials like the LGA social mobilization officers, community gatekeepers, local NGOs, host population; organize appropriate activities within the community to drive awareness and participation amongst the youth population of the target communities.
- Communicate program updates to communities working closely with government counterparts and community representatives.
- Prepare and Submit weekly and monthly reports for each Hub to immediate supervisor.
- Report any progress and any problems in a timely manner to the immediate supervisor.
- Develop and share success stories/best practices related to community engagement.
- Any other duties appropriate to the role as required by the Program manager.
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in Public health, Social and Behavioural Sciences or related fields.
- At least 2 – 3 years working experience in community mobilization, preferably in the area of SRH (Sexual Reproductive Health) functional skills.
- Experience of working with young people on sensitive topics including family planning, sexual and reproductive health, gender-based violence, etc.
- Experience working with communities, community structures, hosting community sensitizations and dialogues.
- Good organizational and planning skills
- Ability to write concise, analytical and accurate reports to meet agreed deadlines.
- Proactivity, with a sound commitment to teamwork and with a spirit of genuine collaboration
- Self-motivated with a strong commitment to humanitarian principle and high sense of ethics
- Excellent communication skills, as well as patience and politeness, are needed
- Ability to cope with high workload and stress and identify priority activities and assignments, and adjust priorities as required
- Multi-tasking and organizational skills is a must and a good sense of humor.
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Resume and Cover Letter to: [email protected] using “Outreach Officer – YPE4AH” as the subject of the mail.
Application Deadline: 23rd June, 2021.
Note: Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.