Catholic Relief Services (CRS) is an international non-governmental organization supporting relief and development work in over 99 countries around the world. CRS programs assist persons on the basis of need, regardless of creed, ethnicity or nationality.
CRS works through local church and nonchurch partners to implement its programs, therefore, strengthening and building the capacity of these partner organizations is fundamental to programs in every country in which CRS operates. CRS has worked in Nigeria for more than 25 years. We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Construction Engineer
Job Ref Code: CNR81119
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Reports To: Infrastructure Team Leader
- The Construction Engineer will work under the leadership and guidance of the WASH/Shelter Infrastructure Team Lead, accountable for professional technical contribution and supervision of construction and rehabilitation activity implementation within the framework of the Northeast emergency response program.
Specific Job Responsibilities
Project Implementation and Supervision:
- Work with WASH/Shelter Infrastructure Team Lead in technical assessment of proposed infrastructure for rehabilitation.
- Supervise and ensure quality implementation of contractor-led construction activities related to the project
- Monitor and inspect all assigned infrastructure contracts and provide certification reports
- Support contractors in ensuring health, safety and environment component of the construction sites are adequately implemented.
- Support the development of Bills of Quantities (BoQs), technical drawings, and tender documents
- Develop detailed, site-specific work plan to ensure adequate technical oversight of construction activities at field-level
- Work closely with construction assistant and foremen and to provide technical expertise (e.g. mentoring, monitoring, construction, assessments) related to the planned infrastructure works on all field sites.
- Support foremen to utilize simple infrastructure quality/monitoring tools.
- Provide periodic report of field site works and challenges to Team Lead.
- Ensure that all construction/infrastructure data within the staff’s portfolio of sites is well managed and provides an accurate representation of the reality on the ground.
- Submit regular reports related to the project to the team lead.
Security management responsibilities:
- Responsible of the day-to-day security management as it relates to program implementation.
- Abide by the security procedures and policies and report any breaches.
- Participate in personal safety training as required.
- Perform other relevant tasks as assigned.
Qualifications and Skills
- Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering, Building Technology, Architecture or technical related fields with rich field experience. Professional license is a plus.
- Proficiency with AUTOCAD engineering design software application.
- Good English language skills (verbal and written)
- Willing and able to be based and travel regularly within remote areas, where network may be limited.
- Effective inter-personal skills, consensus-building.
- Planning and organization skills and analytical approach
- Demonstrated experience of integrity and professionalism
- Minimum of three years’ experience in field level construction project management and supervision.
- Good experience with effective contractor supervision and contractor performance management and evaluation.
- Good Knowledge of Nigerian construction standards, codes and regulations.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office software applications (PowerPoint, Word, Excel, Outlook Access).
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Previous experience of work in the humanitarian sector
- Strong customer service orientation with good communication and interpersonal skills
- Proactive, resourceful, solutions oriented and results-oriented
- Hausa and Kanuri languages are added advantage
- Good knowledge of the intervention area/s and local economy
- Good time management skills with ability to multitask
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should download the “CRS Application Form” using the link below, fill and send with a detailed Resume as one document (in a PDF Format) indicating “Position” being applied for and the “Job Ref Code” as the subject of the application application (e.g. Construction Engineer, CNR81119) to: [email protected]
Click here to Download Application Form (Drop-box)
Click Here for Job Details (Drop-box)
Equal Employer Opportunity:
“CRS is an equal –opportunity employer, does not discriminate based on race, color, religion and we are committed to gender sensitive programming and management’. etc.
Qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply”
By applying to this job, I understand and acknowledge that CRS requires its staff to treat all people with dignity and respect and to actively prevent harassment, abuse, exploitation, and human trafficking. Further, I understand that if I am a successful candidate, I will be subject to a comprehensive background check, and my personal/professional references will be asked to evaluate my behaviors related to the above safeguarding-related topics.
Statement of Commitment to Protection:
‘’CRS’ recruitment and selection procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation’’
Application Deadline: 14th November, 2019; (COB, 5:00pm)