UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
UN Women, with funding from the Japanese government, is implementing a one year project titled ” Mainstreaming Gender into Humanitarian Response in Nigeria” This project is a humanitarian action component of UN Women’s current Peace and Security programme in Nigeria. It is designed to address the needs of internally displaced women and girls especially survivors of Sexual and Gender Based Violence (SGBV). It will focus on filling critical gender gaps in the on-going humanitarian response activities in three areas:
Strengthen emergency assistance initiatives to Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) women/girls and survivors of SGBV in target areas.
Improve the economic capacity and social rehabilitation of women affected by crisis for peaceful cohabitation in target areas.
Strengthen humanitarian coordination mechanisms for a more comprehensive and gender-responsive approach in Nigeria.
Under the overall guidance and direction of the supervisor, the Project Officer provides project support to the effective management of UN Women programmes in the Country Office by contributing in the project design, formulation, implementation and evaluation. S/he supports the delivery of UN Women programmes by analyzing results achieved during implementation and supporting appropriate application of systems and procedures. She/he works in close collaboration with the programme and operations team, UN Women HQ staff, Government officials, multi and bi-lateral donors and civil society ensuring successful UN Women programme implementation under portfolio.
Job Title: National Gender and Economic Rehabilitation Officer
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
- Provide advice on the project aimed at ensuring internally displaced women and girls have increased access to adequate survivor service;
- Contribute to the empowerment of women and girls IDPs and their vulnerable host communities;
- Strengthening humanitarian coordination systems in target states;
- Monitoring and evaluation;
- Donor reporting.
- Provide advice on the project aimed at ensuring internally displaced women and girls have increased access to adequate survivor service:
- Advices the project coordinator on the project direction and options at the state level based on a knowledge of the humanitarian response, priorities, challenges and emerging issues;
- Contribute to the establishment of functional crises centers in target states and communities;
- Ensures target survivors of gender based violence receive support while maintaining confidentiality of survivors:
- Participates in the initiatives by other relevant stakeholders in the assigned focus area translating UN Women’s priorities;
- Engage with government agencies tasked with ensuring support for victims gander based violence;
- Facilitates the collaborative relationships with other UN agencies, experts, government counterparts ensuring timely and efficient delivery of inputs related to the humanitarian response.
- Contribute to the empowerment of women and girls IDPs and their vulnerable host communities:
- Review project proposals from CSOs and cooperatives as it relates to the empowerment of women and host communities;
- Ensure UN Women collaborates with other organisations working in the area of economic empowerment for internally displaced women and girls.
Strengthening Humanitarian Coordination Systems in Target States:
- Ensure gender equality and women’s empowerment consideration in the implementation and planning of the humanitarian strategic response plan in target states;
- Provide technical and capacity building support to humanitarian and Government actors, including the coordination system;
- Ensure that gender equality and women’s empowerment needs and rights are adequately and sustainably integrated into all humanitarian response;
- Ensure good partnerships with the UN Agencies, government institutions, bi-lateral and multi-lateral donors, private sector, civil society etc.
Monitoring And Evaluation:
- Develop a monitoring and evaluation plan in-line with the principles of Result-Based Management;
- Ensures humanitarian data is captured as required by the donor;
- Collects knowledge on current and emerging trends by gathering relevant information on projects, strategies, approaches and ongoing experience for lessons learned, best practices;
- Contributes to knowledge networks and communities of practice;
- Manages the project’s appraisal and evaluation according to results-based management requirements;
- Supports the effective application of RBM tools and monitoring achievement of results.
- Work closely with partners and consultants to ensure timely submission of progress and final reports to donor;
- Provide inputs to the donor reports in terms of accomplishments.
- Ensure close collaboration with UN Women Administrative and Finance Staff to ensure efficient financial management and efficient transfer and tracking of funds for grants and contractors.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UN Women;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism;
- Fulfills all obligations to gender sensitivity and zero tolerance for sexual harassment.
- Knowledge and experience of working on gender, elections and democratization processes;
- Substantive knowledge of issues on gender equality and women’s empowerment;
- Outstanding team-building, organizational and communication skills;
- Capacity to work with diverse partners including governments, donors and civil society.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree in Economics, Gender and human rights related disciplines, Sociology, Psychology, Social Sciences or related field.
- Minimum 5 years of relevant experience at the national or international level with development projects preferably including some experience in design, monitoring and evaluation of development projects. Knowledge of gender and human rights issues desirable.
- Experience with working with Internally Displaced Persons.
- Experience in Economic Empowerment of Women is an added advantage.
- Must have good knowledge and experience of gender issues as it affects the northern Nigeria.
- Must have good working knowledge of M&E especially as it relates to gender issues.
- Prior experience in the UN System and the Region will be an asset.
- Fluency in English is required;
- Knowledge of official national language essential.
- Working knowledge of Hausa is a requirement.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should apply below