The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need. We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Aviation Associate
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Requisition ID: 829578
Employment Type: Full Time
- To provide and/or oversee a range of coordination, administrative, and technical activities that support the delivery of a safe and effective air service to the humanitarian community.
Key Accountabilities (not all-inclusive)
- Provide operational coordination and technical support for air operations, ensuring compliance with WFP standards, including risk management processes, to support safe and effective air operations for the humanitarian community.
- Liaise with airport officials, other local authorities and external parties in order to obtain necessary clearances, documentation and authorizations required for air operations.
- Carry out pre-flight actions to ensure that all registered passengers and cargo are duly carried on the flight in coordination with crew to ensure safe flights.
- Collate all post-flight documentation in order to confirm flights have taken place in compliance with established conditions and, occasionally, review and evaluate the performance of air operators.
- Resolve or escalate operational problems, using initiative, liaising with all parties, and navigating complex security landscapes, to ensure their timely resolution in adherence with WFP standards.
- Support negotiation of local service contracts in order to establish effective partnerships on optimal terms and conditions facilitating air operations.
- Research and analyse data, and produce technical reports that enable decision-making and support planning, execution and reporting in order to ensure contractual performance.
- Update and further develop existing databases and records, ensuring that relevant information is accurate, organised and available for others to access, and supports reporting requirements.
- Respond to customer queries, following standard processes and obtaining guidance or escalating as required, to ensure timely resolution of all enquiries with a high standard of client service.
- Build relationships with internal counterparts, in order to support the alignment of aviation activities with wider programmes and ensure a coherent approach to air operations.
- Supervise the work of other staff, providing practical advice and guidance, to ensure individual and team objectives are delivered to agreed standards and deadlines.
- Make evidence-based recommendations, and support process reviews and improvements in methods and practices, in order to maximise the performance of air operations and related activities.
- Establish or maintain minimum procedures necessary to ensure a sound safety management system for the conduct of air operations.
- Follow standard emergency preparedness practices to support WFP to quickly respond in its core areas at the onset of a crisis.
Other Specific Job Requirements:
- This section is optional to describe additional responsibilities & knowledge required for the specific job
Desired Experiences for entry into the Role
- Experience in dispatching flights from uncontrolled airfields.
- Experience in interpreting operational flight plans.
- Experience in fuel planning, fuel management and supervising refueling operations.
- Experience in airside operations and marshaling procedures
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Application Deadline: 9th October 2023 by 11:59 pm (GMT+1).
- Qualified female candidates are encouraged to apply.
- Only Nigerian nationals or holders of valid residence and work permits are eligible to apply for this position
- Applications are to be submitted and recieved online and in English language only.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Canvassing is strictly prohibited. Canvassing of any sort will lead to automatic disqualification of the concerned applicant.
- Selected candidate will be employed on a fixed-term contract with a probationary period of one year.
- WFP has a zero-tolerance approach to conduct such as fraud, sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to WFP’s standards of conduct and will therefore undergo rigorous background verification internally or through third parties. Selected candidates will also be required to provide additional information as part of the verification exercise. Misrepresentation of information provided during the recruitment process may lead to disqualification or termination of employment
- WFP will not request payment at any stage of the recruitment process including at the offer stage. Any requests for payment should be refused and reported to local law enforcement authorities for appropriate action.