Posted on :
13 Mar, 2010
13 Mar, 2010
The Operations Coordinator leads and guides the DGD Programme Support Unit and fosters collaboration within the team and with the CO and other UN Agencies consistent with rules and a client-oriented approach.
The Operations Coordinator works in close collaboration with programme and project teams in the CO, operations staff in other UN Agencies, UNDP HQs staff, and Government officials to successfully deliver operations services.
Summary of Key Functions:
* Ensuring strategic direction of DGD operations
* Programme financial resources management and supervision of the DGD finance team
* Coordination of Human Resources Management services as conducted by the UNDP CO
* Coordination of procurement and logistical services as conducted by the UNDP CO
* Information and communication management and supervision of ICT team
* Office services organization and management, establishment of partnerships with other UN Agencies
1. As the manager of the Programme Support Unit, ensures the strategic direction of operations focusing on achievement of the following results:
* Compliance of operations with UN/UNDP rules, regulations and policies, implementation of corporate operational strategies, establishment of management targets (BSC) and monitoring achievement of results.
* Provision of advice on strategies, policies and plans affecting Programme operations, delivery of practice advisory, knowledge and learning services.
* Establishment of collaborative arrangements with potential partners, a Client Relationship Management System for resource mobilization purposes and appropriate operational partnership arrangements.
* DGD business processes mapping and establishment of internal Standard Operating Procedures in Finance, Human Resources Management, Procurement, Logistical and ICT services, Results Management.
* Constant monitoring and analysis of the operating environment, quick readjustment of the operations, advice on legal considerations and risk assessment.
* Knowledge building and sharing with regards to management and operations in the DGD, organization of the operations staff trainings, synthesis of lessons learnt/best practices, and sound contributions to UNDP knowledge networks and communities of practice.
2. Ensures effective and accurate financial resources management and supervision of the DGD finance team focusing on achievement of the following results:
* Proper planning, expenditures tracking and audit of financial resources in accordance with UNDP rules and regulations, OM performing the function of Manager Level 2 in Atlas for vouchers and replenishments approval, deals management and bank reconciliations. Approval of pending disbursements as the “third authority” (cheques, bank transfers, EFT). Approval of bank reconciliations.
* Organization and oversight of DGD cash management processes, including liquidity management, recommendation of imprest level, risk assessment, bank relationship management; timely accounting and reconciliation of all transactions, security for cash assets on site.
* Routinely monitors financial exception reports for unusual activities, transactions, and investigates anomalies or unusual transactions. Informs supervisors and other UNDP staff at CO of the results of the investigation when satisfactory answers are not obtained.
3. Ensures strategic human resources management and coordinate with CO HR Unit on services focusing on achievement of the following results:
* DGD compliance with corporate human resources policies and strategies.
* Optimal staffing of the project.
* Oversight of recruitment processes and performance management systems ensuring link of job design with recruitment, performance management.
4. Ensures efficient procurement and logistical services management and coordinate with CO Service Center focusing on achievement of the following results:
* DGD compliance with corporate rules and regulations in the field and management of the DGD procurement strategies including sourcing strategy, supplier selection and evaluation, quality management, customer relationship management, e-procurement promotion and introduction, performance measurement.
* Management of the DGD contract strategy including tendering processes and evaluation, managing the contract and contractor, legal implications. Oversight of procurement processes and logistical services in accordance with UNDP rules and regulations, acting as Manager Level 2 in Atlas for Purchase orders approvals.
* Proper management of DGD assets, facilities, and logistical services.
5. Ensures forward-looking information and communication management and supervision of ICT team focusing on achievement of the following results:
* Maintains a secure, reliable infrastructure environment for ICT and adequately plans for disasters and recoveries.
* Use of Atlas functionality for improved business results and improved client services.
* Identification of opportunities and ways of converting business processes into web-based systems to address the issues of efficiency and full accountability.
* Promotion of different systems and applications for optimal content management, knowledge sharing, information provision and learning including e-registry, web-based office management system, etc.
Impact of Results
The key results have an impact on the overall economy, efficiency, and effectiveness of CO operations as it relates to the use of corporate resources in the following areas:
* Financial services
* Human Resources
* Procurement and logistical services
* Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards
* Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP
* Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
* Treats all people fairly without favoritism
* Knowledge Management and Learning
* Promotes knowledge management in UNDP and a learning environment in the office through leadership and personal example.
* Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more Practice Areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills
Development and Operational Effectiveness
* Ability to lead strategic planning, results-based management and reporting.
* Ability to lead formulation and monitoring of management projects.
* Solid knowledge in financial resources and human resources management, contract, asset and procurement, information and communication technology, general administration.
* Ability to lead business processes re-engineering, implementation of new systems (business side), and affect staff behavioral/ attitudinal change
Management and Leadership
* Builds strong relationships with clients, focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback
* Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude.
* Demonstrates good oral and written communication skills.
* Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities.
* Leads teams effectively and shows mentoring as well as conflict resolution skills.
* Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills.
* Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure
UNDP Certification programmes Prince2, Procurement.
Required Skills and Experience
* Master’s Degree or equivalent in Business Administration, Public Administration, Finance, Economics or related field.
* A first level university degree with a combination of relevant experience (additional 7 years) in Administration or other related field may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
* 7 years of relevant experience at the national and international level in providing management advisory services and/or managing staff and operational systems and establishing inter-relationships among international organization and national governments. Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, experience in handling of web based management systems.
* Fluency in written and spoken English is essential.
* Working knowledge of any of the three Nigerian major languages would be an advantage.
Deadline is 20th March 2010.