Ahmadu Bello University in collaboration with the Federal Ministry of Health and Federal Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development invites applications from suitably qualified candidates for:
Title: 2017 Field Epidemiology and Laboratory Training Program for the award of MPH in Field Epidemiology, MPH in Veterinary Epidemiology & MPH in Laboratory Epidemiology and Management
- The Nigeria Field Epidemiology and Laboratory Training Program (NFELTP) is a two-year in-service training program in field epidemiology or veterinary epidemiology or laboratory epidemiology and management.
- The NFELTP was created to serve as a long-term program within the Federal Ministry of Health (FMOH) and the Federal Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development (FMARD). It trains Field Epidemiologists, Public Health Laboratorians, and Veterinary Epidemiologists for leadership positions in various levels of both the FMOH and the FMARD.
- The trainees provide epidemiological services to the FMOH, FMARD, State Ministries of Health, and State Ministries of Agriculture and Rural Development during the training, through long-term field placements. The program is currently sponsored by the FMOH and FMARD with funding and technical support of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
- Strengthen capacity to respond to public health emergencies such as outbreaks, epidemics, natural disasters, and emerging and re-emerging infectious diseases.
- Conduct research activities on priority public health problems.
- Strengthen public health and veterinary surveillance systems.
- Strengthen laboratory capacity and its participation in surveillance and field investigation.
- Strengthen the linkage between public health and veterinary epidemiology.
- Improve communications and networking within the country and throughout the region on public health issues
The NFELTP will focus on training persons who are or will become field epidemiology leaders at Federal, State and Local Government levels. Field epidemiology/public health candidates should have at least:
- MBBS/M.B.Ch.B, BDS degrees with certification from the Medical and Dental Council of Nigeria (MDCN)
- Two years working experience ii, a related government position (with evidence of confirmation)
- Candidates working with epidemiology and disease control programmes/units at the LGA, State and Federal level programme will have an added advantage
- Recommendation from the Head of Department! Ministry
- Credits in at least five O level subjects (including English& Mathematics)
Those interested in the public health laboratory epidemiology and management course should have at least a:
- B.Sc degree (with a minimum of second class upper division) in microbiology or relevant subjects.
- Registration and Licensing from relevant National council is an added advantage.
- Have a minimum of two years’ experience in a government laboratory (with evidence of confirmation).
- Candidates working with disease control units at the LGA, State and Federal level programme will have an added advantage
- Recommendation from the Head of Department/Ministry
- Credits in at least five 0 level subjects, including English and Mathematics
Candidates interested in the MPH Veterinary Epidemiology Practice Course should have at least a:
- DVM degree with certification from Veterinary Council of Nigeria
- Recommendation from the serving Ministry/Department / Parastata
- Two years working experience within the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development or other relevant State Ministries/ Parastatal (with evidence confirmation)
- Candidates working with disease control units at the LGA, State and Federal level programme will have i added advantage.
- Credits in at least five 0 level subjects (including English& Mathematics)
- Individuals accepted to the NFELTP will be required to sign a contract committing them to remain in government service for a minimum of five years following graduation.
Examination and Interview Process
- Shortlisted candidates will be invited for an enrolment examination and will be interviewed by the FELTP National Selection Committee for final recommendation.
- The National Selection Committee will consist of representative from the following organizations Federal Ministry of Health, Federal Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development, Ahmadu Bello University, University of Ibadan, African Field Epidemiology Network (AFENET) and CDC. The National Selection Committee will ensure and assure balance and equity in recruitment and election procedures.
- During the interview, each candidate will be expected to appear with original copies of his/her relevant credentials In addition, each candidate will be expected to submit his/her academic transcript; formal statement of at least 250 words explaining the candidates educational and career objectives and how these objectives correspond with the NFELTP, authorization/recommendation from the applicant’s employer, and photocopies of relevant credentials.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click Here to Apply
- All applicants are advised to read and follow the General Guidelines on the Application Process that has been provided on the portal. These guidelines provide important information about form completion and designated banks where payments can be made.
- After submission, a confirmation message will be sent to the applicant’s email address and telephone.
- Expected date of commencement will be in February 2018.
Application Deadline 5th January, 2018.