TRC Companies, Inc. – A pioneer in groundbreaking scientific and engineering developments since the 1960s, TRC is a national engineering, environmental consulting and construction management firm providing integrated services to the energy, environmental and infrastructure markets. We serve a broad range of commercial, industrial and government clients, implementing complex projects from initial concept to operations.
TRC is 4,100 technical professionals and support personnel at more than 100 offices throughout the U.S. Our clients depend on TRC’s multidisciplinary teams to design solutions to their toughest business challenges in the energy, environmental and infrastructure markets.
Through our continuing commitment to develop top talent, deepen our understanding of our clients’ needs, and deliver sustainable solutions to the communities in which we live and work, we are tackling some of the most pressing energy, environmental and infrastructure challenges the world faces.
TRC Companies, Inc. is recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Relay Technician (Utility)
General Description of Position
This individual will perform the work associated with and including, but not limited to, the installation, testing, inspection, calibration, and repair of all system protection devices, transducers, and equipment (microprocessor based and electronic relays, circuits, protective controls, switchboards, and other substation equipment) on Client s’ electric transmission and distribution systems.
Essential Functions of the Position
- Install, test, inspect, calibrate, and repair all electronic relays, circuits, system protection devices, transducers, and equipment (microprocessor based and electric relays, protective controls, switchboards, and other substation equipment); Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) and remote terminals.
- Complete and deliver accurate reports and information as required for TRC reporting requirements.
- Perform general housekeeping duties in and around the relay and substation work areas and assist others in maintaining tools, equipment, and other work-related materials in proper working condition.
- Perform functional verification of protective schemes and equipment.
- Performs additional duties as required to support department goals and projects.
- Diagnose electrical and electronic problems; interpret manufacturer’s drawings, equipment manuals, or diagrams; and determine the proper course of action to complete corrective and preventive maintenance, as required, for the safe and efficient operation of all system protection equipment.
- Consult with manufacturer’s technical support to determine proper repair or maintenance procedures.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
- Prefer associate degree in Industrial Electrical, Instrument and Control, or Electronics field and prefer two years increasingly responsible system protection experience directly related to the installation and maintenance of electro-mechanical and electronic relays and control equipment utilized by electric utilities, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Basic knowledge of alternating current (ac) and direct current (dc) theory and relaying protection schemes.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills at the level required to successfully perform the essential responsibilities of the position.
- Able to operate computers and associated programs at the level required to successfully perform the essential responsibilities of the position.
- Possess valid driver’s license
- Able to read and understand construction and manufacturer’s drawings and specifications.
- Able to read and understand schematic diagrams.
- Able to troubleshoot, identify, and resolve problems in a timely manner, using sound judgment.
- Ability to utilize a relay test set to prove protective device settings. Familiarity with Doble Protest, SEL Acelerator, and ENOSERVE RTS a plus.
- Able to gather and analyze information.
Job Title: Commissioning Engineer
Location: Kano, NG
General Description of Position:
This position reports to the Regional Manager, Field Services and this individual functions as the responsible electrical commissioning engineer on assigned projects and provides overall project planning, coordination and supervision of construction, commissioning and testing activities to ensure compliance with plans and specifications.
Essential Functions of the Position:
- Act as resident engineer on projects of any magnitude.
- Interpret complex plans and specifications and apply available information to ensure that all project design requirements are satisfied.
- Review project plans and schedules for constructability.
- Plan, perform and document the commissioning of various control and power circuits to ensure the intended operation and safety of equipment and personnel are met.
- Takes a lead role in resolving construction problems, procedures, and methods through working with the customer and TRC engineering personnel, inspectors, contractors, and suppliers.
- Maintain familiarity with appropriate engineering and construction codes to ensure compliance with applicable codes.
- Prepare and/or monitor complex construction and commissioning schedules to ensure timely completion of the work.
- Receive and inspect equipment to be installed on the project and approve for payment.
- Maintain familiarity with work rules applicable to various collective bargaining crafts employed on project.
- Checking completed job for adequacy of design and documentation.
- Perform complex economic analyses of engineering alternatives.
- Serve as project engineer or project manager on assigned projects.
- Promote efficient flow of information and ensure complete and accurate record keeping.
- Prepare, conduct and document daily site safety meetings (tailboards) in accordance with client and TRC safety policies and standards.
- Prepare and/or implement outage and energization plans, and detailed commissioning plans.
- Institute, direct and document changes to the work when required by differing site conditions.
- Conduct on-site design or investigation work to ensure adequacy of contractor’s methods. Evaluate contractor’s procedures, starting and completion times, and staffing requirements for each phase of construction.
- Prepare and institute programs for testing of equipment and materials and start-up of systems.
- Review and approve detailed test reports of various types of electrical equipment.
- Responsible for creating and managing client and subcontract change order requests and generating construction related change orders.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must have good PC skills and experience with Adobe and Microsoft programs.
- Physical Demands – The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Willing to work flexible hours, weekends, overtime holidays and night work.
- Must be available for out-of-town travel of up to several weeks at a time.
- Education and/or Experience – A Bachelor of Science degree in Electrical Engineering from an accredited school or University is preferred; and five years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Certificates, licenses, registrations – P.E. preferred.
- Ensure that the Company’s QA/QC Procedures are adhered to when instituting field revisions.
- Be familiar with the Company’s drawing system and design and construction standards as well as applicable industry codes and practices.