Elephant Healthcare builds mobile, digital infrastructure for public health systems across the Global South. Founded in 2018 by doctors and driven by technical expertise, we are building a platform – ElephantOS – that improves outcomes, reduces costs and makes healthcare accessible for all. We are a small band of experts. This inspires our purpose as we focus on delivering solutions for real-world health problems. We are open, creative and collaborative, and we believe that products, whether used in Sudan or San Francisco, should be intuitive and beautiful. We currently have employees in Kenya, Nigeria, Pakistan and the UK. And we’re backed by leading VC firms including Novastar Ventures, General Catalyst, LocalGlobe, First Minute, SeedCamp, Push Ventures, Speed Invest and Manta Ray. We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Finance Assistant
Employment Type: Full-time
- We are looking for an organised, confident, reliable, enthusiastic and talented Finance Assistant with financial, bookkeeping and accounting experience who can actively contribute to our operations in Nigeria.
- The Finance Assistant role will encompass accounts payable management, budgeting and bookkeeping procedures and managing employee expenses. You will also be responsible for setting up bank payments and reconciling bank accounts daily.
- The ideal candidate will be competent in prioritising work, organised, self-motivated, and trustworthy. They will also be articulate and able to engage confidently with Elephant’s clients. They will be able to handle multiple tasks whilst keeping both the in-house and field staff supported. Finally the Finance Assistant will be able to support our Office Manager and ensure the smooth running of Elephant’s office and teams, which is a critical success factor to Elephant’s sustainable growth.
As Finance Assistant, you will be required to conduct the following:
- Monitor and support budgeting and bookkeeping procedures for the company;
- Develop and manage relationships with suppliers, including setting up online payments;
- Maintain books using Xero, including reconciling bank accounts daily and posting journals (using the support of the Elephant finance team and external accountants as appropriate);
- Instruct accountants on monthly payroll, making sure we remit taxes and pension payments;
- Work with external accountants to ensure tax and statutory compliance;
- Screen suppliers and maintain preferred supplier lists;
- Make reimbursements to team members as and when required; and
- Prepare the Management Accounts each month.
Our ideal colleague will be an experienced Finance Assistant who is looking for a role where they can learn and grow. We are looking for someone who can juggle multiple tasks, conflicting stakeholders and be personable. If this sounds like you, please apply. Desired attributes include:
- Degree educated in Finance, Accounting or relevant field AND professional accounting training is essential;
- Familiarity with office management procedures;
- Good working knowledge of MS Office and Google Drive/Sheets/Docs; and
- Advanced Excel experience is essential.
- Experience in accounting software (Xero would be helpful, but is not essential);
- Proven experience as a Finance Assistant, Accountant, Bookkeeper or relevant role for 4 to 6 years;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal abilities.
The starting pay is up to 450,000 Nigerian Naira gross per month. Your salary and benefits will grow as the company continues to grow. Our benefits include:
- Flexible working – we aim to provide all members of our team with flexibility regarding working hours. We expect the Finance Assistant to work from our office at least three days per week;
- 21 days holidays + public holidays; and
- Pension contribution.