Busara Center for Behavioral Economics is a research and advisory organization that pursues two twin missions of advancing behavioral science and alleviating poverty.
We work with researchers, practitioners, and policy-makers to conduct rigorous field and laboratory-based experimental studies in behavioral economics in developing countries and apply research outcomes to real-world problems. We are headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya with active project operations in Uganda, Tanzania, Ethiopia and Nigeria.
Growth is in our DNA hence we are currently taking applications for qualified individuals to join the small-but-growing Busara Nigeria team to work closely with the project associates based in the Nairobi office.
Associates are the primary project managers for all external Busara projects. Associates are expected to be able to quickly gain an expert understanding of a particular problem or research question and use all tools at their disposal, both within and outside Busara to execute an engagement to the highest possible degree, with careful consideration of timing and budget.
Associates are expected to have strong qualitative and quantitative skills and be able to quickly understand and adapt to new contextual situations. Associates should be able to develop creative and rigorous solutions to client and partner needs and manage both internal and external relationships with energy, enthusiasm and professionalism. Associates directly manage other project staff that work on their project and, as well as liaise with other Busara teams and are expected to coordinate and manage staff effectively.
Associates report to Engagement Directors for all responsibilities.
Does this sound interesting? If so, are you looking to:
- Design and develop research and advisory projects focused on using behavioral science to alleviate global poverty
- Recruit partners from academic institutions, development banks, large
- NGOs, private companies and social enterprises and manage the relationships
- Implement qualitative and quantitative behavioral research
Develop and pilot instruments
- Manage large scale field and lab projects with leading academics and institutions
- Organize, clean and analyze data
- Disseminate results, prepare project reports and present results
- Design future scope of works
- Minor administrative tasks as part of project work
- Live in Lagos, with some domestic and international travel.
In addition to project responsibilities, Associates also have the following organizational responsibilities to ensure a healthy and functioning organization:
- Work with the Associate team to conduct goal setting exercises, objectives and key results, and team building events.
- Contribute to skills-building workshops for Associate teams.
- Communicate across organizational teams to ensure a healthy and functioning organization.
- Complete required focus contracts, reviews and snapshots.
- Assist with internal initiatives where necessary.
- Serve as mentors to Analyst and Project Lead team members, when requested.
- Serve on internal committees when necessary.
So you’re interested in the organization and what the role entails. But do you have what we’re looking for?
- A Bachelor’s degree in economics, social sciences, public policy, or related fields. Other fields will be considered.
- 2-4 years previous work experience in a related field
- Excellent management and organizational skills along with strong quantitative skills
- Fluency and excellent communication skills in English
- Interest and experience working in a fast-paced working environment
- Flexible, self-motivating, able to manage multiple tasks efficiently, a team player
- Demonstrated ability to manage high-level relationships with partner organizations
- Strong quantitative skills including knowledge of and experience working with STATA or other data analysis software
- A Master’s degree in economics, social sciences, public policy, or related fields
- Familiarity with and interest in behavioral economics or science.
- Strong interest and familiarity in evidence-based policy. Past experience in working on evidence-based policy is preferred
- Familiarity with STATA or R.
- Experience working in Nigeria.
- Experience managing and mentoring staff
- Familiarity with randomized controlled trials
- A quickly growing, dynamic work environment
- Full health benefits
- Competitive renumeration package with travel benefits
- Professional development budget
Availability is as from February 2018.