Plan International is an independent development and humanitarian non-profit organisation that advances children’s rights and equality for girls. We support children’s rights from birth until they reach adulthood, and enable children to prepare for – and respond to – crises and adversity. We believe in the power and potential of every child, but know this is often suppressed by poverty, violence, exclusion and discrimination.We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Gender in Emergencies Specialist – Regional Lake Chad Programme
Location: FCT, Abuja
Under the general guidance of the Lake Chad Program Coordinator, the Gender in Emergencies Specialist will:
- Position Plan International as NGO partner of choice for promoting gender equality and protecting girls’ rights in the Lake Chad Basin through programming and evidence-based influencing work addressing the needs of girls, adolescent girls in particular, within the Lake Chad Basin
- Internal: Leadership within the Lake Chad Programme on Gender programming, developing clear and realistic conceptual thinking, guidance, tools and build capacities. In addition, provide technical advice to our Country Offices in Cameroon, Niger, Nigeria and the whole Lake Chad programme in ensuring Gender is incorporated in a meaningful way in to the design, implementation and monitoring of all our projects.
- Provide gender expertise within the LC Programme for strategical analysis, gender assessments, capacity building, proposal development as well as gender-sensitive monitoring and evaluation.
- Contributing to shape the programme vision for the Lake Chad Programme focusing on girls’ rights and gender equality in line with 100 Million reasons
- Use the results of the Research on “Adolescent Girls in the Lake Chad Crisis” to develop programmatic guidance and to strengthen our influencing work around adolescent girls
- providing learning for the organisation on who to operate on the humanitarian-development nexus, achieving our purpose of advancing children’s rights and equality for girls.
- Support the Lake Chad Programme and the country offices in Cameroon, Niger and Nigeria in the development of projects that are consistently gender aware and show a strong contribution to gender transformative programming and girls’ rights.
- Engage actively in the Gender in Emergencies working group to strengthen Plan Internationals ability to implement gender transformative programmes and ability to identify and address the needs and rights of girls in emergencies.
- Support the Lake Chad Programme to develop gender transformative indicators its Results Framework.
- Support technical specialists to conduct gender analysis in their sector specific needs assessments.
- Undertake gender assessments and analysis
- Support country responses to ensure Gender is considered in all aspects of their work.
- In collaboration with sector leads develop programme models and case studies on gender transformative programmes to support the Lake Chad Programme replicate and scale-up good practice
- Provide technical assistance to COs and NOs to develop high quality gender transformative project proposals and provide strategic leadership on advancing gender equality across the humanitarian and development portfolio.
- Be deployed as a technical advisor within the Lake Chad region to support the design and integration of gender equality targeted actions, to lead on gender mainstreaming throughout the humanitarian response as well as build staff and partner capacity.
Learning and Capacity Building (10%):
- Support the capacity building of staff to understand and use the concepts around gender equality who can then create, deliver and monitor programmes that contribute to gender transformative work.
- Provide coaching and mentorship to program staff and partners to ensure gender is integrated in program strategies and plans.
- Support the development and implementation of skills development workshops ensuring gender is core to the modules developed.
- Document lessons learned from projects to support the Lake Chad Programme continuously learn from its programmes.
Research, policy and Advocacy (10%):
- Support learning, knowledge management and policy impact by authoring, commissioning and contributing to publications, policy documents, briefing notes and other resource materials ensuring that the Lake Chad Programme has distinct knowledge and evidence on gender transformative programming
Representation and Partnership (10%):
- Represent Plan International at relevant clusters, working groups, and other events related to gender
- Identify opportunities and establish dialogue towards partnerships with other agencies
- Support the development of the Lake Chad Programme’s profile in gender equality programming in particularly in regards to girls.
Technical Expertise, Skills And Knowledge
- University degree or appropriate work experience in a field relevant to the position
- Significant experience in planning, design and implementation of integrated humanitarian programmes
- Significant experience in vulnerability and gender analysis and tackling gender inequality and exclusion
- Significant experience of working in a range of humanitarian contexts (in particular in protracted crisis)
- Proven experience of leading gender programming and mainstreaming gender
- Experience in working with children and girls’ rights
- Experience on capacity building of staff on gender
- Knowledge of international humanitarian standards and codes of conduct
- Strong analytical skills: secondary/primary data analysis
- Advocacy, influencing and negotiating skills, experienced in gaining commitment from a wide range of people, bringing about change and providing support from a distance
- External representation and communication skills
- Strong English and French language skills
- Flexibility to travel within the Lake Chad region, within security limitations set by Plan International.
- Experience conducting humanitarian assessments – including gender analysis through the use of participatory methodologies – and revising monitoring and evaluation tools to capture gender equality considerations for different sectors
- Experience in implementing GBV programmes
- Strong team player, staff capacity building and motivation skills in teamwork and networking
- Excellent skills in writing funding submissions and donor reports.
- Be up to date on relevant global policy and programming relating to gender equality.
How to Apply
Interest and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Job Title: Driver
Location: FCT, Abuja
- The purpose of this role is to provide transportation services to Plan staff in a safe, courteous and timely manner.
Dimension of Role
- Communicates within Plan International Nigeria. The post holder will contribute towards the operational aspects of the office and programmes, interfacing with both operational and programme team members.
- The post holder will also contribute towards the organisational development of Plan Internationals implementing partners.
Vehicle maintenance and management:
- Cleans vehicle and perform routine checks to ensure it has proper working tools on a daily basis.
- Refuels vehicle using an approved fuel voucher and records this on the vehicle log sheet timeously.
- Parks vehicle safely at designated place at the end of each working day not later than 6 pm.
- Ensures that after hours travels have prior formal approval by the admin department.
- Ensure vehicle movement log book is filled timely and regularly.
- To report immediately to the Admin & Logistic Coordinator, all accidents or issues involving Plan International vehicles.
- Compliance to the motor vehicle and travel policy provisions of Plan international Nigeria.
Staff and material transportation:
- Transports staff and designated people to all areas as instructed and with approved vehicle request forms.
- Ferries goods to required points as may be directed from time to time.
- Ensure vehicles have necessary materials such as umbrellas, first aid box, map, fire extinguishers etc.
- Ensure that all Plan assets are not left unattended in the vehicle whilst parked.
- Files in accurately vehicle log books and submits to the Admin & Logistic Coordinator.
- Prepares monthly vehicles’ maintenance reports for allocated vehicles.
Other services provision:
- Dispatch and deliver all documents between Plan and other service providers.
- Assist in sourcing for quotations towards the procurement of goods and materials for program delivery as per corporate procedures to ensure value for money is obtained
- Dispatch of goods and materials to various projects offices to facilitate program delivery without any reports of loss or destruction of items
- Comply with Plan’s Child Protection Policy at all times to safeguard and protect the child at all times without any reports or incidents of child abuse.
- Perform any other duties that may be assigned from time to time to support the attainment of organizational goals.
Knowledge, Skills and Behaviours Required to Achieve Role’s Objectives
Qualifications and Experience:
- Good communication, interpersonal and computer skills
- Class B drivers licence.
- Advanced or Ordinary level certificate
- A minimum of 3 years of experience in vehicle maintenance and driving.
- Work experience in an NGO setup will be an added advantage
- Any relevant certification in driving/clerical services will be an added advantage.
- Fulfil Plan’s Child Protection Policy at all times to prevent children from all forms of child abuses.
- Demonstrate wide knowledge of the road network in Abuja, FCT and all states of the federation.
- Confirmed and demonstrated successful experience in a similar role
- Good knowledge of grammar, composition, spelling and punctuation.
- Excellent interpersonal relationship with both internal and external clients
- Proficiency with PC’s and computer programs including Word, Excel, and Adobe Acrobat.
- Ability to speak good English and any other language is an added advantage.
- Good planning and organizational abilities
- Good supervisory and listening abilities
- Communicates clearly and effectively
- Ability to multi- task.
- Good analytical abilities.
- Good time management skills.
- Maintain image of the organization by example and outmost professionalism.
- Show courtesy and being respectful toward individual, colleagues, superiors and visitors.
- Be dynamic, patient and a good time keeper
- Ability to listen and pay attention to details.
- Good team player.
How to Apply
Interest and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline: 28th March, 2019