The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, emergency food security, and water, sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters, NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours’ notice when a crisis occurs. We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Security Officer
Webcruiter ID: 4133311146
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Employment type: Contract
Percentage of full-time: 100
- NRC is looking for a Security Officer for our area office in Maiduguri, Borno State in Northern Nigeria. The purpose of the Security Officer is to implement Security activities in Borno State and support the implementation of Security activities in other field offices.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide security support to the area office on all policies, procedures, guidelines and planning for staff safety, operational security and program continuity in Nigeria;
- Building Acceptance in the field to empower and expand humanitarian programming.
- Develop ongoing relationships with local authorities as needed.
- Work to ensure that NRC, its mission and work is known and accepted.
- Provide security input and advice in assessments to consider new NRC programs in new geographic areas. In coordination with Security Manager liaise with relevant security actors e.g., INSO, NGO Security Focal Points, region UNDSS contacts, local community stakeholders, Governors, etc.
- Participate in the evaluation of the Nigeria Security Management Plan on a regular basis.
- Ensure compliance to NRC Security Management Framework.
- Assist in the review and update of hibernation and evacuation plans for all NRC offices and residences.
- Conduct rapid risk assessments of offices and residences. Follow up on actions to be taken to ensure compliance with HSS standards.
- Undertake continual assessments of security equipment and assets.
- University Degree in any field, preferably in Security Management
- Knowledge of the context in North East Nigeria
- Knowledge of Hausa and Kanuri, knowledge of other local languages in Borno State is an added advantage
- Experience with start-up communications room.
- Planning and delivering results
- Empowering and building trust
- Communicating with impact and respect
- Handling insecure environment
- A good sense of humour is an asset
- All employees of the Norwegian Refugee Council should be able to adhere to our Code of Conduct and the four organizational values: Dedicated, innovative, inclusive and accountable.
We Can Offer
- Commencement: ASAP/October 2019
- Duration: 3 months (One year renewal)
- Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s general directions.
- Duty station: Maiduguri, with frequent travels. Travel outside Maiduguri is dependent on changing security conditions, especially for certain roads in the area.
- Approved health certficate will be requested before contract start.
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Procedures and CV Registration
- Please note that you are required to enter the geographical location for all your previous positions while registering your CV. There is no specific field for this information in our CV form, but you can use the “Company name” field for both company and location.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply!!!
- Nigerian Nationals only
Application Deadline: 2nd October, 2019