Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we collaborate to put bold solutions into action – helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within, now and for the future. In Nigeria, Mercy Corps operates in over 13 states focusing on key thematic areas of humanitarian response, conflict mitigation and adolescent girls’ empowerment.
We invite applications from suitably qualified candidates for the position below:
Job Title: Cash and Voucher Program Assistant
Reference Number: MDG/HUMOPS/2018/00028
Location: Dikwa, Gwoza/Bama – Borno
- Cash Transfer Programming (CTP)/Cash for Work (CFW) Program Assistant is responsible for assisting in the implementation of CTP and CFW activities in the intervention communities of Ngala in Northern Borno State.
- With support from the Program Officer – Cash & Vouchers, s/he will assist the Program Officer to supervise all projects, project selection and planning, project assets, local government and community liaison work, monitoring and payment.
- The CTP/CFW Program Assistant will report to the Cash & Vouchers Senior Program Officer and work collaboratively with fellow program and MEL staff.
- S/He may also support other livelihood sector interventions including unconditional cash transfers, livelihood grants and VSLAs.
General Position Summary
- The program assistant will assist the program teams in the day to day implementation of all program activities in the areas of intervention
Essential Job Functions
- Document lessons learned and success stories on the project.
- Adherence to all MC policies and procedures as outlined in MC policies and procedure manuals;
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission in country of operation;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Assist program officers to ensure program progress according to the developed schedule and work plan.
- Assist in the coordination in Ngala.
- Support in the process of beneficiary registration, community mobilization and sensitization.
- Assist in promoting community participation and inclusion so as to encourage community ownership over activities implemented.
- Ensure equal representation of various community groups in the implementation of activities.
- Assist in the facilitation of community meetings, focus group discussion and other as required by the program.
- Keep program officers and management updated with regards to security situation in the project implementation area.
- Provide weekly field reports, capturing activities progress, lessons learned as well as general situation and community updates and needs.
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries:
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
- Reports Directly To: Cash and Voucher Program Officer
- Works Directly With: Program, Operations, MEL, and support team
Knowledge and Experience
- 1-2 years of working experience. Previous experience in community work is highly preferred.
- Proven ability to develop and maintain good relation with the local communities and project beneficiaries.
- Demonstrated skills in planning, organizing and reporting
- Bachelor degree in relevant field or equivalent experience is highly recommended
- Ability to work under pressure
- Strong interpersonal, intercultural and communication skills
- Excellent oral and written skills and computer skills
- Fluency in English; fluency in Hausa is required, ability to speak Kanuri and Shuwa highly desired.
- The successful candidate will be an effective communicator, with dedication towards community work, commitment to work long hours in the field conditions with limited access to resources.
- S/He will be highly motivated, with initiative and capable to work without direct supervision. S/he will be willing to conduct field travels and work in ethnically and culturally diversified and fast growing team.
- Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours.
- Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
How To Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send not more than 4-page CV’s and Cover Letters in one document, addressing the position requirements and location to: [email protected]
Application Deadline 27th July, 2018.
- All applications must include the position title and reference number in the subject line and should not be more than 4 pages.
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview and we are an equal opportunity organization so women are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.