The Alliance for International Medical Action (ALIMA) is an independent humanitarian medical NGO that was created in 2009 by professionals of humanitarian medicine. ALIMA’s mission is to provide medical care in emergency situations or medical catastrophes; We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Nurse Anesthetist
Contract term: 6 months’ renewable
- Assist the OT team all anesthetic medical activities (pre-anesthesia evaluation, administration of anesthesia, recovery period, specific pharmacy, equipment, general organization of the OT, etc.), according to ALIMA policies, protocols and universal hygiene standards, in order to ensure good qualities, during and post-operative care of patients.
- Nursing Diploma with specialisation as Anaesthetics Nurse is essential.
- Essential 3 years of previous supervised work experience as an anaesthetist nurse.
- Experience in other NGOs and /or developing countries is desirable.
- Local language and mission language essential.
- Results, teamwork, flexibility, commitment, service
- The responsibilities mentioned above are not exhaustive and other work can be required according to the needs of the mission.
- Mobility is requested from ALIMA staff, including short term assignments from their usual place of work.
- Part of any ALIMA-employee responsibilities is the attendance of trainings as per the requirements of the organisation.
- The job description can be modified according to the evolution of the work.
- Note: This job description is not intended to be all inclusive as it could be amended from time to time according to the needs of the mission.
- Assist the team in consultations to patients due to undergo surgery, evaluating the risks of operating in collaboration with the surgeon, checking that patients authorize their operations in writing, providing them with appropriate information on their illness and treatments, and deciding on what type of anaesthetics to be used, in order to collaborate in setting everything up before surgery.
- Assist the midwifes and nurses in providing post-operative care, including immediate post-operative surveillance in the recovery room (ensuring patient’s recovery of consciousness and setting analgesic protocol) and special patients present in the intensive care unit, in order to adapt the prescriptions (hydric resuscitation, anti-biotherapies, analgesics), with special focus on patient’s pain relief, during the stabilization and recovery process.
- Does round consultations with the Surgeon Doctor once or twice a day, discussing therapeutic orientations with the department manager, renewing prescriptions and ensuring they are followed and systematically evaluating patients’ pain to adapt prescriptions and/or therapies for their relief.
- Implement and follow at all times hygiene rules, procedures and protocols, as well as look after the integrity of anaesthesia material (decontamination, sterilisation, storage conditions, etc.) and other equipment, in order to ensure the safety and protection of patients and other staff.
- Knows accidental blood exposure policy and procedure and implements them when necessary.
- Carry out all pharmacy related activities (stock control, station’s re-stocking, inventories, expired drugs, etc.) and other equipment of anaesthetic ward, doing special follow-up of narcotics and sedatives (register, consumptions, empty phials, etc.), ensuring enough stock-up and the good functioning to carry-out the medical activities. Draws up pharmacy orders according to needs.
- Evaluates the risk of operating in collaboration with the Surgeon Doctor.
- Respects, promotes and ensures medical confidentiality.
- Carry-out all nursing anaesthetics related activities during surgery, according to the procedures set before-hand by the project, in order to collaborate in patient’s adequate anaesthetized state and safety during the process.
- Preparing beforehand the drugs, material, and equipment required.
- Administering and maintains anaesthetics following the rules of hygiene and asepsis in force.
- Monitoring patients throughout the whole intervention.
- Collaborate with other departments within the project (responding to accident & other departments requests (ITFC, IPD, CEMONC, BEMONC), intervening in support of other services when needed, etc.), in order to support the overall ALIMA project with his/her expertise and capabilities.
- Carry out administrative procedures and documents (fill in of patients files, forms, statistics, data base, etc.), in order to have updated and correct information about the day-to-day activities.
- In collaboration with the Surgeon Doctor, carry out quantitative surgical-anaesthesia data collection, draw up and send out reports for the monthly follow up of peri-surgical mortality and for the quality of anaesthesia/pain management and informs immediately the direct supervisor in the event of medical error.
- Supports other medical services whenever needed, and works particularly in close collaboration with ALIMA general hospital accident and emergency room and midwifery and obstetrics team in the maternity department (specially to resuscitate new-borns).
- Is the reference person for pain problems within all ALIMA health facilities
- Training for all medical staff regarding resuscitation and anaesthesia basic knowledge
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV (including references) and Cover Letter to: [email protected] clearly indicating the “Job Title” as subject of your mail.
- Only successful applicants will be called for interview.
- No monetary transactions, neither demands of favors in kind, nor other types of favoritism will be tolerated in the recruitment process.
Application Deadline: 3rd October, 2019