Posted on :
8 Jun, 2011
8 Jun, 2011
Job Title: Information Technology Assistant
Location : Abuja, NIGERIA
Type of Contract : Service Contract
Post Level : SB-3
Languages Required : English
Starting Date : (date when the selected candidate is expected to start) 25-Jul-2011
Duration of Initial Contract : One Year
Under the overall administrative supervision of the UNODC Country Representative and the technical supervision of the Team Leader, Global Field Office Support – ITS, the IT Assistant will manage the IT and communications support requirements provided by the Global Field Office Support to the Field Office in a timely and accurate fashion, fully in line and consistent with UN rules, regulations and standards.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
– Provide the full range of technical support to the field Office, including maintenance and administration of computer hardware, software, network, Servers, applications and the office website
– Assess and respond appropriately to IT concerns and questions by users in the field Office
– Undertake planned, regular maintenance of information technology equipment
– Monitor proper power and environmental conditions for office technology equipment
– Monitor repair and troubleshoot problems of data circuit, voice mail and fax links in co-ordination with service providers
– Ensure proper backup and restoration procedures for the LAN
– Plan and supervise installation and relocation of new computers, printers and LAN
– Support field office users in technical aspects of their work that involve interactions with IT, such as customized/proprietary mission critical applications, web applications, and use of various computer applications
-Support the maintenance of inventory and proper function of relevant IT and communications equipment, such as phones, mobiles, radios, cameras, security surveillance equipment etc) and assist in procurement of computer consumable and accessories
– Ensure data protection via regular monitoring/updating of virus definitions and antivirus software
– Perform other duties as assigned
– Professionalism: knowledge and understanding of computers and their attendant networking systems and structure; demonstrated knowledge of setting up and maintaining computer systems for an office; ability to determine core problems and offer solutions; sound knowledge of common computer programs, including database systems, office application systems, voice and video systems, amongst others; and knowledge of website design and contents management.
– Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others; correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style, and format to match audience; and is proactive in sharing information and keeping people informed.
– Technological awareness: Keeps abreast of available technologies; understands technological applications and actively seeks to apply and introduce technologies to the office that will make work easier and more efficient; and shows willingness to learn new technology.
– Planning and Organizing: Is able to develop clear goals for the short-, mid, and long-term that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities depending on pressing exigencies without compromising delivery of other tasks; uses time efficiently and allocates enough time to complete work; is flexible, and monitors and adjust plans and actions as necessary; and considers and factors in, unexpected and/or urgent tasks and requirements
Required Skills and Experience
– A University Degree/ HND in Computer Sciences or Information Technology. Any technical certifications will be an added advantage.
– At least 5 years of experience in IT support and network management.
– Prior experience of supporting /maintaining and administering an IT system and Local Area Network (LAN) in a dynamic and diverse office will be an added advantage.
– Experience in creating a user-friendly, and efficient e-filing system and ensuring compliance with existing and new IT policies and standards
– Experience with email infrastructure and applications systems such as IBM Lotus Domino and File server such as Novell Netware will be highly considered.
– Prior experience working in a dynamic, results-oriented environment manned by a diverse team with multiple sometimes conflicting needs.
– Fluency in any UN (preferably English) and national language of the duty station.
Application Deadline : 16th June 2011
CLICK HERE To Apply
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.