Thomson Reuters provides professionals with the intelligence, technology and human expertise they need to find trusted answers. We enable professionals in the financial and risk, legal, tax and accounting, and media markets to make the decisions that matter most, all powered by the world’s most trusted news organization.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Bureau Chief
Job Function: Thomson Reuters News & Editorial Family Group
- Reuters is seeking an experienced and dynamic journalist for one of its most exciting roles in EMEA: Bureau Chief, Nigeria.
- The successful candidate, based in Lagos, will drive our coverage of Africa’s most populous nation, its biggest oil producer and largest economy.
- The role demands an enterprising and ambitious journalist who can lead by example.
- But for all Nigeria’s myriad problems and challenges, it is an immensely rewarding place to work: Nigerians are among the most optimistic, engaging and innovative people in Africa, adept at finding a solution to whatever life, the economy or the government throws at them.
- We want a bureau chief who embodies all those qualities and more.
- The right person will help our financial readers understand the complexities of doing business in Nigeria, and provide our media clients around the globe with compelling reporting on the country’s colourful political and cultural life, from Nobel prize-winning authors to internationally renowned musicians and mega-star Christian preachers.
- S/he must be adept across a broad range of topics, able to turn their hand from the battle against Boko Haram in the remote north or the impact on global energy markets of an oil spill in the Niger Delta; from intrigue inside the presidential palace to unorthodox efforts by the central bank to defend the country’s currency.
- S/he must have a proven track record of breaking exclusive news and of longer-format reporting and writing, as well as an aptitude for multi-media story-telling.
- Willingness to work in hostile and difficult environments, dealing with security threats, uncooperative authorities and poor communications are essential.
- They will be able to handle both breaking news and longer-term investigative efforts. And they will be at home telling stories in text, graphics, video and photographs.
Required Skills and Experience
- Strong writing and reporting skills, and experience in multi-media story-telling.
- Proven ability to lead from the front, breaking news and setting the agenda.
- Strong leadership skills to inspire, train and manage a large, diverse team.
- Knowledge of financial, business and corporate reporting, preferably in Africa.
- Ability to generate great story ideas, including enterprise pieces.
- Hostile environment experience and the ability to make decisions under pressure.
- Fluency in one of Nigeria’s main languages is helpful but not obligatory.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply