The BBC is an international multimedia broadcaster on radio, TV, online and social networks with a weekly global audience of 320 million. As part of an historic and exciting expansion of BBC Africa, the BBC World Service is launching a new Sports weekly TV programme and innovative digital sport content alongside existing African Sport output.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Digital Journalist – BBC Monitoring
Job Reference: BBC/TP/623869/29645
Location: Lagos, Nigeria
Contract Type: Fixed Term – Full Time
Job Category: Journalism
Business Unit: News – Monitoring
Job family: Editorial
- BBC Monitoring (BBCM) provides news and information based on our monitoring of open source media from over 150 countries in more than 70 languages. It is an important part of the BBC’s newsgathering operation, with journalists based in the UK and in international bureaux, and provides content for a range of BBC platforms.
- Our extensive operation enables us to provide insightful and reliable coverage of political, economic, security and media news.
- Our round-the-clock monitoring of TV, radio, press, digital media and news agencies is also provided to commercial clients and the UK and US governments.
- To feed into the news agenda for the day and oversee the content produced by Independent contracts based in the target region, identifying new ways to deliver content relevant to all BBCM’s users.
- To sub-edit the work of independent Contractors, ensuring that all output is of the highest possible editorial standards.
- To contribute to the development of the new products/services, generating ideas for how stories can be best told to serve BBCM’s users.
- To produce engaging content in English in a range of different formats, on insight gained through monitoring TV, radio, newspapers and social media in the target area.
- To come up with new, original and creative ways of telling stories and think of the best ways to integrate images (including video), graphics and data into BBCM’s products in order to have a powerful visual impact.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Maintain a thorough understanding of the news and current affairs of the region; and
- Act as a point of reference both internally and for all BBCM’s users
- Share BBCM’s insight directly with BBC audiences, including through broadcast interviews
- Support the Editorial Lead in providing coaching, mentoring, training and management of Independent Contractors based in the region
- Work collaboratively with colleagues in BBC Monitoring and across the BBC
- Produce within tight deadlines engaging and insightful content in a variety of different formats, based on the monitoring of vernacular media sources
- Ensure all output produced adheres to the highest journalistic standards and is consistent with BBC editorial guidelines, including work produced by Independent Contractors
- Actively seek feedback from BBCM’s users; work with the Editorial Lead and the rest of the team to interpret this and respond in a timely manner
- Come up with original editorial ideas and creative treatments for ongoing and emerging narratives, including data-driven products and multimedia elements
- Continually develop expert knowledge of all media types (including social media) in the coverage area; ensure that this source context features in output
Knowledge, Skills, Training and Experience
- Experience as a journalist with demonstrable news judgment
- Experience of taking editorial decisions quickly and independently
- Good working French (to assist with coverage of Francophone West Africa)
- Good working knowledge of any key languages in West Africa
- A thorough, demonstrated knowledge and understanding of the news and current affairs of the region and expertise in the local media environment
- Ability to write about news and media developments in idiomatic English in a way that is engaging and relevant for the intended audience and suitable for delivery on multiple platforms
- An interest in international news and media developments globally
- Ability to think up new treatments and formats to deliver multi-media, digital news
- Willingness and enthusiasm to embrace new ways of working and technology to find and analyse information and produce content
- Ability to understand and identify the needs of BBCM users.
- Experience of supervising or overseeing freelancers or news contributors in the region
- Content creation and image (video, photos) editing skills
- Broadcast experience
- Ability to use a detailed understanding of different BBCM user groups and target markets to constantly review and adapt output to meet new requirements
- Thorough understanding of the BBC Editorial Guidelines and commitment to the editorial aims of BBC News
- The position involves shift work including evenings, but not nights.
- Creative Thinking – able to transform creative ideas into practical reality. Can look at existing situations and problems in novel ways and come up with creative solutions.
- Communication – able to get one’s message understood clearly by adopting a range of styles, tools and techniques appropriate to the audience and the nature of the information.
- Resilience – manages personal effectiveness by managing emotions in the face of pressure, setbacks or when dealing with provocative situations. Demonstrates an approach to work that is characterized by commitment, motivation and energy. Is willing to accept and act on feedback.
- Flexibility – adapts and works effectively with a variety of situations, individuals or groups. Able to understand and appreciate different and opposing perspectives on an issue, to adapt an approach as the requirements of a situation change, and to change or easily accept changes in one’s own organization or job requirements. Recognizes that change and uncertainty is the norm.
- Managing relationships and team working – Able to build and maintain effective working relationships with a range of people, including working remotely within a team. Embraces diversity. Works cooperatively with others to be part of a team, as opposed to working separately or competitively.
- The following competencies (behaviours and characteristics) have been identified as key to success in the job. Successful candidates are expected to demonstrate these competencies.
- Editorial Judgment – demonstrates balanced and objective judgment based on a thorough understanding of BBC editorial guidelines, target audience, team and department objectives. Makes the right editorial decisions under pressure, taking account of conflicting views where necessary.
- Planning and Organization – able to think ahead in order to establish an efficient and appropriate course of action for self and others. Prioritizes and plans activities taking into account all the relevant issues and factors such as deadlines, staffing and resources and team priorities. Juggles priorities under pressure.
- Collaborative Working – Works in partnership and actively collaborates with colleagues in the team. Recognizes shared objectives and priorities, and works co-operatively to achieve them, putting them before personal preferences and objectives. Works co-
- Expected to select stories and sources which provide unique insights to BBCM’s users; legal issues, such as libel, should be referred up
- Expected to engage with colleagues in BBCM, independent contractors and the wider BBC both via email but also face-to-face. There may be need to travel to the UK or in the region
- Also expected to have contact with BBCM’s government and commercial users to better understand their needs and how to improve the service BBCM provides
- Needs to be proactive and constantly coming up with creative ideas to best tell the stories from the region; working to the Senior Digital journalist or the Editorial Lead
- The work of the Digital Journalist will be reviewed by the Editorial Lead or Senior Digital Journalist
- Required to keep abreast of developments in a diverse and constantly changing region.
- The role is required to oversee the work of Independent contractors based in the region, including recruitment, training and providing regular feedback.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 8th August, 2018.