African Development Bank Group (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth. In order to sharply focus the objectives of the Ten Year Strategy (2013 – 2022) and ensure greater developmental impact, five major areas (High 5s), all of which will accelerate our delivery for Africa, have been identified for scaling up, namely; energy, agro-business, industrialization, integration and improving the quality of life for the people of Africa.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Culture and Employee Engagement Officer – CHHR3
Location: Côte d’Ivoire
Position N°: 50053854
- The Vice-Presidency, Human Resources and Corporate Services ensures the delivery of efficient, people-centered, client-oriented, corporate services to ensure overall institutional effectiveness in all aspects of the Bank’s corporate services.
- The complex leads efforts to ensure the competitiveness of the Bank as the employer of choice and is responsible for providing leadership in the formulation and implementation of Bank’s strategies on people, information technology, general services and institutional procurements, language services, business continuity and, health and safety strategies.
The Hiring Department/Division
- The role of the Human Resources Management department is to develop and execute a People Strategy, Policies, processes and practices which will enable the Bank to achieve its strategic Agenda. Core to the Human Resources Strategy will be the attraction, development, engagement, motivation and retention of a best-in-class workforce.
- In order to create a truly transformed human resources work-way, the Human Resources Management department is structured around a triangular Model: Business Partnerships for strategy, client contracting and human resources delivery; Centers of Expertise/Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) for internal consulting, thought leadership, design, talent and staff development and training and best practice bench-marking; Human Resources Shared Services for transactional excellence and employees outreach. This new Human Resources Model will deliver a world-class employee life-cycle experience.
- The Staff Training and Development Division embeds a strategic approach to human resource development and management that results in more effective talent and performance management including strategic sourcing and career development and mobility, leadership development, compensation and reward, policy and compliance.
Reporting to the Policy and Compliance Officer and under the overall supervision of the Manager – Staff Training and Development, the Culture and Employee Engagement Officer will:
- Lead bank-wide initiatives to promote a value-driven, professional and ethical work environment and promote healthy working relationships between employees and their supervisors.
- Coordinate all activities relating to employee engagement, culture and leadership so that the Bank proactively promotes leadership and staff behaviors that support the vision of the Bank to be an employer of choice, able to attract, reward and retain top talent through both monetary and non-monetary mechanisms.
- Drive all initiatives to ensure the Bank’s values are lived at all levels especially in the management of people to create a workplace and culture that upholds the values of the organization.
Duties and Responsibilities
Reporting to the Policy and Compliance Officer, the Culture and Employee Engagement Officer will undertake the following key responsibilities:
- Develop and execute proactive employee relations initiatives that set up, reinforce and maintain optimal relationships between staff and management in the Bank.
- Work with the Talent Management & Mobility Officer, coordinate women mentoring programs implementation Bank wide, and act as Gender focal point for the Department.
- Collaborate with units which provide support, advice and assistance in resolving conflicts, grievances and ethical issues including the Staff Council, Ombudsman, Ethics Office and Staff Appeals Committee
- In liaison with the Total Rewards & Performance Management Officer, develop or provide input in the design and implementation of motivational and employee reward programs.
- Design long-term strategies, interventions and programs to develop the health and culture of the organization to promote and achieve a culture of performance, service excellence and employee engagement.
- Develop and manage annual budgets and proposals, timelines and creative design to increase employee engagement and to sustain the employee culture.
- Oversee the overall production of internal communications, events and program materials for the purpose of communicating critical information to employees. Accordingly, coordinate the department’s communication activities, including the regular publication of the internal newsletter; ensuring all corporate communications reach multi-generations, diverse employees, and various categories of staff
- Develop employee recognition strategies to include reviewing, evaluating and making recommendations for departmental recognition programs; in liaison with the Total Rewards and Performance Management Officer
- Lead ongoing analysis of key data relating to employee retention and exit trends and prepare reports and recommendations to management based on this data. Accordingly, analyze facts in support of early detection of problems and advise management on remedial and preventive actions.
- Collect timely data to support business initiatives through focus groups, staff surveys, town halls, one-on-one interviews, and other methodology; and evaluate and apply the data to support decisions.
- Strategically collaborate with and build relationships across business functions and liaison with the HR Business Partners to ensure standardization and corporate compliance of Bank-wide initiatives
- Research, evaluate and select best practices that can be implemented to promote a value-driven culture of high performance among staff.
- Measure, assess, and report on the effectiveness of engagement programs to ensure they are delivering results aligned with defined success criteria. Refine strategies and develop new solutions to improve the employee experience.
- Manage employee engagement surveys and facilitate development of Bank-wide initiatives in order to continuously enhance the people management skills and capabilities of the Bank. Accordingly, coordinate the Bank-wide action planning process to address employee engagement issues.
- Provide or coordinate staff counseling on culture and work relationships as may be required from time to time; or where additional support is needed beyond the HR Business Partner support.
- Provide expert support and guidance to all staff and HR Business Partners in the area of employee relations.
- In liaison with the Leadership and Employee Development Officer, contribute to the development and implementation of leadership training programs in view of culture and engagement needs of the Bank. Accordingly, develop and support the delivery of learning and talent development interventions (e.g. stress management, emotional intelligence, etc), working with and seeking input from other teams as required.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience:
- At least a Master’s degree in Human Resources Management, Law, Social Science or in a relevant discipline related to the responsibilities described above.
- Effective advisory skills with analytical and problem solving skills
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions for reporting purposes
- Ability to facilitate training sessions.
- Client Orientation
- Ability to communicate and write effectively in French or English, with a good working knowledge of the other language.
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office Suite applications
- Additional qualifications in organizational change/ development, culture or coaching will be an added advantage.
- Have at least five (5) years of relevant and practical experience in Human Resources Management, staff and/or legal counseling, with at least 3 years of experience in handling training and capacity building activities
- Practical experience in staff coaching and counseling
- Having private sector experience will be an added advantage
- Communication and ability to interact effectively with staff members at all levels (being able to handle staff personal and confidential issues directly during one-on-one interviews)
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment as a team player with excellent interpersonal and negotiation skills
- Ability to be discrete and maintain a high degree of confidentiality
Application Deadline 5th June, 2018.