Universal Humanitarian Aid Initiative (UHAI) is a humanitarian and developmental non-governmental organization that insist that the world can be changed positively where everyone can live a full life and free from poverty. UHAI work nationwide for profound change tackling the root cause of poverty, empowering people to have a brighter future, and creating enabling environment for communities to exercise their capacities. We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Finance Officer
Responsibilities & Duties
- Working closely with the Head Finance & Admin, process all approved payments in line with standard practices with appropriate supporting documents.
- As part of the finance team, provide administrative and technical support to the Staff to ensure that all advances are retired, and reports are prepared and submitted on a timely basis.
- Filling of retired payment vouchers with supporting documents.
- Assist with bank reconciliations, petty cash management, and cost projections.
- Posting of daily transactions (Income & Expenditure) using accounting Package daily entries, bookkeeping, filling vouchers and monthly journals, and updating the financial system daily ensuring duly supported documentation.
- Carry out banking transactions and recording inflows from home office and payment to vendors and other stakeholders.
- Preparation of Payment Vouchers (PVs).
- Posting of PVs and preparation of financial reports.
- Responsible for budget tracking, bank statement reconciliation and preparation of staff payroll.
- Keep financial records and write up financial reports.
- Coordinate and support the finance unit management of accounting systems, policies, and procedures in compliance with HCD+ established accounting standards, Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), donors’ rules and regulations, and legal requirements to support high-quality programs serving the project beneficiaries.
- Prepare various periodic and ad hoc financial reports, as needed, and perform variance analyses to assist with decision-making and proper management of financial resources.
- Maintain petty cash and raise payment as per the demand.
- Prepare and submit monthly cash forecasts.
- Assist reviewing all Procurement Requests for proper coding and budget adequacy before approval.
- In charge of making requisition for funds, reimbursement, and involvement in the capacity building of the Staffs on financial management.
- Ensure that all statutory remittances are paid on or before their due dates.
- Lead the preparation of E-payments schedules for review daily.
- Payment request reviews, requests for additional information, and ensure that payments with the Finance team continue to move through the proscribed process.
- Any other duty that may be assigned.
Support Budget preparation and Budgetary Control for the effective implementation of financial plans. To do this, the role will:
- Prepare the entire project’s annual budget as part of the preparation of the Country’s annual budget.
- Monitor the project’s budgets to ensure spending as per plan to avoid over/under spending.
- Support in the preparation of the quarterly Projects budget.
Support the Field Office Treasury Management and Cash Forecasting to ensure the availability of funds for country operations. To do this, the role will:
- Support the Project Manager to ensure that monthly Cash forecasts are timely submitted.
Implement Internal Financial Controls & Payment processes for the attainment of value for money at all times. To do this, the role will:
- Ensure payments made are as per Plan’s approved policies, procedures, and that of the donor rules and regulations.
- Review the finance sections of purchase requisitions, advance requests, liquidations, and purchase orders for financial conformity with respect to the project.
- Support the review of project payments issued before sign off by Plan Authorised Managers.
- Prepare project’s financial audit action list after each audit and ensure compliance.
- Ensure all expected costs are timely and accurately recovered from the project.
Support the accurate and timely payment of statutory deductions. To do this, the role will:
- Support to ensure withholding tax credit notes are promptly collected for distribution to vendors/consultants related to the Project.
- Support provide trainings and share good experience/practice amongst the team to strengthen team capacity and team building.
- Keep your supervisor informed of any initiative or difficulties relating to the job’s responsibilities.
- Fulfil Plan’s Child Protection Policy at all times to protect children from all forms of abuse.
- Perform any other duties that may be assigned by your Supervisor from time to time to support the achievement of organizational goals.
- A B.Sc. Degree in Accounting, Economics or Social Sciences is required
- 3 – 5 years of professional experience in an NGO environment
- Professional proficiency in spoken and written English and strong interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to keep confidential accounting/financial information.
- Fair knowledge in grants and project management.
- Knowledge and use of accounting softwares
- Preferred experience: knowledge of and experience with the key donors in the industry is strongly preferred.
- Experience providing capacity development assistance to sub-grantees strongly preferred.
- Experience working with sub-grantees required.
- Good working experience with Accounting package – QuickBooks
- Excellent working knowledge of Microsoft Office – Excel, Ms Word, PowerPoint, etc.
- Demonstrated flexibility and openness in responding to changing work priorities and environment.
- Demonstrated analytical, leadership and organizational skills.
- Proven ability to work and collaborate with individuals and teams in different cultural settings and at all levels.
- Communicates clearly and effectively.
- Ability to facilitate participative processes for all stakeholders for implementing grant projects.
- Knowledge and understanding of Nigeria’s policy environment
- Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills including good listening skills, influencing, negotiation and coaching.
- Capacity to build and maintain relationships and to work effectively in a multi-cultural and multi-ethnic environment respecting diversity.
- Experience with Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point and Outlook.
- Strong team building skills, Organized and methodical.
- Independence, objectivity and integrity.
- Good coordination skills and ability to deliver to tight deadlines.
- Excellent and demonstrable experience in grant and financial management.
- Fluency in English Language.
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV to: firstname.lastname@example.org using the Job Title as the subject of the email
Application Deadline: 8th September, 2023.