The Olusegun Obasanjo Presidential Library (OOPL) in Abeokuta Ogun State is seeking to hire an outstanding qualified candidate to serve as the Manager of the Archives Department.
OOPL is recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Head of Archives
Duties and Responsibilities
- This position reports to the Deputy Chief Coordinator
- Evaluate the OOPL archival collections, plan, develop and implement the digital preservation programme of the OOPL archives; , organise and monitor the digital archives project;
- Research, analyse, evaluate existing and new systems, technology or tools for the management of digital archives and make recommendations for their deployment;
- Advise the OOPL Management and staff on digital record keeping issues and practices
- Work in collaboration with archiving contractors and consultants.
- Manage the OOPLs Records Management Programme, Carry out disposition functions by applying the life-cycle concept to information assets, including appraisal by liaising with records-originating offices within the OOPL regarding the transfer and/or disposal of their records; assures that retention schedules, registration and physical aspects of records transfers meet established standards; oversees space management;
- Manage and supervise the staff and operations of the Archives Department
- Lead the archives team to acquire, evaluate records for preservation and retention, appraise, select, preserve, arrange and describe records that have archival value, according to accepted archival principles.
- Organise, monitor and evaluate work done on acquisition, accessioning, appraisal, arrangement description, storage, preservation and conservation of both manual and digital archives;
- Develop and implement strategies, policies and procedures for the management of the OOPL archives ( Paper and electronic) and access to them under defined conditions; Develop classification systems, organize archival records to facilitate access to archival materials;
- Any other duties as may be required.
- Advanced University Degree in Archival Science, Records Management or Information Management;
- Training and qualification in digital archiving systems; Knowledge about how to use Electronic Document Management Systems is a must.
- Demonstrable knowledge of record keeping and archiving theory and practice, and of established standards in records management and archives management;
- Demonstrable knowledge of current standards, best practices and trends in digital archives preservation and digital record keeping;
- Good communication and organizational skills;
- Genuine interest in history and preserving records for posterity; Demonstrable conceptual, analytical and evaluative skills;
- Ability to conduct research and analysis, prepare and present recommendations; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results.
- Minimum of 10 years of progressively responsible experience in archives management, records management or information management.
- Experience of managing digital records and archives, including digital preservation, is required.
- Knowled of strict information security systems is highly desirable mandatory.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should forward a copy of their CV’s to: [email protected] making the job title the subject of the mail.
Application Deadline: Not Specified
Note: Only qualified candidates shall be contacted.