The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
Job Title: IT Support Officer
Job Category Foreign and Commonwealth Office (Operations and Corporate Services)
Job Subcategory Information Technology Services
Job Description (Roles and Responsibilities)
Main purpose of job:
To work as Information Technology Support Officer in the management section of the
British High Commission.
Roles and responsibilities / what will the jobholder be expected to achieve
- Maintain and support the BHCs IT platform including both Software and Hardware
- Liaise with the UK IT Helpdesk teams and other third parties to assist in resolving problems.
- Operate as the BHC Abuja IT Team Leader and directly line manage all Deputy IT Support Officers (DITSO’s).
- Provide a focal point for users IT related queries.
- Monitor the IT shared mailbox to ensure all problems are resolved in a timely fashion and to the IT teams SLA’s.
- Help ensure the security of IT systems and report any potential breaches of security.
- Support and maintain support and maintain a variety of services to include VOIP telephony, data and video conferencing services
- Support the BHC Unclassified Internet and its infrastructure.
- Assist with provision and support of BHC supplied mobile phones , wireless network and wireless devices
- Ensure established processes for IT support are followed at all times.
- Provide IT support to remote users and 3rd party customers.O
- Complete the IT Audit in line with FCO guidelines.
- Act as a budget monitor for the IT Team.
- Provide support for the BHC SharePoint website as a Power User.
- Perform annual Staff Appraisal for managed team.
- Act as backup staff for external internet service providers.
- Assist with any other ad-hoc IT related tasks within the High Commission
Essential qualifications and experience
Previous experince in using Microsof Vista , Microsoft Office 2007, Windows Network , Windows 10, Office 365, IP networking, Internet and Intranet, VIOP technologies, Users Helpdesk Support as well as training users
Desirable qualifications and experience
Recognized IT qualification is desirable
Changing and Improving, Making Effective Decisions, Collaborating and Partnering, Managing a Quality Service
Grade B3 (L)
Type of Position Permanent
Location (City) Abuja
Number of vacancies 1
Starting monthly salary () N493,126
Start Date 1 August 2016
- Due to the nature of the role it is necessary that any applicant be security cleared to confidential
- status, or demonstrate that they can easily obtain such clearance. Clearance is
- most easily obtained by UK nationals with at least 3 years residence in the
- past 10 years in the UK, USA, Australia, Canada or New Zealand. Nationals of
- the latter four countries may also be able to get clearance. Candidates must
- have a traceable history over the last 5 years
- Employees recruited locally by the British High Commission in Abuja are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local employment law in Nigeria.
- Employees who are not eligible to pay local income tax: e.g. certain third-country nationals and spouses/partners of UK diplomats will have their salaries abated by an equivalent amount.
- Reference checking and security clearances will be conducted.
- Please upload a copy of your British passport with your CV
- Any questions you may have about this position will only be answered during interview, should you be invited.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should apply below
Application deadline 20 June 2016