The Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS) is a US non-profit, tax-exempt, private organization established in 1895 that saves wildlife and wild places by understanding critical issues, crafting science-based solutions, and taking conservation actions that benefit nature and humanity. With more than a century of experience, long-term commitments in dozens of landscapes, presence in more than 60 nations, and experience helping to establish over 150 protected areas across the globe, WCS has amassed the biological knowledge, cultural understanding, and partnerships to ensure that vibrant, wild places and wildlife thrive alongside local communities. Working with local communities and organizations, that knowledge is applied to address species, habitat, and ecosystem management issues critical to improving the quality of life of poor rural people whose livelihoods depend on directly utilizing natural resources. WCS aims to conserve the world’s largest wild places in 15 priority regions, home to more than 50% of the world’s biodiversity. This is outlined in our 2020 strategy, which positions WCS to maintain its historical focus on protecting species while developing an ambitious plan to engage with a rapidly changing world. The challenges are greater than ever, but with the focus, dedication, and passion of a committed staff combined with a unique mixture of field, zoo, and aquarium expertise-WCS will continue to set the bar for science, conservation action, and education that has driven our success in protecting wildlife and wild places for over a century. We hold ourselves to the highest standards, adhering to core values of respect, accountability and transparency, innovation, diversity and inclusion, collaboration, and integrity. We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Monitoring Assistant
Location: Calabar, Cross River
Employment Type: Full-time
About the job
- The purpose of this position is to oversee and ensure the collection of quality M&E data. The primary responsibility of this position is to provide programmatic support and technical assistance to the WCS programme in Cross River State through collaboration with stakeholders to ensure program quality.
- Essential functions of this position will include monitoring, evaluation, accountability, and learning (MEL), program implementation, and reporting.
- Collect required data in the field to inform the WCS Monitoring, Evaluation, Adaptation, and Learning (MEAL) programme.
- Support the development and implementation of program MEAL plans to capture project performance and results, including data reporting, assessments, and all monitoring and evaluation activities.
- Support the development of data flow patterns for programs that will ensure timely data collection and reporting.
- Report results of MEAL activities by providing written documentation about progress toward achieving indicators/targets, as appropriate.
- Lead field office-level efforts to monitor project interventions, document results, and provide feedback to stakeholders to guide decision-making.
- Ensure data quality through data verification procedures, including routine data quality audits.
- S/He will lead on documenting case studies and success stories.
- A minimum of Bachelor’s Degree in Natural Resource Management, Social Sciences, or a related field is preferable.
- The incumbent candidate must have at least two (2) years of relevant experience in Monitoring and Evaluating project activities.
- Documentation and reporting skills: Accurate and detailed documentation of activities, observations, and reports is required for this role. Proficiency in preparing concise and comprehensive reports is essential for tracking progress, sharing information, and ensuring compliance.
- Must be a pro-active, stable, robust character and a good team player.
- Must be able to demonstrate experience in data collection and community outreach.
- Full professional proficiency in English is compulsory.
- Adaptability and flexibility: This position is mainly field-based, and the incumbent must understand that work environments can be unpredictable and dynamic. S/he must adapt to changing circumstances, work under pressure, and handle unexpected situations.
- Communication skills: Effective communication is essential for this role. The incumbent will be required to interact with colleagues and stakeholders in a multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural team.
- Organizational skills: This role often requires managing multiple tasks, projects, or assignments simultaneously. Strong organizational skills, including time management and prioritization abilities, are crucial to meet deadlines and stay on top of responsibilities.
- Problem-solving abilities: This role may often involve encountering unexpected challenges or issues. Being able to think critically, analyze problems, and find practical solutions is crucial.
- Physical stamina: This role might occasionally involve physical labour or work in challenging environments. Having the physical stamina and fitness required to carry out tasks safely and efficiently is essential.
N200,000 – N250,000 Monthly.
Interested and qualified candidates should send a detailed Application / Cover Letter and CV (PDF) with the names and contact information of three references to: email@example.com using “Monitoring Assistant, Calabar” as the subject of the email.
Application Deadline: 31st July, 2023.
- WCS is an equal-opportunity employer dedicated to hiring and supporting a diverse workforce. We are committed to cultivating an inclusive work environment and look for future team members who share that same value.
- The Hiring Manager will only contact shortlisted candidates for an interview.