Mercy Corps, An International Humanitarian Organization is looking for a suitable candidate to fill a very strategic position within ENGINE team in Abuja. We are looking for motivated individuals, who are enthusiastic about the work we do and are looking to work within a dynamic team in the capacity below:
Job Title: Senior Program Officer (ENGINE)
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
- The ENGINE Senior Project Officer will provide technical assistance for the implementation of a 3-year project to reduce financial and education barriers for marginalized Nigerian adolescent girls and young women.
- The goals of the ENGINE program are to increase girls’ and young women’s access to (1) financial education and life skills; (2) peer-to-peer networks and mentors; and (3) direct assets (materials and savings).
- ENGINE will integrate young women into value chains as well as conduct other market-driven employment opportunities.
- ENGINE will also work with girls in formal and informal education to increase their learning opportunities and outcomes to prepare them for future economic activities.
- ENGINE will be implemented in FCT/Abuja, Lagos, Kano, and Kaduna States.
- Mercy Corps serves as a sub-awardee to a large international company and will collaborate with other stakeholders for the implementation of the ENGINE program, including the Nigerian Ministry of Education and Central Bank, as well as private sector actors.
General Position Summary
- The senior project officer will be responsible for implementation of ENGINE activities in FCT.
- This position will ensure ENGINE program implementation is responsive to marginalized Nigerian girls, their communities and skill-based centers, and coordinate activities that transition marginalized girls into economic activities.
- The senior programme officer is responsible for project deliverables in Abuja Municipal Area council to cover 7 schools and 5 Communities.
Essential Job Functions
- Support technical aspects of school to work programming for ENGINE including developing incentives for girls to enter into skills building, coordinating links to female mentors, identify existing peer to peer networks and identify opportunities for additional networks within schools, link girls with Islamic and/or community-based education, increasing economic assets through savings clubs and links to financial institutions.
- Ensure implementation of activities is on time, target and budget.
- Harmonizing and sharing all reports for FCT team(Program reports, security/crisis report, M&E Report, Program progress reports, child safeguarding reports)
- State level engagements with stakeholders and facilitating all approvals required for implementation
- FCT focal person for all external engagement and MC HQ correspondence
- Perform any other duties assigned
- Coordinate links with existing and planned donor interventions that target adolescent girls to identify girls on an on-going basis to participate in ENGINE activities.
- Identify Nigerian partners – NGOs as well as vocational training/skills centers – to participate in ENGINE activities.
- Advocate for the inclusion of marginalized girls and for girls to be active in non-traditional sectors at the household and community level and within Nigerian vocational and skills-based education.
- In collaboration with M&E staff, implement relevant surveys, need assessments, data and information collection for on-going monitoring.
- Lead implementation of all programme activities based on project milestone in 5 communities (Peshe, Jikwoyi, Nyanya 2, Orozo and Kurudu)
- Lead the information and strengthen of savings group in 5 ENGINE communities based on target (Peshe, Jikwoyi, Nyanya 2, Orozo and Kurudu)
- Ensure implementation of activities is on time, target and budget in 5 communities
- Support the integration and transition of girls into economic value chains.
- Facilitate access to financial inclusion services to marginalised girls.
- Creating enabling environment and sustainability
- Ensure the formation or strengthening of girls fora in each of the five (5) communities
- Identify other opportunity for value chain for the girls
- Ensure the strengthening or formation of SBMC/PTA in schools
- Ensure the formation or strengthening of community action committee in each of the five (5) ENGINE communities
- Support the activities of State Advisory Group(SAG) in conducting quarterly meetings and documenting all proceedings of meetings
- Budget Management
- To develop and manage budget, and liquidate funds expended in line with donor regulations
- Communicate effectively to ensure overall project targets and donor obligations are met.
- Participate in education coordination meetings as requested by the ENGINE Project Coordinator.
Supervisory Responsibility: Program Officers and M&E Officer
Reports Directly To: Program Coordinator, ENGINE
Works Directly With: Other ENGINE technical and program staff and Mercy Corps’ implementation partners.
Knowledge and Experience
- A degree in Education, Management, Social Sciences, International Development or other relevant field.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in education, gender- focused, skills building program.
- Experience managing large-scale secondary education or school to work and especially targeting marginalized girls or young women programs required. Prefer expertise in at least one of the following areas: accelerated learning programs, Islamic and/or community-based education targeting community acceptance of girl’s education, increasing economic assets through savings clubs and links to financial institutions. Experience using SMS for training or messaging preferred.
- Experience working in a multi-organizational team (international and national partners) is a plus.
- Experience with private-sector led initiatives and DfID strongly preferred.
- Strong written and oral communication skills in English required, including report development, writing and editing.
- Demonstrated attention to detail, ability to follow procedures, meet deadlines and work independently and cooperatively with team members.
- Experience working with country-level, ministries and government officials. Ministry of Education experience preferred.
- A clear understanding of program implementation as well as willingness and ability to comply with Mercy Corps and donor policies and procedures is essential.
- A high level of personal integrity, honesty and transparency is essential.
- The ability to interact effectively with community stakeholders and staff members is required.
- A demonstrated ability to manage budget accurately, meet deadlines and develop high quality reports is necessary.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their CV’s and Cover Letter in one document, addressing the position requirements to: [email protected]
- Application must include the position title in the subject line and not more than 4 pages.
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
- We are an equal opportunity organization and we strongly encourage women to apply for this position
Application Deadline 22nd June, 2016.