Marriott International is a leading global Lodging company based in Bethesda, Maryland, USA, with more than 4,100 properties in 79 countries and reported revenues of nearly $14 billion in fiscal year 2014. Its heritage can be traced to a root beer stand opened in Washington, D.C., in 1927 by J. Willard and Alice S. Marriott.
Marriott has more than 361,000 people working worldwide at managed or franchised properties and corporate offices. Marriott has been consistently recognized as a top employer and for its superior business ethics. The company also manages the award-winning guest loyalty program,
Marriott Rewards® and The Ritz-Carlton Rewards® program, which together surpass 49M members.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Chef de Cuisine
Job Number: 17001UBV
Location: Lagos – Ikeja
Job Category: Food and Beverage & Culinary
Brand: Renaissance Hotels
Position Type: Management
- Accountable for overall success of the daily kitchen operations. Exhibits culinary talents by personally performing tasks while leading the staff and managing all food related functions. Works to continually improve guest and employee satisfaction while maintaining the operating budget.
- Supervises all kitchen areas to ensure a consistent, high quality product is produced. Responsible for guiding and developing staff including direct reports.
- Must ensure sanitation and food standards are achieved.
Core Work Activities
Leading Culinary Team:
- Utilizes interpersonal and communication skills to lead, influence, and encourage others; advocates sound financial/business decision making; demonstrates honesty/integrity; leads by example.
- Ensures and maintains the productivity level of employees.
- Solicits employee feedback, utilizes an “open door” policy and reviews employee satisfaction results to identify and address employee problems or concerns.
- Ensures employees understand expectations and parameters.
- Establishes and maintains open, collaborative relationships with employees and ensures employees do the same within the team.
- Supervises and manages employees. Managing all day-to-day operations. Understanding employee positions well enough to perform duties in employees’ absence.
- Encourages and builds mutual trust, respect, and cooperation among team members.
- Serves as a role model to demonstrate appropriate behaviors.
- Celebrates successes by publicly recognizing the contributions of team members.
- Leads shifts while personally preparing food items and executing requests based on required specifications.
- Supervises and coordinates activities of cooks and workers engaged in food preparation.
Ensuring Culinary Standards and Responsibilities are Met:
- Develops, designs, or creates new applications, ideas, relationships, systems, or products, including artistic contributions.
- Follows proper handling and right temperature of all food products.
- Ensures employees maintain required food handling and sanitation certifications.
- Assists Executive Chef with all kitchen operations.
- Maintains purchasing, receiving and food storage standards.
- Prepares and cooks foods of all types, either on a regular basis or for special guests or functions.
- Checks the quality of raw and cooked food products to ensure that standards are met.
- Supervises kitchen shift operations and ensures compliance with all Food & Beverage policies, standards and procedures.
- Recognizes superior quality products, presentations and flavor.
- Ensures compliance with food handling and sanitation standards.
- Assists in determining how food should be presented and creates decorative food displays.
Ensuring Exceptional Customer Service:
- Provides services that are above and beyond for customer satisfaction and retention.
- Observes service behaviors of employees and provides feedback to individuals.
- Strives to improve service performance.
- Emphasizes guest satisfaction during all departmental meetings and focuses on continuous improvement.
- Empowers employees to provide excellent customer service.
- Manages day-to-day operations, ensures the quality, standards and meeting the expectations of the customers on a daily basis.
- Improves service by communicating and assists individuals to understand guest needs, providing guidance, feedback, and individual coaching when needed.
- Sets a positive example for guest relations.
Maintaining Culinary Goals:
- Achieves and exceeds goals including performance goals, budget goals, team goals, etc.
- Develops specific goals and plans to prioritize, organize, and accomplish your work.
- Understands the impact of departments operation on the overall property financial goals and objectives and manages to achieve or exceed budgeted goals.
- Trains employees in safety procedures.
Managing and Conducting Human Resource Activities:
- Identifies the developmental needs of others and coaches, mentors, or otherwise helps others to improve their knowledge or skills.
- Utilizes the Labor Management System to effectively schedule to business demands and for tracking of employee time and attendance.
- Reviews staffing levels to ensure that guest service, operational needs and financial objectives are met.
- Participates in employee progress discipline procedures.
- Identifies the educational needs of others, develops formal educational or training programs or classes, and teaches or instructs others.
- Manages payroll administration.
- Brings issues to the attention of the department manager and Human Resources as necessary.
- Participates in the employee performance appraisal process, providing feedback as needed.
- Participates in the development and implementation of corrective action plans.
- Provides information to supervisors, co-workers, and subordinates by telephone, in written form, e-mail, or in person.
- Analyzes information and evaluates results to choose the best solution and solve problems.
- Attends and participates in all pertinent meetings.
- Only Nigerian Nationals may apply for the position.
Education and Experience:
- High school diploma or GED; 4 years experience in the culinary, food and beverage, or related professional area.
- 2-year degree from an accredited university in Culinary Arts, Hotel and Restaurant Management, or related major; 2 years experience in the culinary, food and beverage, or related professional area.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
- Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture.
- Marriott International does not discriminate on the basis of disability, veteran status or any other basis protected under federal, state or local laws